PDA

View Full Version : is there a Linux program similar or identical to Brutus?

Patrick-Ruff
June 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM
hey all, I was wondering if there is a program for Linux that does the same functions as the remote password cracker Brutus, if this is a banned subject, feel free to close the thread, as I was not aware, please do not ban me for asking a simple question

thanks.

Qwertyman66
June 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that this is a legit question and that I'm permitted to answer it.
Check out http://sectools.org/ . They will have something listed.

Patrick-Ruff
June 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM
thank you.

Jucato
June 22nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
From the forum Guidelines (see link at the top menu)

5. Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialog, images, content, or links to such will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. These actions could result in a ban.

prizrak
June 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
From the forum Guidelines (see link at the top menu)
sectools.org is a legitimate website, password crackers are also legitime tools of the trade when it comes to security. Best way to secure something is to break in and see where the holes are.

Lord Illidan
June 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
I will also venture a suggestion. Try John the Ripper. Google for it.
Cracking Password programs are good to see if you have a weak password. Just don't use it to crack other people's passwords, unless you are authorised to do so as a matter of checking security.

Patrick-Ruff
June 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
seems like a contraversial subject here lol. it all depends on perspective, such tools can be used for bad, or for good. to allow such hosting/discussion/such public display of any tools whatsoever is the advertisement of the fact that they are meant to be used for your benefits. legally. therefore, thanks for answering my question.

bharadwaj
October 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM
THC Hydra is exactly what you have been looking for string boy! :guitar: