PDA

View Full Version : favorite ereaders

click4851
June 27th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Love my BN Nook Classic, only thing missing is more games, and maybe a way to mark books as read. I suppose I could "put them on a shelf" called read. Would like to see a color Eink screen.

mamamia88
June 27th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I love my kindle keyboard version. Would be nice to have something though to read stuff with color pics though

drawkcab
June 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I like my pocketbook 602 with expandable memory and support for multiple formats. Handles .pdf files with ease.

jpmfresno
June 28th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Pretty sure it will be the new Google Nexus 7 introduced today. Nice price at $199 for what you get...specs are very attractive.

cariboo
June 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I use my Hip Street. ereader for reading books, if I want to play a game, I grab my tablet.:-)

IWantFroyo
June 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I have the original Nook Simple Touch. It's wonderful.

I used to own a 3G Kindle 3. The screen stopped working after about a month, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Lightstar
June 28th, 2012, 03:56 AM
no ereader here yet, i'm looking into getting one though.
But I'm debating whether to go with ereader, or just get a full android tablet like the asus transformer. I'd use it mainly for books but it's alays nice to have options, ya know? And have access to a bunch of apps.

I feel like the kindle would be the one for me if I was going for a pure ereader, though I'm not too fond of advertisement and apparently they have some, nook doesn't.

click4851
June 28th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I know a tablet / pad device has that wonderful color screen and apps and ......alot less battery life. I also kinda like the isolation of reading for reading sake, uninterupted by texts, or emails.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Simple answer iPad

Lightstar
June 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Welp..
Google announced the Nexus 7.
I think that's my answer.

mbarland
June 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I started e-reading with the original iPad, then jumped on the 7" tablet bandwagon with a rooted Nook Color, and now have a wi-fi Kindle Touch. I used the Kindle app on the iPad and Nook Color. My thoughts:

-The iPad works great, but it a little tiring to hold for long periods of time. If I could only choose one content consumption device, it would be the iPad hands down.

-The Nook Color works great as an e-reader, but really only got used for that. It didn't compare to the iPad for other uses.

-The Kindle Touch is by far my favorite e-reader. The screen is easier on the eyes, the battery lasts exponentially longer, etc.

oldos2er
June 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I have the original Nook Simple Touch. It's wonderful.

I used to own a 3G Kindle 3. The screen stopped working after about a month, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Have you contacted Amazon about that? They have a liberal return/replacement policy from what I understand.

oldos2er
June 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've only used the Kindle 3, and the only reason I'm using it is it was given to me as a gift. I use it much more than I thought I would; but I also have to say I'm still buying dead-tree books.

One glaring problem I've noticed, not with the Kindle, but with some ebooks, is the amount of typos in them. Nothing takes me out of a story faster than encountering a stupid typo. Some of the errors look like poor quality OCR scans rather than simple typos.

Dlambert
June 29th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Nook simple touch +1

standingwave
June 30th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I recently found a very slightly used Sony PRS-505 on Craigslist.

Communicates (and charges) over USB
No wireless (which I didn't want anyway)
256MB (not a lot but it has card slots)

Set me back $40 plus another $5 for a 2GB SD card. All I wanted is a reader, not a tablet, so I'm good.