PDA

View Full Version : Help me not be bored anymore!

Getwild2
June 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
I started with Ubuntu Breezy a couple of months ago and I've already upgraded to Dapper. I absolutely love the OS, in fact, with the exception of COD2 multiplayer, I am ******* free.

When I started I was on my system a minimum of 10 hours a day but lately that has dwindled down tremendously. I just feel like I'm a little burned out. I don't know a whole lot about Linux and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I guess the newness of Ubuntu has worn off and now I'm left with the nuts and bolts.

I've already setup remote administration, both through putty (shell) and FreeNX (GUI). I've tweaked the visual aspect as much as I could. I added and tweaked gkrellm system monitor to include hardware devices. All of my hardware works. The only thing I have yet to master is getting a FTP server setup as I have a blockage somewhere that I have yet to find (currently investigating).

I guess what I need from you is some suggestions on what else to learn, maybe some things I have overlooked?! Where should I go from here? I have a basic foreground knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu and now I need to fill in the gaps. Give me some ideas if you will in helping me not be bored anymore. Give me some projects. I feel like my command-line side still needs a lot of work. Any suggestions/links for this and above would be appreciated!

Thanks guys, you are awesome!

Lord Illidan
June 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well.

Either get involved in some programming.

Or else, try getting to use Gentoo Linux. Basically, you get to fiddle more with your system's internals.

If you have more time to waste, try Linux from Scratch. Not very easy though.

Or Slackware.

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM
Take your time to try out different products and write reviews on them, or documentation on how to use them for users and newbies!

I actually ran into a similar situation (like clicking upgrade in Synaptic multiple times) so now I'm beginning to re-focus on programming for myself, using Mono since I'm getting into using .NET at work.

Although this is temporarily on hold while do another changing around of the computers and getting them networked together, but that's a whole 'nother story.

If you are more artistically inclined then work on wallpapers and icons!

If worse comes to worse, you can always troll around various message boards jsut to cause trouble! :-\"

frodon
June 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
You could help us providing a good documentation ressource with the UDSF project for example :
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page
If you're interested send me a PM.

Christmas
June 21st, 2006, 04:24 PM
If you have spare time why don't you learn C programming and scripting, like Perl. I do all the time. Take a look on irc on Freenode too, make some XChat plugins... Oh and read the forums ;)