PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The package system is broken

Evocashious
June 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm completely new to Linux. I have just installed 11.10 If I'm correct. I would have liked to have my 10.10 because my friend said it was good, but it kept crashing for some reason. Anyways, I just got it installed and most things run okay. But when I tried to install updates and what not I get a popup saying

The package system is broken

Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f The following packages have unmet dependencies:

libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-20ubuntu5) but 2.13-20ubuntu5 is installed
Depends: libc-dev-bin (= 2.13-20ubuntu5) but 2.13-20ubuntu5.1 is installed

I tried the Terminal command and got this.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libc-bin libc6 libc6-dev
Suggested packages:
glibc-doc
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc-bin libc6 libc6-dev
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 125 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/9,771 kB of archives.
After this operation, 28.7 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 125595 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6-dev 2.13-20ubuntu5 (using .../libc6-dev_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed to read on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Input/output error
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-dev_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/confname.h'
Preparing to replace libc-bin 2.13-20ubuntu5 (using .../libc-bin_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc-bin ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed to read on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Input/output error
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/bin/tzselect'
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-dev_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.13-20ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

drmrgd
June 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Try running:

sudo apt-get clean

and then try running the install / upgrade again.

Also, out of curiosity, your root partition on the hard drive is not full, is it?

Evocashious
June 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
So far it seems to be working. I restricted the downloads to important ones just in case it tried to mess up again. Also on your question about the root. I don't think so. How should I go about checking.

drmrgd
June 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
So far it seems to be working. I restricted the downloads to important ones just in case it tried to mess up again. Also on your question about the root. I don't think so. How should I go about checking.

From the terminal, you can run:

df -h

That will break down your partitions, their sizes, and how much space is used on them.

It sounds like clearing the apt cache was good enough to fix it though.

Evocashious
June 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I was able to install all but 1 update. The software center is still saying it wont work.. I'll post results to your command in a second sorry for taking so long.

Evocashious
June 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Okay ran the apt-get clean thing again. Was able to get the last major update. I'm going to try installing all the smaller updates and hope I get to use the software center. I'm currently using another computer so I can't copy and paste those results yet. However based on how fast the memory is gone I'd say I've got very little space there. I had to reboot cause it froze. Then it shut off the wifi so I had to remove the softblock on it. Back to installations.