PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I install 64bit?

Carterclan
June 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 32bit my system specs are as follows:

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ × 2
Memory 3.0 GiB DDR2 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
GPU Asus ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 650MHz

My question is seeing as I only have 3 gig of ram would I benefit at all by installing 64bit Ubuntu?

Jimmyfj
June 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Whether you should install Ubuntu 12.04 as 64 bit is entirely up to you. Things are speaking both for, and against you doing it.

First off, your hardware specs are okay for running a 64 bit system. Your 3 gig RAM is not what's preventing you from a positive experience on 64 bit OS. Secondly is how old is your hardware? Is it all 64 bit capable?

There are those who like an abundance of RAM, but in the end it boils down to what YOUR needs are.

I've run a 64 bit installation with only 2 gig of RAM and I loved it.
Give 64 bit a try - you wont be disappointed.

IWantFroyo
June 27th, 2012, 09:53 PM
You should try it. +1 to Jimmyfj's post.

Carterclan
June 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have only just added the GPU and am trying to gradually improve my specs as and when I get the money. This time last year I had a single core processor and just 1 gig of ram, so I am slowly getting there.

I just didn't want to go through the hassle of a fresh install if I wasn't going to see any benefit.
The general consensus both here and elsewhere seems to be that I probably will. So I will probably do it this weekend.

One question, will I be able to get back software I have purchased from the software centre?

vidtek
June 28th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 32bit my system specs are as follows:

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ × 2
Memory 3.0 GiB DDR2 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
GPU Asus ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 650MHz

My question is seeing as I only have 3 gig of ram would I benefit at all by installing 64bit Ubuntu?

Carter-

Before you do the switch, check out 64-bit driver support for your hardware. If you are a linux newbie-it can be a real pain to install some hardware. Brother and Canon MFC printers were a real challenge, as were some tv cards.

Most 32 bit drivers are install-able in 64-bit systems, but there are lots of hoops to go through, not for a faint-hearted newbie.
I love my 64-bit system with 16gb ram, but I'm a glutton for punishment and enjoy the hardware challenge.

Tony.

Carterclan
June 28th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Carter-

Before you do the switch, check out 64-bit driver support for your hardware. If you are a linux newbie-it can be a real pain to install some hardware. Brother and Canon MFC printers were a real challenge, as were some tv cards.

Most 32 bit drivers are install-able in 64-bit systems, but there are lots of hoops to go through, not for a faint-hearted newbie.
I love my 64-bit system with 16gb ram, but I'm a glutton for punishment and enjoy the hardware challenge.

Tony.

Thanks, but have been using Linux for a few years now and am a bit like you (a glutton for punishment and enjoy the challenge)

I'll probably spend a couple of hours using it in live CD environment to pick out any obvious problems, but I can't imagine anything stopping me going ahead :)

Starfleet
June 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Carterclan, I've been happily installing 64bit on a variety of computers over the last two years and without any problems. The hardware I've been using hasn't always been the best either on laptops or desktops, some quite old. I haven't yet found any software that doesn't run on the 64bit system. But we are all different in what we want to do and how we do it, the software we use etc. So it's worth being aware of the things vidtek states. Running the live cd is a good idea. It's probably a good indicator of what to expect. Good luck.

nipunshakya
June 28th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Don't deprive your machine of what its capable of....
My machine has a dual core processor, bought three years back... since my first purchase, all my machine runs is just 64 bit OSs. Even though the ram is just 2gb, i have had no problems so far...and it all looks good to me...

Goodluck

VMC
June 28th, 2012, 03:52 PM
People get confused with the ram issue and 64-bit. I think 32-bit and PAE would take care of that.

My issue was Handbrake. I read from a developer of another 32-bit only distro that there is no difference in speed.

After running Handbrake on his system and then again on Ubuntu 64-bit. The results were amazing. Over twice as fast on my 64-bit system.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit distros were on the exact same machine.

I know there may be other libraries that run better on a 32-bit OS, but I'll keep my 64-bit Ubuntu.

Carterclan
June 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to spend the next two evenings making sure I have every thing backed-up (realy should purchase more cloud space) then do my fresh 64bit install at the weekend.

I am looking forward to getting as much out of my computer as it's capable of.

I know to many it is still a low powered machine but compared to what it was not so long ago (and done very much on a budget) to me it goes like Grease lightning :)

nipunshakya
June 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Goodluck with your installation.... don't make a haste... keep patience in whatever you are doing buddy...

See ya on the other side...

Goodluck