PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation disk won't boot

somae
June 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I've been trying to install ubuntu from a cd. I've been able to burn cds and boot from the cd (installed debian that way). I tried holding down the left shift key as the boot started, and also tried pressing it over and over. When the cd tries to boot it goes to a black screen and hangs.

Unfortunately, we've got the Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) graphics device - which is why I want to try ubuntu because I was unable to solve the problem with it in debian.

The computer is a dell dimension xps_r with about 2GHz cpu and 500M ram.

Help appreciated.

southerngeek
June 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
How far exactly are you getting in the boot process? Past the livecd boot options menu, or is it even getting that far?

somae
June 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
It doesn't get to anything but a black screen - (there is no livecd boot options menu).

southerngeek
June 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Have you checked the CD (in another computer, or at least in the program that you used to burn the image with) to make sure it burned correctly?

There are known issues with that chip (as you probably already know..), if the CD checks out ok, you might try downloading one of the older version livecd iso's and see if one of them will work, just to test it out.

sudodus
June 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
You can also try Knoppix, which is known for its good hardware detection. I have used the version 6.4.4 not only for live sessions but also to install an 'almost-debian' system on a computer older and smaller than yours.

In order to avoid running into adriane mode (for people with bad eyes) you should enter knoppix at the boot prompt (plus optional boot 'cheat codes' if necessary).

somae
July 1st, 2012, 02:42 AM
I didn't try the cd in a different computer (but am going to). I always use "verify" when I burn cds.

Will give knoppix a try.

Thanks.

somae
July 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Is there a way to verify that the file downloaded correctly? I used bit torrent and the file size was 217,702 kb.

sudodus
July 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Usually you can find a checksum, for example md5sum at the web site, from where you select the download or torrent.

The output of
md5sum filename.iso should match the md5sum at the web site.

For example, at this link, there are iso files and the corresponding md5sums

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/ (ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/)