PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Unity?

June 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
This really isn't a problem. I just have a question: What's so great about Unity, and why is it better than Classic Gnome?

When Ubuntu switched to using Unity as its primary desktop shell, I tried to get used to it, but I found myself missing much of the customizable content of the Classic Gnome user interface. I found it much more difficult to edit the launchers on the Unity panel whereas before it was only a super-alt-click away. I also found that things like the System Monitor were very difficult to put on a panel in Unity. Not to mention, I couldn't find a way to add more panels anywhere I want and essentially create a user interface that is geared specifically to my style of organization. I've also read articles saying that Unity is slower than Classic Gnome (I don't know about this as I have not spent much time in Unity).

Now the first thing I do when I install a new distribution of Ubuntu is download the Classic Gnome Shell, and configure my GUI the way I like it. I love that the classic gnome shell is downloadable, but it seems as if the common notion is that the shell exists for those who don't want to part with the past of Ubuntu. I'd be willing to part with the past, but I currently don't see any reason to do so.

Unity has some cool things. It looks much prettier and the Dash is pretty useful for files and programs that you don't use very often, but that's about all I see. I've heard the hype about Unity being a revolution in the user interface, but obviously I'm missing something. What is it about Unity that makes it so much better than Classic Gnome?

nothingspecial
June 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

And closed.

This has been done a bazillion times before and doesn't need doing again.