PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 (i386) Compiz crashes | Keybinding problems | unusually high CPU peaks

sasun
June 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit) on two Notebooks: Dell Vostro 1710 (with Intel Graphics) and my HPmini311 (with NVIDIA Ion Graphics).

On the Dell Vostro it works like charm. No problems unsolveable and really smooth.

On my Metbook Hp/Compaq mini311 I am really stuck with a lot of unfixable bugs - or so it seems. Thus I am asking for your help!!

1.) I can't disable keybindings like "Alt-Space" which is out-of-the-box used for "Window-Menu". Also, I can't set any "Super-" key binding - compiz crashes when I do OR it won't change anything.

This is really annoying, as all of the above CAN be done on the Vostro 1710.

2.) The system runs REALLY slow and gets sluggish. I already spent hours researching, which programs may be slowing down the system. But I ended up thinking it is the NVIDIA driver 295.49, not working well under Ubuntu 12.04.

3.) I considered uninstalling unity, if THAT is the cause for the low performance with my netbook. Of course, no Atom processor can be as fast as a Core2Duo, but even Windows 7 runs a lot faster on the mini311 Netbook.

My Hardware specs are:

Microprocessor 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor N270
Microprocessor Cache Level 2 cache 512 KB
Memory 2 GB DDR3 (1 x 2048 MB)
Video Graphics NVIDIA ION LE
Video Memory up to 895 MB total available graphics memory
Display 29.4 cm (11.6") Diagonal HD LED HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366 x 76:cool:
Hard Drive 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g

So, I would be really thankful, if some of you could help me out. Or, if these are Bugs for NVIDIA users, and there is no solution, PLEASE TELL ME. Then it means a dead end for Ubuntu on my netbook.

Thanks.

dino99
June 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM
maybe you can purge all the related compiz installed packages via synaptic, then reinstall them

sasun
June 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM
How would I proceed doing that?

- search in Synaptic for "compiz" and then delete all?

Or would it be better to go with the terminal

- sudo apt-get purge compiz*?

Thanks for your help!

sasun