PDA

View Full Version : Vote for original Firefox and Thunderbird Icons

EPOX123
June 22nd, 2006, 06:11 AM
If you want to have ubuntu use the original icons here is your chance!
Vote Yes or No.

aysiu
June 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
I believe it's a legal, not an aesthetic issue.

EPOX123
June 22nd, 2006, 06:18 AM
Then why does evey major distro use them i remember reading some where, that they ask the community what they wanted and they chose the blue world but i hate the blue world :D

even ubuntu had original thunderbird icons in horay

aysiu
June 22nd, 2006, 06:23 AM
Perhaps they're misinformed.

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/faq.html

Can I distribute any of the Mozilla software from my website, by CD, or to my friends, employees or students?

If you are redistributing unchanged official stable binaries downloaded from mozilla.org, to anyone in any way and for any purpose, no further permissions are required from us. We request that you distribute the latest stable version (and of course, we believe that it's in your best interest to do so as well). The notification requirements of the MPL have been met for our binaries, so although it's a good idea, you are not required to ship source code.

If you want to distribute one of our products and this answer does not apply to you, please say so explicitly in your trademark use request, because otherwise you'll just get pointed at this FAQ entry :-) Ubuntu's Firefox is not an unchanged binary. It's a specialized version for Ubuntu.

FISHERMAN
June 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
I always Instal the original Ff & Tb icons after an update/reinstallation.
It doesn't take much time but I would prefer not having to do it.

aysiu
June 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
I always Instal the original Ff & Tb icons after an update/reinstallation.
It doesn't take much time but I would prefer not having to do it.
[howto] General 6.06 - SCRIPT: Take back the Firefox & Thunderbird icon (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199193)

RAV TUX
June 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
Then why does evey other distro use them i remember reading some where, that they ask the community what they wanted and they chose the blue world but i hate the blue world :D

What do you mean by every other distro?

I'm on Berry Linux out of Japan and they don't use the default icons.

So not exactly every other Distro.

aysiu
June 22nd, 2006, 07:11 AM
I think EPOX's point was that "every other distro" asks its community which icon the community prefers, and the community chooses the blue one over the original icon.

First I'd heard of this "every other distro" thing.

Shay Stephens
June 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
At first I wanted the Firefox icon, but I have become accutomed to the new look, and like the generic aspect of it. Whatever browser I decide to use in the future can have the same icon for ease of spotting.

So I am for keeping the big blue ball ;)

RAV TUX
June 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
At first I wanted the Firefox icon, but I have become accutomed to the new look, and like the generic aspect of it. Whatever browser I decide to use in the future can have the same icon for ease of spotting.

So I am for keeping the big blue ball ;)
I would prefer for Ubuntu to use the big orange ball instead.

EPOX123
June 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
I also want the original about dialogs, i hate the blue world and i hate the folder in thunderbird, looks ugly :D k at lest put a decent graphic

BWF89
June 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Ubuntu's Firefox is not an unchanged binary. It's a specialized version for Ubuntu.
What's different about Ubuntu's Firefox?

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Mabye the tango Epiphany icon should be used, or better yet, Epiphany.

What's different about Ubuntu's Firefox?
http://librarian.launchpad.net/3022419/firefox_1.5.dfsg%2B1.5.0.4-0ubuntu6.06.diff.gz

EPOX123
June 22nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
How about using the original icons but with ubuntu colors, LOL. eek, just any thing besides those plain and simple icons :???: hehehe.:mrgreen:

Wallakoala
June 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
I also want the original about dialogs, i hate the blue world and i hate the folder in thunderbird, looks ugly :D k at lest put a decent graphic

I'm not using firefox from the repos (I installed the official version in breezy because I wanted the newest) and the about dialog shows the regular firefox logo.

EPOX123
June 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Looks like the majority wants original icons :mrgreen:
Or at least difrent ones.

I like the elive firefox icon :)

EPOX123
June 24th, 2006, 10:19 PM
:mrgreen: ok last time i post for real LOL

If you haven't placed a vote, please vote I appreciate you voting, this is one of the ways for ubuntu developers to know what you want so please keep voting.

Have a good weekend.

nuvo
June 24th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm using the Automatix version of Firefox, so I get the normal icons in Firefox itself, but I've chosen to use the nuoveXT icon theme which has a pretty nice white version of the Firefox icon.
My panels auto hide and I have no application icons on my desktop, so the icons aren't Earth shattering for me.

lapsey
June 25th, 2006, 12:16 AM
i like the stock icons. envelope and globe are so much more descriptive to me than a logo

EPOX123
June 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Yea i agree they are discripted very good , you can understand what they symbolies are but there ugly i think ubuntu can make some nicer icons that all :)

LOL so much ... for icons i know, hahahah. O well just my opinion.

bruce89
June 25th, 2006, 07:14 PM
It would be nice, but Mozilla wouldn't like it. Mabye we should ask. We could use the proper icons if Epiphany was default.

FISHERMAN
June 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM
We could use the proper icons if Epiphany was default.
Taste and preference are a personal thing, but a lot of users(including me) don't like Epiphany.

bruce89
June 25th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Taste and preference are a personal thing, but a lot of users(including me) don't like Epiphany.
I was only joking, but I don't see the issue. Is it the (perceived) lack of extensions (http://blogs.gnome.org/view/epiphany/2006/06/25/0)?

greenstar
June 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I have a definite dislike for the globe & envelope icons.

Give me my Firefox & Thunderbird icons back, please.

I know I can use the restore_mozilla_icons script, or do it manually... but I shouldn't have to.

The default icons are fugly. I know they are more self-explanatory, but they're absolutely hideous.

If a user doesn't know what an icon does, that's not a reason to use an uglier icon, but rather a reminder that the comment in the icon's properties needs to be better. To see what I mean, hover your mouse pointer over the firefox icon & see what pops up in the yellow box. Mine says (I didn't bother to change mine, but I do change the comment text for customers boxes, as a transitional aid):

Firefox Web Browser
Browse the World Wide Web

If the purpose is to make the icon self-explanatory, how about something a bit clearer, such as:

Mozilla Firefox
Browse the Internet

or, maybe someone has an even better idea for the comment text.

Any noob or novice that doesn't know what the firefox icon is supposed to look like, and can't figure out why it's also in Applications->Internet isn't going to know what it is by the default comment text either because they won't know what the "world wide web" is. I don't know anyone who uses the term "World Wide Web" anymore. I haven't heard that terminology since Netscape Navigator was king of the browsers.

greenstar

aysiu
June 26th, 2006, 12:21 AM
It has nothing to do with being self-explanatory. It's a trademark/legal issue for modified binaries.

greenstar
June 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Perhaps they're misinformed.

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/faq.html

Ubuntu's Firefox is not an unchanged binary. It's a specialized version for Ubuntu.

It has nothing to do with being self-explanatory. It's a trademark/legal issue for modified binaries.
I read the whole page, and I didn't see anything that indicated that If you change the binaries, you can't use the icons, but rather only that permission would be necessary for use in that case.

As the images in question are unmodified, I'd think that they are usable according to the license.

This would imply that Ubuntu couldn't manage to get permission to use the images.

If that's the case, damn mozilla is stingy. If that's not the case then I don't get it anyway.

greenstar

aysiu
June 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Read this, then:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-October/011974.html

Wolki
June 26th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I read the whole page, and I didn't see anything that indicated that If you change the binaries, you can't use the icons, but rather only that permission would be necessary for use in that case.

As the images in question are unmodified, I'd think that they are usable according to the license.

This would imply that Ubuntu couldn't manage to get permission to use the images.

If that's the case, damn mozilla is stingy. If that's not the case then I don't get it anyway.

See this part of the Ubuntu page (http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing):

Must not be distributed under a licence specific to Ubuntu. The rights attached to the software must not depend on the program's being part of Ubuntu system. So we will not distribute software for which Ubuntu has a "special" exemption or right, and we will not put our own software into Ubuntu and then refuse you the right to pass it on.

Ubuntu want their software to be redistributed and reused (see for example the new Mepis). Including things that you have to get a special license for makes this harder/impossible.

greenstar
June 26th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification, guys. That actually makes sense... well, I understand it now.

Licensing issues are always a headache. IMHO

greenstar

EPOX123
June 26th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Yea but it still doesn't mean Ubuntu couldn't make better icons :mrgreen:

The new Ubuntu icons are nice but the brower and email icons were left alone, mabe the next version could get some nice icons :)

Why can't they use the firefox logos and put modified by ubuntu. or some thing of that sort.

:) just ideas.

FISHERMAN
June 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I was only joking, but I don't see the issue. Is it the (perceived) lack of extensions (http://blogs.gnome.org/view/epiphany/2006/06/25/0)?
It's the way Epiphany handles tabs.
If they would shrink instead of those 2 little arrows at the top it would be good enough to be the defailt browser(though I would still use Ff).

NeoChaosX
June 26th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Haven't we been through this before? Legal reasons - since the source code of Firefox has to be modified so it can be updated through debs/apt for Ubuntu, so the distro can't ship with the stock Firefox icon. No exceptions.

And very few of the developers ever read the forums anyway. This is just a community forums, it's not affliated with Canonical in any way - if you want to get in touch with the developers on this issue, you're better off posting on the mailing lists or getting in touch with them on IRC.