PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] 12.04 Desktop unresponsive

andizam
June 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Hello,
First off, it takes ages for Ubuntu to boot on my PC, but I'm not sure that has to do with graphics. Anyhow, the login screen loads just fine, albeit slower than I'd like. I type in my password and login. The desktop icons and info bar at the top of the screen loads, but is completely unresponsive to my mouse. Even when I click and drag on the desktop, no orange rectangle is formed. If I boot into Ubuntu 2D, there's no problem.

FGLRX graphics driver is installed, but the separate "post-release updates" driver has proven impossible to install.

Any help please?

carl4926
June 30th, 2012, 04:57 AM
You should post the specifics of your graphics hardware.

That 2D works, certainly implies a graphics issue

andizam
June 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Of course. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R (M5010) laptop using ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

andizam
July 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
I'll bump once in hopes that someone can help me out here

carl4926
July 1st, 2012, 05:04 AM
What I'm wondering is (I have no experience with ATI) how does it work from the Live CD and immediately after install - before you install the additional driver?
I would expect it to work better in your case.

isaacj87
July 1st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Hello,
First off, it takes ages for Ubuntu to boot on my PC, but I'm not sure that has to do with graphics. Anyhow, the login screen loads just fine, albeit slower than I'd like. I type in my password and login. The desktop icons and info bar at the top of the screen loads, but is completely unresponsive to my mouse. Even when I click and drag on the desktop, no orange rectangle is formed. If I boot into Ubuntu 2D, there's no problem.

FGLRX graphics driver is installed, but the separate "post-release updates" driver has proven impossible to install.

Any help please?

I, too, had trouble installing the "post-release updates" version of the ATI driver; this was even on a fresh install of 12.04.

However, I managed to get it installed by using the Terminal. Open up a new terminal window and try this:

1) First, remove the older fglrx driver:

sudo apt-get remove fglrx*

(Note: This should ask to only remove 3 or 4 packages. If not, abort the process)

2) Once you've removed the old one, go ahead and install the "post-release" version:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

I don't know why, but using the Additional drivers GUI didn't work for me. The way I described about did, however. I hope this helps.

andizam
July 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM
Carl4926: Honestly that's a great question, I wonder that too.
isaacj87: Thank you! It manages to install, but with many error messages. I'll put them here in case someone understands what's going on:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
fglrx-amdcccle-updates
The following NEW packages will be installed:
fglrx-amdcccle-updates fglrx-updates
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/45.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 129 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-updates.
(Reading database ... 171393 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-updates (from .../fglrx-updates_2%3a8.960-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-amdcccle-updates.
Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle-updates (from .../fglrx-amdcccle-updates_2%3a8.960-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Setting up fglrx-updates (2:8.960-0ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Loading new fglrx-updates-8.960 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 3.2.0-26-generic-pae
Building for architecture i686
Building initial module for 3.2.0-26-generic-pae
Done.

fglrx_updates:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- No original module exists within this kernel
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic-pae/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Setting up fglrx-amdcccle-updates (2:8.960-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-26-generic-pae
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
I don't know what's wrong...