PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [10.04] How do i install old version of GDM?

frash23
July 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello! I have recently installed ubuntu 10.04 (through the minimal CD!). After isntallation, i installed gnome through "sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-enviroment".

Now, i need an older version of gdm, so i can install GDM themes.

How can i/is that possible to do?
Thanksi n advance ;)

msammels
July 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hey frash,

I'm pretty certain that if you did want to install something like GNOME 2.x (assuming that you currently have 3.x installed), then you would need to compile it from source.

However - and I'm not joking here - it would be easier to find an updated version of your theme, or use GNOME (Classic) (note, that won't fix the compatibility issues), or simply install Debian (which still uses GNOME 2.x)

frash23
July 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Oh, ok :(

dino99
July 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm

frash23
July 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thansk a lot!
I'll try and see if i can compile this!

dino99
July 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thansk a lot!
I'll try and see if i can compile this!

its already compiled ):P ubuntu is for human not bot :p

but note that ubuntu have chosen lightdm because gdm is not able be maintained (end of life)

deadflowr
July 4th, 2012, 03:54 PM
gdm is just a login display manager. to install

sudo apt-get install gdm

to switch to gdm over lightdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

then choose gdm, and reboot, the login screen will have reverted to the ole gnome 2.x login screen.

deadflowr
July 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
If your running Lucid, why do you need to install gnome2.xx? Gnome2.xx is the default for Lucid. Which version of gnome are you in need of?
I would be very cautious of any advice to compile it. Compiling old programs will leave your system vulnerable to any bugs that were never fixed during that programs lifetime, and Ubuntu's updates will never address them.

frash23
July 4th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Dude, if you read the post i installed it through the minimal CD, wich is 12 mb, then install package gnome-desktop-enviroment.
I dont need gnome, i need GDM, wich IS the login manager.
I need to change the THEME, wich is why. OK?

EDIT: oops, bad typo. I meant gdm not gnome

frash23
July 5th, 2012, 12:03 AM
The link doesnt work.
Can anybody help?