PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Graphical problems?

javajames79
June 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Im using a radeon HD graphics card with ubuntu 12.04 64bit (unity.)

I'm experiencing a variety of issues pointing to pretty poor graphics drivers;
-Minecraft: Goes fullscreen fine, but i can't return from fullscreen and actually continue to play the game??? Leaving the game at this point reports an error in the libraries minecraft uses (lwjgl and jinput.) Leaving minecraft while in fullscreen leaves a very colourful - albiet completely useless - screen which is most of the time fixable only by forcefully reseting the PC or logging out (loosing anything i had up obviously.)

-Xonotic: Reporting a clean consistant 60fps (vsyncing on) yet i get a really horrible actual result from this: a poor display on the screen which comes to a jumpy mess which though might be high FPS appears in a similar manner to that of network lag (despite being on singe player which works through locally hosted servers.)

-Not sure about this one but ubuntu detects my display as "laptop" under the display pane of system preferences.

(Encase this is raised) It isn't my system:
-Everything else works fine (apart from an occasional jumpyness to compiz apps)
-Worked fine 6 months ago (11.10 release) and in between when i was using another OS - for the moment il just leave that ambiguous and call it osX.

Graphics drivers i have tried: Opening the additional drivers pane (proprietry drivers) shows me two drivers for my card, one just FGLRX and one is post release updates. Post release updates throws up an error which i will post hear (from jokey.log apparently.) So im stuck with (i think) an older version. I went onto the AMD website, and found the 64bit linux drivers (amd catalyst) which were updated april 25th (or something close to that.) Installed those, not much difference, apart from occurrences of a colour problem with exiting full screen is less common.

Im really stuck because i came back to linux in memory of a time 6 months ago when it was possibly the fastest thing i'd ever used. Used osX for a few months, now a new update, and now im getting these problems. Can anybody help me?

javajames79
June 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
They released a card update yesterday according to the site... i hope so much that this works >.>

EDIT: Nope, that did very little

EDIT2: Ok so everything DOES work aside minecraft :) - perhaps i need to get a fix for that

Mark Phelps
June 29th, 2012, 06:48 PM
You're running the Linux version, I hope. If that's the case, you should check in the Gaming forum section to see if anyone else has posted on it there.

javajames79
June 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM
You're running the Linux version, I hope. If that's the case, you should check in the Gaming forum section to see if anyone else has posted on it there.

Oh wow, just to clarify: im not THAT stupid XD. And problems are solved now, il look into bugs to do with MC.