PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No window manager?

ChrisOfBristol
June 28th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I've just installed 12.04 after trying a couple of other distributions.

I have no window borders, header bar or buttons, note even a menu. I know that I can get some things to work for the duration of the login by typing alt-F2 then:

metacity --replace & or
compiz --replace &

I think there is some problem with some preferences somewhere which mean that no window manager starts.

I have had this problem before on other distributions and was told to delete loads of my directories related to Gnome in the hope of deleting the relevant setting, but it didn't work.

It might be possible to fix it by taking a backup, formatting the disk and then replacing my data but I wouldn't be prepared to take that drastic a step.

I think that what I need to know is how to define which window manager or desktop manager or some combination of the two loads at login or startup.

matt_symes
June 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi

Are you using the Unity-2D session or the standard Unity3D session ?

Kind regards

ChrisOfBristol
June 29th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Are you using the Unity-2D session or the standard Unity3D session ?

If I use Unity I get nothing on the desktop, no launcher strip down the side whatever I do.

If I use Unity-2D I get a top panel, if I press the left-Window$ key I get the Dash.

matt_symes
June 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi

Can you post the output of

cat /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/ubuntu-2d.session

Kind regards

ChrisOfBristol
June 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM
chris@Asus:~$ cat /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/ubuntu-2d.session
[GNOME Session]
Name=Ubuntu 2D
RequiredComponents=gnome-settings-daemon;
RequiredProviders=windowmanager;panel;shell;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=metacity
DefaultProvider-panel=unity-2d-panel
DefaultProvider-shell=unity-2d-shell

DesktopName=Unity
chris@Asus:~$

matt_symes
June 30th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Hi

You having the problem in Gnome Shell and not Unity-2D (although Unity3D is also giving you problems) ?

It's in gnome shell where you are not seeing the window decorations ?

I'm rather confused. Can please highlight in which desktop environment you are having your main problem and the reason for this thread.

Kind regards

ChrisOfBristol
June 30th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I have removed a comment from message 5 because it seems to have caused confusion.

As I said in message three, the problem occurs when I login to Unity or Unity-2D.

For the purpose of trying to fix Unity - so when I typed the "cat" command for example - I login using Unity or Unity-2d, I do NOT use gnome-shell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until it's fixed, so that I can use the computer - to type this message for example - I have installed gnome-shell as well and I login to Gnome-Classic and type "metacity --replace &" whenever I actually want to use the computer.

matt_symes
July 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Hi

Is there anything in the .xsession-errors log file that may highlight why metacity is not starting ?

After logging into Unity2D, open a terminal and type

grep -i "metacity" ~/.xsession-errors

Please do this before starting metacity using the --replace option. Please post the output back here.

If not, there maybe a workaround by adding
metacity --replace as a startup item but this is a work around and not a fix.

Kind regards

ChrisOfBristol
July 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Is there anything in the .xsession-errors log file that may highlight why metacity is not starting ?
There are lots of errors, including ones which mention Unity-2D.

gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: could not read /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: could not read /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: could not read /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/chris/.config/autostart/deja-dup-monitor.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: could not read /home/chris/.config/autostart/deja-dup-monitor.desktop
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] bool KeyMonitor::registerEvents(): Could not open device: Virtual core pointer
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] bool KeyMonitor::registerEvents(): Could not open device: Virtual core keyboard
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] static void WindowImageProvider::activateComposite(): Server supports the Composite extension (ver 0.4)

** (nautilus:5883): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:5883): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-calc.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-impress.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+S"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+T"
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] Object::connect: No such signal Lenses::roleNamesChanged(QHash<int,QByteArray>) in /build/buildd/unity-2d-5.12.0/libunity-2d-private/src/qsortfilterproxymodelqml.cpp:65
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void QSortFilterProxyModelQML::setSourceModelQObject(QO bject*): received a sourceModel that does not notify of changes of its roleNames
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] file:///usr/share/unity-2d/shell/hud/Hud.qml:145: TypeError: Result of expression 'shellManager.hudShell' [null] is not an object.
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Alt+F1"

Removed lots of hotkey statements

unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void ApplicationsList::remoteEntryUpdated(const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, const QMap<QString, QVariant>&): Application sent an update but we don't seem to have it in the launcher: "application://empathy.desktop"
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void ApplicationsList::remoteEntryUpdated(const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, const QMap<QString, QVariant>&): Application sent an update but we don't seem to have it in the launcher: "application://empathy.desktop"
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

ChrisOfBristol
July 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM
If not, there maybe a workaround by adding
metacity --replace as a startup item but this is a work around and not a fix.
This works fine for Gnome-shell but is no good for Unity as although some things come back it doesn't work properly.

matt_symes
July 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hi

Can we check to see if it's your user settings.

Create a new user and login as that user. Do you still have the same problems ?

Could not parse desktop file /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[5807]: WARNING: could not read /home/chris/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktopHave you had xfce installed on this install before ? I take it this is not a fresh install.

What is the story behind this installation ? The problem could be in a whole number of places you see.

This works fine for Gnome-shell but is no good for Unity as although some things come back it doesn't work properly.You keep mentioning gnome shell. Can we make sure we are singing from the same song sheet.

Unity (aka Unity3D) - The standard Ubuntu Desktop that is the default DE on a fresh install.
Unity2D (aka gnome-fallback session) - The other option on a fresh install of Ubuntu when Unity will not run due to hardware.
Gnome shell - This must be installed from the repos. It is the default DE in Fedora and completely different from the two above.

For simpilicty it may be better to back up and reinstall as this is not a fresh installation.

Kind regards

ChrisOfBristol
July 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Create a new user and login as that user.Everything's fine if I login as guest.

Have you had xfce installed on this install before ?
I take it this is not a fresh install.
What is the story behind this installation ?
I have tried XFCE and other distributions on this computer in the past. When I installed Ubuntu 12.04 I had /home in a separate partition which I left untouched. The / and /swap partitions were formatted.

You keep mentioning gnome shell.I understand the differences between the three desktops you mention. I had to install gnome-shell in order to be able to use the computer to post these messages etc. I only mention it in case having it installed might be relevant. When I am attempting to get Unity to work I always logout then login again using the Unity-2D option.

For simpilicty it may be better to back up and reinstall as this is not a fresh installation.As I explained in my first post I would not consider this as an option.

ChrisOfBristol
July 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
I took a chance and deleted the .desktop files mentioned in the first few rows of the .xsession-errors file since they referred to XFCE and deva-dup so I thought that they were probably redundant, and they were muddying the waters.

I then logged in again, the results were the same, but the .xsession-errors file is clearer as unity-2d is mentioned repeatedly:

unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] bool KeyMonitor::registerEvents(): Could not open device: Virtual core pointer
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] bool KeyMonitor::registerEvents(): Could not open device: Virtual core keyboard
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] static void WindowImageProvider::activateComposite(): Server supports the Composite extension (ver 0.4)

** (nautilus:4116): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:4116): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-calc.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-impress.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] libindicator: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+S"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+T"
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] Object::connect: No such signal Lenses::roleNamesChanged(QHash<int,QByteArray>) in /build/buildd/unity-2d-5.12.0/libunity-2d-private/src/qsortfilterproxymodelqml.cpp:65
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void QSortFilterProxyModelQML::setSourceModelQObject(QO bject*): received a sourceModel that does not notify of changes of its roleNames
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] file:///usr/share/unity-2d/shell/hud/Hud.qml:145: TypeError: Result of expression 'shellManager.hudShell' [null] is not an object.
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Alt+F1"

*****I've removed the rest of the key statements*****

unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void ApplicationsList::remoteEntryUpdated(const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, const QMap<QString, QVariant>&): Application sent an update but we don't seem to have it in the launcher: "application://nautilus.desktop"
unity-2d-shell: [WARNING] void ApplicationsList::remoteEntryUpdated(const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, const QMap<QString, QVariant>&): Application sent an update but we don't seem to have it in the launcher: "application://nautilus.desktop"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+A"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+F"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+M"
unity-2d-shell: [DEBUG] virtual void Hotkey::connectNotify(const char*): Grabbing hotkey "Meta+V"

ChrisOfBristol
July 3rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Searching for anything relating to "Could not open device: Virtual core pointer" in the first line in .xsession-errors listed above, I came across a reference to "xstartup" in the page linked to below. Is there anything like xstartup in Uubuntu and if so could there be something missing from that?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201885

ChrisOfBristol
July 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
A bit more experimentation - I've tried starting the different window managers with the different DEs:

Gnome....................just works
Gnome Classic.....requires "metacity --replace &" in Startup Applications

Unity.......................requires "compiz --replace &" in Startup Applications
Unity 2D.................requires "metacity --replace &" in Startup Applications and still only half works