PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing Ubuntu and then XFCE or Xubuntu?

geek2330
June 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Quick question: Is it better installing Ubuntu then XFCE environment, or just install Xubuntu from scratch?

Will one option present any performance load to the system versus the other? Or more un-needed installation files than the other?

SpeedyGonsales
June 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Performance wise I do not see any differences.
Xfce has its own file manager etc stuff and Ubuntu default has GNOME stuff, so if you first install default Ubuntu then on it Xfce-desktop, you'll definitely have more files than in other case.

But difference is not so great in 2012 if you have 500 GB or 1 TB disk.
But if you are building some lean custom machine on single small disk like 20 GB or less than every MB is counting and you should go for Xubuntu.

geek2330
June 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
"Lean", that is the right word i was looking for.
At the end, I don't like Unity but i like XFCE.

Drive space is not a problem (even though i asked the question about extra files not needed) but at the end of the install if i can get XFCE in a more straight method without extra effort and files installed then i'd go that route.

LewisTM
June 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
To remove the fat i.e. extra Unity and GNOME stuff, execute the command found on psychocats.net
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu
This way you will switch to a pure Xubuntu without the need to reinstall from scratch. You can then proceed to add back whatever you might be missing.

Cheers!

Lemuriano
June 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I install Ubuntu minimal cd and then xfce4 with just the apps that I want and nothing more. Fantastic.

Regards.