PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Question about shortcuts/execution

Red Squirrel
July 4th, 2012, 02:06 AM
How do I find out the path of a shortcut? In windows I can right click and go propeties, and I know where the exe is. How do I find out the location of the binary in the case of Linux?

Also how do I create custom start menu short cuts, and how do I make a program (such as Pidgen) open at startup.

On the same subject of executables, how do I run an console based executable directly within the GUI and actually see the console? I know I can do it from command line, but sometimes it's nice to do it right from the GUI especially for interactive command line type programs that I write in C++ and such.

Thanks in advance!

cipherboy_loc
July 4th, 2012, 05:09 AM
For the last question, regarding the creation of custom application icons.

Look into the creation of .desktop files (http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/). You could also copy an existing .desktop file (from /usr/share/applications) to your desktop and try modifying it. To create a system-wide launcher, put the file in /usr/share/applications/. If you don't want everyone on the system to be able to access this application, place it in ~/.local/share/applications/.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about xubuntu, so not sure if there are further steps you need to take.

Cipherboy

robtygart
July 4th, 2012, 05:20 AM
How do I find out the path of a shortcut? In windows I can right click and go propeties, and I know where the exe is. How do I find out the location of the binary in the case of Linux?

Also how do I create custom start menu short cuts, and how do I make a program (such as Pidgen) open at startup.

On the same subject of executables, how do I run an console based executable directly within the GUI and actually see the console? I know I can do it from command line, but sometimes it's nice to do it right from the GUI especially for interactive command line type programs that I write in C++ and such.

Thanks in advance!

If you looking for the orginal icon so you can link to it to launch the application then go to /usr/share/applications/

You can also find files by typing into your terminal
locate -i "search item"

LewisTM
July 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Run this command in a terminal

which <executable name>
For example which thunar will output /usr/bin/thunar

Right-click the Applications menu, choose Properties then Edit Menu.
Startup apps can be edited in the Settings Manager/Session and Startup

On the same subject of executables, how do I run an console based executable directly within the GUI and actually see the console? When you create a launcher, check 'Run in Terminal'

Cheers!

Red Squirrel
July 5th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Cool thanks for the help!

So for the executable, the only way then is to create a launcher? there's not a way to do it globally for all executable?

LewisTM
July 5th, 2012, 01:47 PM
You can run any command in a terminal with this

xfce4-terminal -e '<your command>'
Of course you can't set every program to display in a terminal. In Linux there are dozens that run silently in the background, you would be flooded with windows.

So if you want to see the output, just enter the command in a terminal. To make it easy, there's a nice utility called guake. Run it a login and you will be able to popup a terminal pane on your desktop with your favorite shortcut key. Properly configured, it would hide as soon as another window takes the focus, allowing you to continue working. Also add a & at the end of any command to fork it to the background and return you to the command prompt.