PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install

kkeller87
July 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Hello,

Im trying to install ubuntu on my desktop to dual boot with windows. Ive done this before on this same computer. Ive tried booting from a live cd, installing on my external HDD and installing on my main C:\ drive that windows is on. Every time I try to boot into Ubuntu I get the purple loading screen with the orange dots. Then this

http://www.imgur.com/iZpdB.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas?
Edit

I tried an older live cd from a previous installation. It booted fine. Something must have been wrong with my new cd.

Frogs Hair
July 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hello and Welcome

There are a couple things to investigate . First is check the disk quality.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Provide some information about your system specs in particular the graphics card or chip. I think the screen capture is an extremely distorted login screen , which leads me to suspect a graphics card/chip problem. The 12.04 login screen has a dot grid , but the dots are much smaller and don't run at an angle.

kkeller87
July 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Currently in the middle of installing through means of an older version of ubuntu. For some reason that's working. Would I be able to get to the newest update once I'm up and running? I can get you some info on my pc soon.

kkeller87
July 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
So after trying to use my live CD from 10.10 I went through the install and got to what you say is supposed to be the login screen for ubuntu. This isnt making sense to me because i have had 10.10 installed on this computer before, and havent changed any of the hardware.

Im running an acer aspire desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4400+ 2.30GHz and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405.

I just checked the iso i downloaded for 12.04 was for i386, I dont know why I got that one when I clicked the link here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

But either way, my disc for 10.10 got me through the install, but couldnt display the login screen. But i have had this one working before.

EDIT

looking through the md5 hashes i see there is no 10.10. I must have wrote it wrong with the sharpie.

Thoughts from here?

Frogs Hair
July 1st, 2012, 11:21 PM
There have been problems reported with that graphics chip/card on 12.04. I would suggest searching the forums for threads.

critin
July 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
The link downloads 32 bit by default. You have to change the radio button for 64 bit.

kkeller87
July 1st, 2012, 11:30 PM
There have been problems reported with that graphics chip/card on 12.04. I would suggest searching the forums for threads.

Any thoughts on why 10.04 won't work anymore?

kjmitch
July 2nd, 2012, 03:35 AM
I'm having issues getting the live cd to boot as well. I get to the ubuntu splash screen "Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu etc etc" but am unable to get any further even with noapic, nolapic and nomodeset enabled. I get to a black screen with a white cursor in the top left hand corner and get call stacks repeatedly. Recovery mode would probably allow me to get in, install and download graphics drivers, but I can't access recovery mode. Pressing shift continuously during bootup gets me nothing but sore fingers. Any suggestioins?

I have a quadro 4000/ tesla c2075 and an asus workstation board. If you need any other details let me know.

black veils
July 2nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Recovery mode would probably allow me to get in, install and download graphics drivers, but I can't access recovery mode. Pressing shift continuously during bootup gets me nothing but sore fingers. Any suggestioins?

you have to press and hold the Shift key