PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] User accounts and servers/access to folders

groggyleeky
June 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi

Can anybody point me in the direction of some reading or give me some tips on how to solve these issues?

I have set up a samba server, ushare and dropbox. All run fine when I am logged in to my administrator account. I have also created other user accounts (for my wife and 2 year old son!)

When other users are logged in I can access my files on the samba server. However, the ushare is not available. Is there a way to have ushare always on who ever is signed in or even when the pc starts and no one logs in? I am guessing that this is the same issue as the samba server not begin available until someone logs in!

When I log in as another user I get "Dropbox is running from an unsupported location." and the dropbox does not work.
I would like to have access to the dropbox files form one account and not from the other (2year olds! - delete happy!). I suspect that the error is to do with the fact that my dropbox is located within my home folder. (i had problems with permissions having set up dropbox originally on the data drive). Before I move 50g+ of folders to a shared file just to test, can anyone guide me in the correct direction?

Recap.
ushare in other accounts?
dropbox access and function from other accounts?
samba and ushare running with no one logged in?

Many thanks in advance for your time
Rob

groggyleeky
June 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
bump