PDA

View Full Version : A little tired of...

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I have to say I am a little tired of the complaining about the topics in the "Cafe"... folks... it's the cafe it's supposed to a 'free for all" about anything. There are other sections of this message board that are more appropriate for technical questions.

The word "Ubuntu" isn't easily translated into English - but more or less it is a word that means people, humans, finding fulfillment by interacting with each other. It's a word the defines a relationship between people of different races, creeds, cultures, religions, and so forth.

To many of you, Ubuntu is nothing more than an operating system, or a way to get your work done without having to pay for the various programs you need - and that's all well and good - I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

But, for me and a lot of other people it means a hell of a lot more. It represents a stance against the greed and power hungry mindset that has ruined - or is currently ruining the world. And, yeah I know that wasn't Linus' intentions - but hey - it is what is now. This operating system, while sure, allows us all to run our programs on our hardware - it also allows people who can hardly afford food to participate in a worldwide conversation and to have access to knowledge they wouldn't otherwise have unless they paid a decades worth of wages to greedy pric.... greedy companies that only care about the bottom line. Well, profits well above and beyond covering the overhead, taking care of their shareholders, and paying their developers.

Ubuntu / Linux - is not just an OS - it's a movement against greed, corruption, power hungry monopolies. And, there are a lot of people out there who use this OS, who realize that the "freedom" of Linux isn't just in being able to download "free" programs to get work done - or to change your desktop environment to Cinnamon or Gnome Classic - but the freedom to participate. The freedom to engage. The freedom to live in India and have the ability to post a question about what workout program they should pursue - to the freaking world and not have to pay a greedy company to do so.

And, folks, I am not talking about a company making some profit.... hey... developers have families to feed to. I am taking about the insane greed of.... you know who I am talking about.

And, yet we get posters who complain, posters who make a big deal about an OP because their question wasn't about a network card. Why? Why does it bother you so much? No one is making you read the Cafe forum.

We live in a world where if private companies could patent air and charge you for every breath you take - they would. And, yet you get pissy because one particular forum of a community - a community that should appreciate what it really means to support this OS, dares to talk about something more than "computer related" material. Why don't you just install Slackware and..... I am failing to find the words to make my point. I suppose what I am trying to say that is that this community is more than just "how do I install Virtualbox..."

Anyway, it really bothers me that so many people don't really see what "Linux" really is. Sure, it's an OS, sure it's a way to get work done.... but it has become, truly become, so damn much more - morally.

I'm just asking y'all to give the Cafe a break and let folks be human and ask what they want without complaining about it.

p.s. I really and truly feel sorry for those of you who can't see past yourselves - to believe in or contribute to something bigger than yourselves.... I really feel sorry for you.

robtygart
June 27th, 2012, 05:49 AM
To me Linux is proof that people can work together to make something amazing.

If we used this type of thinking, working together to feed, house and educate the world, it would change, every human no one excluded could have basic needs.

Face-Ache
June 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I agree with those sentiments. I see several members rag on the Cafe quite often, but continue to post here, often asking for advice on stuff - just seems a bit weird to me.

It might get a bit wild and woolly at times, but i really like the diversity of the Cafe. There are still many varied topics that get discussed, even though religion and politics are rightfully banned.

Tolerance of others opinions, ideals and beliefs is the only way we'll survive as a race, IMHO :)

Feel the love!!

forrestcupp
June 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I hate threads like this where people write long posts, spouting off and complaining about how people complain.

:lolflag:
Just joking. I hear what you're saying.

haqking
June 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
one big long hypocritical rant ;-)

frup
June 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
The individuals that comprise a community all have different opinions about what that community actually is.

Fresh air is wonderful.

blackbird34
June 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I have to say I am a little tired of the complaining about the topics in the "Cafe"... folks... it's the cafe it's supposed to a 'free for all" about anything. There are other sections of this message board that are more appropriate for technical questions.

The word "Ubuntu" isn't easily translated into English - but more or less it is a word that means people, humans, finding fulfillment by interacting with each other. It's a word the defines a relationship between people of different races, creeds, cultures, religions, and so forth.

To many of you, Ubuntu is nothing more than an operating system, or a way to get your work done without having to pay for the various programs you need - and that's all well and good - I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

But, for me and a lot of other people it means a hell of a lot more. It represents a stance against the greed and power hungry mindset that has ruined - or is currently ruining the world. And, yeah I know that wasn't Linus' intentions - but hey - it is what is now. This operating system, while sure, allows us all to run our programs on our hardware - it also allows people who can hardly afford food to participate in a worldwide conversation and to have access to knowledge they wouldn't otherwise have unless they paid a decades worth of wages to greedy pric.... greedy companies that only care about the bottom line. Well, profits well above and beyond covering the overhead, taking care of their shareholders, and paying their developers.

Ubuntu / Linux - is not just an OS - it's a movement against greed, corruption, power hungry monopolies. And, there are a lot of people out there who use this OS, who realize that the "freedom" of Linux isn't just in being able to download "free" programs to get work done - or to change your desktop environment to Cinnamon or Gnome Classic - but the freedom to participate. The freedom to engage. The freedom to live in India and have the ability to post a question about what workout program they should pursue - to the freaking world and not have to pay a greedy company to do so.

And, folks, I am not talking about a company making some profit.... hey... developers have families to feed to. I am taking about the insane greed of.... you know who I am talking about.

And, yet we get posters who complain, posters who make a big deal about an OP because their question wasn't about a network card. Why? Why does it bother you so much? No one is making you read the Cafe forum.

We live in a world where if private companies could patent air and charge you for every breath you take - they would. And, yet you get pissy because one particular forum of a community - a community that should appreciate what it really means to support this OS, dares to talk about something more than "computer related" material. Why don't you just install Slackware and..... I am failing to find the words to make my point. I suppose what I am trying to say that is that this community is more than just "how do I install Virtualbox..."

Anyway, it really bothers me that so many people don't really see what "Linux" really is. Sure, it's an OS, sure it's a way to get work done.... but it has become, truly become, so damn much more - morally.

I'm just asking y'all to give the Cafe a break and let folks be human and ask what they want without complaining about it.

p.s. I really and truly feel sorry for those of you who can't see past yourselves - to believe in or contribute to something bigger than yourselves.... I really feel sorry for you.

I agree, that's a very good formulation of what quite a few people think. Some people just lack perspective, i suppose. Tough for them.:twisted:

KiwiNZ
June 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM

The word "Ubuntu" isn't easily translated into English - but more or less it is a word that means people, humans, finding fulfillment by interacting with each other. It's a word the defines a relationship between people of different races, creeds, cultures, ................

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

Max Blyss
June 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I think the cafe being a fee-for all is great. There's got to be somewhere for the Ubuntu-Obsessed to talk about something other than PC's, OS's and other abbreviations.

IRL, it's hard enough to meet other folks who are into Linux, and when you do, that's all they want to talk about, lol... We NEED the cafe to be the catch - bin for everything else.

Linuxratty
June 27th, 2012, 11:57 PM
We NEED the cafe to be the catch - bin for everything else.

I agree. I tend to be too lazy to do much ranting,but some of the rants in here are just gems!

QIII
June 28th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I come in for a cup of coffee and what do I find? Some bleeding heart on a soap box getting all kumbaya and ubuntu on everyone...

;)

Lemuriano
June 28th, 2012, 12:25 AM
The philosophy that you refer to, I believed it is more exemplify on others OS that value freedom not by the name they choose but by their philosophy that is presented thru and OS that is free of any proprietary software and even use the Linux-libre kernel. OS like Trisquel base in Ubuntu / Parabola base in Arch for example, truly value and respect our freedom in my opinion.

Regards

Bandit
June 28th, 2012, 12:35 AM
.. Edit.. Will repost later..

click4851
June 28th, 2012, 02:53 AM
hmmm...it isn't free, many topics are off limits, nothing special about this place. Just a collection point that makes moderating easier.

ExSuSEusr
June 28th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Whatever....

Call me a hypocrite if you want, call this a rant.

I have seen death and destruction and the worst depravity ever committed by humans. I need something to matter to me. So, I grab onto an operating system that I happen to really believe is something more....

Whatever... think what you want. I guess I really was wrong.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2012, 04:45 AM
The Cafe is what it is, it's content is what the membership make it within the Code of Conduct.

AllRadioisDead
June 28th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Can we please just make a general bitching and complaining forum? That way, all these people who have their heart set out to bankrupt the evil Microsoft Corporation and Apple Inc. will have a place to bitch.

I mean, come on. I don't see people on OSX and Windows forums bitching about Linux all the time.

It's really annoying and it makes the whole Linux community look bad. Why not focus all this negative energy on making Ubuntu the best it can be instead of bitching about how ****** Microsoft and Apple are.

Please excuse my language, but this is getting really annoying. I come here to share my interest of the Ubuntu Operating System, not to **** talk Microsoft.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Can we please just make a general bitching and complaining forum? That way, all these people who have their heart set out to bankrupt the evil Microsoft Corporation and Apple Inc. will have a place to bitch.

I mean, come on. I don't see people on OSX and Windows forums bitching about Linux all the time.

It's really annoying and it makes the whole Linux community look bad. Why not focus all this negative energy on making Ubuntu the best it can be instead of bitching about how ****** Microsoft and Apple are.

Please excuse my language, but this is getting really annoying. I come here to share my interest of the Ubuntu Operating System, not to **** talk Microsoft.

As much as I agree with you it would be a nightmare to administer. I would rather people realise that we are just about a computer operating system and not some moralistic humanity saving crusade.

ExSuSEusr
June 28th, 2012, 05:28 AM
ubuntu |oǒ'boǒntoō| Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning 'humanity to others'. It also means 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu operating system brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the world of computers.

The vision for Ubuntu is part social and part economic: free software, available free of charge to everybody on the same terms, and funded through a portfolio of services provided by Canonical.

In 2004 Shuttleworth founded the Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) project, a free, open source, Linux-based operating system that’s growing in popularity among businesses and individuals. “Ubuntu” (http://beyond438.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/mark-shuttleworth-ubuntu-founder-and-first-african-in-space/%28http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29%29) is an African concept and was once described by Archbishop Desmond Tutu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Tutu) as defining an open person who is available and affirming to others, and who knows that they are part of a greater whole.

Yeah! Coming from a couple of people who spend more time in the forums than anyone else... how dare someone actually take this project to the next level.

Kiw I've always loved your posted and liked you.... but wow... thanks man.

AllRaido - it's Linux - meaning you have choice - the choice not to read something you don't like.

You're damn right Canonical is better than MS and Apple - if I have to explain the "why" to you -then I really can't help you.

Yes, Canonical is out to make money, I have never disputed that. They should. But there is a difference between the parties involved here - and if you don't know why they are different....

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2012, 05:37 AM
[/B]

Yeah! Coming from a couple of people who spend more time in the forums than anyone else... how dare someone actually take this project to the next level.

Kiw I've always loved your posted and liked you.... but wow... thanks man.

AllRaido - it's Linux - meaning you have choice - the choice not to read something you don't like.

You're damn right Canonical is better than MS and Apple - if I have to explain the "why" to you -then I really can't help you.

Yes, Canonical is out to make money, I have never disputed that. They should. But there is a difference between the parties involved here - and if you don't know why they are different....

I think you may have misunderstood me, I probably was not clear and I apologise for that.

What I mean is, this Forum in general is about an Operating system that's all, not trying to save the planet ( and yes it needs saving). People are free to like what they like, dislike what they dislike, they are no more wrong and no less right than the next person posting. Thus the beauty of choice, one can chose for themselves and what they select is right for them, be it ubuntu, Redhat, Apple or Microsoft.

I freely admit that I am OS agnostic, I use Windows, OSX, Linux, Android and IOS. Whatever fits best for the job I want done.

AllRadioisDead
June 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I freely admit that I am OS agnostic, I use Windows, OSX, Linux, Android and IOS. Whatever fits best for the job I want done.

*Grabs pitchfork*

Burn the witch!

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2012, 05:46 AM
*Grabs pitchfork*

Burn the witch!

pitchforks are nothing compared to the power of the Dark side

forrestcupp
June 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Am I immoral because I like the color green more than blue? Haiti has much more blue in their flag than green, and they had an earthquake.

vasa1
June 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
... People are free to like what they like, dislike what they dislike, they are no more wrong and no less right than the next person posting. Thus the beauty of choice, one can chose for themselves and what they select is right for them, be it ubuntu, Redhat, Apple or Microsoft.
I disagree to some extent. There's quite a bit of marketing going on and marketing can be misleading. For example, there's the oft-made claim that a particular OS or a particular office suite is essential when what the maker of the claim may actually mean that he or she is in a situation that makes a particular OS or office suite appear essential for him or her.
The more unpalatable possibility is that the maker of such a claim has a vested interest in proclaiming something to be "essential".

QIII
June 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
People are quite free to be led down paths both foolish and glorious if they are willing to follow without thinking for themselves. That is a freedom. They are free to be swayed by advertising without doing any research for themselves.

Right or wrong, for better or worse, companies are free to take advantage of that.

Immoral, amoral and moral people and parties can, and often do, use this to their own ends for good or ill.

If I may paraphrase KiwiNZ: many things in this world need to be saved or fixed. Fixes begin in small places, such as our own hearts and minds. They radiate slowly around us and, if we give them enough steam, they can ripple out, connect to the small changes in others and eventually become vast and inexorable.

I'm a dreamer, like John Lennon, despite the fact that the profession I practiced for many years is destructive and ugly. I wish the world were such that that profession were not necessary.

While I personally think that there are much greater and more pressing things to be attended to in this world, exSuSEuser is entitled to his passion.

And as much as I despise Microsoft's business practices, I use Windows when it is the tool I need. I am pragmatic.

Max Blyss
June 28th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I don't mind the OS ******* - contest when it takes the form of good - natured ribbing, like with different departments in a company you work for... That stuff is fun, and some of the jokes that come out of it are hilarious...

The point at which it bothers me is when people start saying Operating System 'A' sucks because it's not Operating System 'B'... Soooo much of whether or not an OS is 'good' is subjective... Just because I found that I prefer Ubuntu / Linux, doesn't mean that Windows or OSX are bad products...

Like most, I used Win for years... I never caught a virus, malware, or had problems of any sort because I looked up the relevant info on maintenance and protection, just as I did when I did my first Ub-Install. Windows XP and 7 both provided me with a whole heap of PC fun and games, I just found a girl I thought had better curves, lol.

I guess I'm of the opinion that we are all, regardless of OS preference, a bunch of computer enthusiasts, and I don't understand why that can't be more of a uniting factor since it's at the core of the whole thing.