PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating from Windows 7 to Ubuntu

viral007in
July 3rd, 2012, 04:52 AM
I am new to Ubuntu Linux 12.10. I would like understand file/directory structure in Linux, as I am used to Windows 7.
I have 3 partitions basically C:, D: & E:

C: is for system files and installed programme.
D: is for my working folders like:
d:\websites\site1
d:\websites\site2
d:\websites\site3
d:\websites\phpmyadmin
d:\mysqldata
d:\accounts\invoices
etc

Please guide me to migrate my system to Ubuntu desktop, as I hook to Ubuntu GUI which is pretty easy to operate.
How do I achieve this type of directory structure in Ubuntu

papibe
July 3rd, 2012, 05:15 AM
Hi viral007in. Welcome to the forums!

You can have different partitions very similar to Windows, but they are all mounted into the hierarchical filesystem.

The system partition would be mounted at root (/). That would be the equivalent of C:

Your personal data partition it is usually mounted on /home.

Another working partition could be mounting on its own directory like /data or /home/youruser/data.

Does that help a little?
Regards.

viral007in
July 4th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Ok I got your point.
point 1 & 2 solve my problem
Point 3 is where I more interested to know more
I have partition which is empty 150GB size
which I want to use as DATA storage like

/datat/www/site1
/data/www/site2
/data/accounts/

But will /data partition restricted to me or it can be accessed like any other folder like we have in windows D:\folders

Hi viral007in. Welcome to the forums!

You can have different partitions very similar to Windows, but they are all mounted into the hierarchical filesystem.

The system partition would be mounted at root (/). That would be the equivalent of C:

Your personal data partition it is usually mounted on /home.

Another working partition could be mounting on its own directory like /data or /home/youruser/data.

Does that help a little?
Regards.

msammels
July 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Partitions are not restricted to a particular user, unless permissions are set. Any user on the system can mount any partition. You can, however, restrict data on the partition to a specific user/group.

robtygart
July 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Yes you can access all of your drives, and partitions, and use them as storage drives.

Please guide me to migrate my system to Ubuntu desktop, as I hook to Ubuntu GUI which is pretty easy to operate.
How do I achieve this type of directory structure in Ubuntu

Also in Linux it will read as sda/sdb/sdc

So drive 1 is sda if you have a partition it will be sda1 and sda2 and so on.