PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Splash on Boot - Splash on Shutdown

frogotronic
July 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hello,

12.04 LTS with nVIDIA drivers. No splash (plymouth) at boot, just a blank purple screen; but splash at shutdown, tried the 10.04 resolution fix for proprietary drivers - didn't work.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
CH :guitar:

msammels
July 4th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hello.

OK, well to be honest, now that I look at my machine, you're right :P have you tried reinstalling plymouth? I'm not sure if it maybe has something to do with the graphic boot drivers, not sure. But now I definitely notice it.

christiaan_
October 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM
It is all due to a little variable called $vt_handoff in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file that blacklists graphic cards and decides wrongly that a graphical boot screen is not allowed.

Simply edit the grub.cfg file and remove all $vt_handoff references in the code.

See : http://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how-fix-ubuntu-boot-splash-screen-after-grub-updates

paviel
October 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Another simple way is to edit /etc/default/grub and change the line GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX

This solution works only when uvesafb is used.

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
and change the line as follows
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280x1024-32,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap

after look at the line
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024-32

and change
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024-32

save the file
and
sudo update-grub

christiaan_
October 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Dear Paviel

The moment you update GRUB, it adds the $vt-handoff to the default you created. The line in grub.cfg then becomes :

quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280x1024-32,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap $vt_handoff

In my case I have to remove this every time I update grub or the boot splash is missing as explained in my post #3.

paviel
October 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Dear christiaan_

yes, grub.cfg contains $vt_handoff
but since the modifications I proposed before, I have plymouth working and never had to change anything else.