PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How long does an Upgrade generally take through the update manager?

sssseeee
July 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I ask because I don't care about LTS status. I just want the latest and greatest being a student and a developer and all. So when 12.10 rolls around should I wait to upgrade or upgrade on day of release? ('Course I think that day of release is a Thursday.) I could always do .04 upgrades once summer rolls around and .10 upgrades during Christmas Break but... I just want to know how long it usually takes. Thanks in advanced.

cortman
July 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
I ask because I don't care about LTS status. I just want the latest and greatest being a student and a developer and all. So when 12.10 rolls around should I wait to upgrade or upgrade on day of release? ('Course I think that day of release is a Thursday.) I could always do .04 upgrades once summer rolls around and .10 upgrades during Christmas Break but... I just want to know how long it usually takes. Thanks in advanced.

Rather than upgrade, I recommend you do a clean install if you plan to install 12.10.
If you wish to assist with alpha/beta testing of 12.10, the testing community would be glad to have your help. Download an ISO and contact the U+1 group.
To answer your original question, my upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 took a couple hours.

Elfy
July 3rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
I would not do an upgrade on release day.

bcbc
July 3rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
If you do it on release day, use the alternate CD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/#Upgrading_Using_the_Alternate_CD.2BAC8-DVD) upgrade. Whenever you upgrade, backup beforehand.

sssseeee
July 7th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I did do an upgrade from a CD (for 12.04) , but am thinking of doing through update manager to keep my software. (Doesn't upgrading through update manager keep your software and files.) I do auto-backups to ubuntu one. (Though I use the 5GB free space and have the backups deleted weekly...)