PDA

View Full Version : Will a mono source result in a mono .OGG (vorbis) file?

MetalMusicAddict
June 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
I cant find a answer to this. I just bought "The Beatles - Live At The BBC" and everything is mono. Im still a little new to vorbis and am wondering if the input is mono will the output file be as well?

Thanx.

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM
If the input is mono then the recording would be mono on any format.

MetalMusicAddict
June 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
If the input is mono then the recording would be mono on any format.
Not always so. Ive seen mp3 encoders that force stereo and therefore create an unnecessaryly large file.

For instance. I use Grip to make mp3s. I ripped 1 track from the CD. If I encode it using -V 3 --vbr-new, my current settings, I get a 185kbps VBR Joint Stereo mp3 with a filesize of 295KB. If I add the -V 3 -m m --vbr-new switch I get a 90kbps VBR mono mp3 with a filesize of 144KB. So the --vbr-new or the -V 3 switch has a default set in it. So for my mp3 versions I had to add a mono switch.

The defaults in vorbis is what Im wondering about I guess. I cant seem to find a switch reference either.

G Morgan
June 22nd, 2006, 12:13 AM
I see what you mean now. Some encoders create stereo but enevitably produce the same sound out of each (so essentially mono in stereo). To be honest I'm not certain, they may be a configuration option somewhere, I use KAudioCreator which allows you to pass command line switches but I'm not sure if theres a force mono mode.

MetalMusicAddict
June 25th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Anyone know of a command line switch reference for .ogg (Vorbis)?