PDA

View Full Version : Your physical activity

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I am a university student in CS. My schedule is wake up, go to school, surf the web, code, eat, sleep. I've tried to start sports/gym but the routine is just too hectic and when deadlines come, it simply becomes impossible to continue the thing. I was wondering what other programmers/IT professionals do for a healthy routine. Or they don't do anything? :P

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I do P90X in the morning, then in the afternoon I will either put on my ruck and walk 3 miles, or run 5 to 7, or do Insanity, or use my heavy bag for 30 minutes.

Total time of working out runs from an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Sept for P90X yoga days then it's 2 and a half hours. Not really a lot when you think about how much time you have during the day.

P90X is for real.

Insanity will kill you. I'm in excellent shape thanks to the military and my own personal push... and I can't finish a complete Insanity workout with stopping halfway through for a break.

I like to break things up which is why I do heavy bag, treadmill, rucking, and Insanity as my second workout for the day.

I would suggest getting P90X and using that - you can probably get it for cheap now that it has been out for a while.

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I'm beat up, held together with steel, frequently on a cane and can't turn my head because of the military. At one point I was a PT monster. Ranger School, Sapper School, Airborne School, Air Assault School. I scoffed at the smoke.

Sometimes a <expletive deleted> day in the military turns into a <expletive deleted> day in the Army.

Sigh.

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I'm beat up, held together with steel, frequently on a cane and can't turn my head because of the military. At one point I was a PT monster.

Sometimes a <expletive deleted> day in the military turns into a <expletive deleted> day in the Army.

Sigh.

I get up, try to walk half a mile, get up several times a day to go out and walk around the block.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I can't Ranger or Jump or Air Assault. Freaking budget disallows non-essential MOS's from getting specialty schools. I was combat arms for many years and still couldn't get them. Sucked. Still sucks. Yet some 19 year old right of high school going into 92G get's SF in his contract. Ridiculous.

And, yes before you ask - they can actually get SFAS in their contracts now... when 'back in the day' it used to be you had to be an E4 promotable, etc...

Yet, with my PT score of 285 / 290 and 40 out of 40 I can't spend two weeks at Campbell for some wings.

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Different times.

Anyway...

Point for the OP is to do whatever it takes to make sure you do what you can to stretch yourself physically, because being completely sedentary will kill you.

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 02:11 AM
By the way, even with all the tabs, badges and an Airborne tab on my combat patch, it still costs me three dollars and a half for a bad cup of coffee at Starbucks. It all looks a little less important from the other end.

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I get all the ultra fit military personnel to comment on this thread O.o you guys are way too fit for me. I am a 20 year old geek who just sits and does nothing :D

Paqman
June 27th, 2012, 02:38 AM
If you're struggling to make extra time to get some exercise then try to build some exercise into stuff you have to do anyway. Ride a bike to/from school instead of driving if you can, or mow the lawn with a push mower instead of a petrol one. Get off the bus/train a stop or two short, etc.

I wouldn't stress about it too much at 20, but if you're still sitting on your butt in 15 years time it'll start to bite.

odiseo77
June 27th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I ride my bike or walk for one hour at least once a week. My doctor advised me to do it 3 times a week (I'm prone to have high cholesterol levels), but sometimes I can't, due to work and other activities.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I get all the ultra fit military personnel to comment on this thread O.o you guys are way too fit for me. I am a 20 year old geek who just sits and does nothing :D

Ok listen...

Go to Amazon.com or do some looking around. Get P90X - it's a 12 DVD home workout program that takes about an hour a day. You can workout right in your dorm room / bedroom / whatever.

Go to Walmart / Target / Amazon.com / whatever and buy a set of resistance bands - maybe 20 bucks at most.

Get a pull up bar that designed for the home - those are like 20 bucks too.

Get those and you are set.

Here are some links for you to review. Yes, I am a P90X pusher - I really believe in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSWW2uWFOo

http://www.amazon.com/SPRI-ES502R-Resistance-Attachment-Exercise/dp/B0000AJ057/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1340761610&sr=1-2&keywords=resistance+bands

http://www.amazon.com/P90X-Hortons-Extreme-Fitness-Workout/dp/B000TG8D6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340761368&sr=8-1&keywords=p90x+fitness

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upper-Body-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1340761646&sr=1-1&keywords=pullup+bar

That took me all of 10 minutes to find. IF you do some looking around you can probably find the DVD's and the equipment for much less. And, yes that first video is real - no it's not "me" - but I have personally seen those results from the program on other people.

Lightstar
June 27th, 2012, 02:53 AM
You could try out Tai Chi. It helps the body, great stretches, very healthy. It's actually a good defense system once you get to learn it well. (very hard to hit a tai chi master).
Some call it moving meditation, good for the mind, relaxes.

I've done p90x for a good number of months, very time consuming, after work and p90x and dinner, i didn't have much time to live.

I'll continue with martial arts, two evenings a week, works for me.
Done it for ~15 years. Ironically I'm typing this today, haven't done anything for the past month, just been lazy :P
(My father had surgery, I wasn't in the mood for it)

Anyway, doing something just to be fit is not the right way of doing it.
You need to find an activity that you enjoy, not only will you be able to give more of yourself to it, but the time spent on it will go quicker and you wont get bored of it as easily.

The team that created p90x (awesome fitness course by the way!) also made the 10-minutes trainer videos I think. Good for those who do not have 2 hours to spend everyday, 6 days a week, as p90x does.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:01 AM
That is not true - at all. Please don't try to convince him of something is out right wrong.

P90X does not take two hours a day.

The LONGEST workout in the video series is the yoga and that is about an hour and 45 minutes give or take a couple.

The average video is about an hour some are shorter, but only the Yoga is longer.

You don't have to follow the diet program that they prescribe. I didn't. I came up with my own diet program based on simply making healthy choices and portion control.

Please do not listen to the bad advice and blatantly wrong information about P90X that you have already or might receive.

Again, I have used P90X and Insanity for well over a year - and it is simply not true that it takes "two hours a day."

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 03:02 AM
If you're struggling to make extra time to get some exercise then try to build some exercise into stuff you have to do anyway. Ride a bike to/from school instead of driving if you can, or mow the lawn with a push mower instead of a petrol one. Get off the bus/train a stop or two short, etc.

I wouldn't stress about it too much at 20, but if you're still sitting on your butt in 15 years time it'll start to bite.

I do that kind of exercise but I think its not enough. I see footballers and bough gym-goers at school :P

Mr. Picklesworth
June 27th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Play with running. I started running a couple years ago and it was really easy for me to build a routine because the gap between thinking about it and doing it is about a minute. (Check if the weather is nice, change into some lighter clothes and go!). And that's the most important thing: building a routine. Find some physical activity that you feel comfortable with, and try to make doing it a habit. Don't worry about how good you are, how far you go, or whatever: just that you do it a few times a week. Eventually you'll find yourself wanting to do it. Exercise is a natural stress reliever, and once you get used to it it's a little addictive ;)

Chances are you'll find time magically appearing, too. Our bodies are funny that way.

Oh, I guess one other thing that helps me: see if there are some nice trails near you and think about going to specific places. I think getting somewhere tangible — instead of hopping in a hamster wheel — can be quite motivating.

Eiji Takanaka
June 27th, 2012, 03:06 AM
what is this an online advert for p90 pah.....just use what you have around you dude.....speaking personally i usually try to keep to an absolute bare minimum level of fitness, that i try not to drop below....

25-30 push-ups in a row minimum a few times a week..(although on form this can easily bump up significantly, if your out of shape crank it up slowly)...

50 odd sit-ups in a minute....couple times a week. Again crank slowly if your out of shape.

20 mile bike ride once or twice a week. Use a mountain bike for added resistance, or if you can't afford a road-bike like me, lol. Helps to get a speedo, that way you can tell how far you've gone, how fast your going e.t.c

Don't smoke, don't drink too much, don't eat too much crap.

But theres absolutely no reason to not be good with computers and in super good shape as well. Its ridiculous, and frankly crass stereotypes that suggest otherwise.

Multi-task if your a bad-***. Get an exercise bike or something, and fit a table or some **** to it, then sit your netbook/laptop on that. If your a super bad-*** wire it up so that you power it by using the exercise bike.

This may be a little much though i guess =P.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:14 AM
The man asked for advice and *I* gave him on some on a topic - that so happens to be - a passion of mine - if you have a problem with that... tough.

Doing a few push up a few times a week and a few situps here and there isn't going to cut it.

You have to work ALL the different muscle groups of the body to get the best results. And, you have to keep the body "guessing." The human body is a very efficient machine that can and will get accustomed to whatever activity a person does on a regular basis. This is why, when people who are overweight start running the drop a ton of weight in the first few weeks, then level out and "peek" - because their body has gotten used to the workout and is now burning less calories than before - when they first started.

P90X works ALL the muscle groups and keeps the body guessing.

The OP isn't stupid - he knows he can do a few push ups here and there and a few sit ups here and there - or buy a bike and ride to class - he's not an idiot. He asked his question because he is looking for something that isn't obvious.

For the price of a bike he can get everything he needs with the program I have suggested.

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Elevated heart rate 30 minutes a day with cardio and add some strength training.

You don't need to be an ultra-fit military guy like I'm not anymore! :)

You just have to make sure that you work your body and stress it some.

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM
The man asked for advice and *I* gave him on some on a topic - that so happens to be - a passion of mine - if you have a problem with that... tough.

Doing a few push up a few times a week and a few situps here and there isn't going to cut it.

You have to work ALL the different muscle groups of the body to get the best results. And, you have to keep the body "guessing." The human body is a very efficient machine that can and will get accustomed to whatever activity a person does on a regular basis. This is why, when people who are overweight start running the drop a ton of weight in the first few weeks, then level out and "peek" - because their body has gotten used to the workout and is now burning less calories than before - when they first started.

P90X works ALL the muscle groups and keeps the body guessing.

The OP isn't stupid - he knows he can do a few push ups here and there and a few sit ups here and there - or buy a bike and ride to class - he's not an idiot. He asked his question because he is looking for something that isn't obvious.

For the price of a bike he can get everything he needs with the program I have suggested.

P90X sounds interesting. I will find out more about it. BTW can I PM you regarding this?

Lightstar
June 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM
That is not true - at all. Please don't try to convince him of something is out right wrong.

P90X does not take two hours a day.

The LONGEST workout in the video series is the yoga and that is about an hour and 45 minutes give or take a couple.

Eh, I don't know if you've been doing the lean version?
Arms and back is a hour 20 mins, on that same day if you follow the clasic schedule, you have ab ripper. On top of that, noone will go in, do p90x and come out right after. Doesn't it takes a few minutes to get ready, and some more minutes to takes a shower unless you enjoy stinking or do your workout in a very lazy way? Do you really want to debate?

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:22 AM
P90X sounds interesting. I will find out more about it. BTW can I PM you regarding this?

Yes you can and I will help you all that I can.

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Yes you can and I will help you all that I can.

Thank you :) (Coming back at you within 24 hours :P )

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Eh, I don't know if you've been doing the lean version?
Arms and back is a hour 20 mins, on that same day if you follow the clasic schedule, you have ab ripper. On top of that, noone will go in, do p90x and come out right after. Doesn't it takes a few minutes to get ready, and some more minutes to takes a shower unless you enjoy stinking or do your workout in a very lazy way? Do you really want to debate?

Are you baiting me?

http://www.decidetostayfit.com/blog/how-long-are-the-p90x-workouts

There aren't different disks. There ARE different workout programs. But, those are about the SEQUENCE of the disks used, not different disks. There isn't more than one P90X series of disks.... there is P90X 2, but that's an entirely different program.

http://www.p90xworkoutschedule.org/

Are you talking about P90X 2?

drawkcab
June 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
What's your fitness goal?

Are you trying to look sexy? Drop weight? Extend your lifespan? Recover from some injury? Build strength or endurance?

You kind of have to know what the goal is before you debate the means.

corrytonapple
June 27th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I'm suprized this thread wasn't locked yet.

Anyway, I enjoy soccer. You are doing the running, but you actually have to think about it. You aren't just going out there to run, but you have to learn ball control. You then can do some pretty neat stuff with the ball too. I use a weight set at the gym, build up some muscle.
I'm no fitness expert, but doing a bunch of curls/sit-ups and then pushups on a regular basis, slowly increasing the number as time permits, then you will see results (better mood especially).

The only thing that daunts me all the time is freaking wrist posture on the keyboard. I need to grab a wrist rest thing before this laptop kills me.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I'm suprized this thread wasn't locked yet.

Anyway, I enjoy soccer. You are doing the running, but you actually have to think about it. You aren't just going out there to run, but you have to learn ball control. You then can do some pretty neat stuff with the ball too. I use a weight set at the gym, build up some muscle.
I'm no fitness expert, but doing a bunch of curls/sit-ups and then pushups on a regular basis, slowly increasing the number as time permits, then you will see results (better mood especially).

The only thing that daunts me all the time is freaking wrist posture on the keyboard. I need to grab a wrist rest thing before this laptop kills me.

Why would it be locked? The community is more than "what do you use to play media files with." It's a real community - and this is the forum for any topic. We Linux "nerds" need a place to let our hair down and talk about anything that comes to mind - even if it's not computer related. If we don't allow that, then we are undermining the very premise of what a "community" is.

If we can't take some time to help one of our Linux / Ubuntu brothers with something other than how to configure his sound card - then as a "community" we fail. And Linux / Ubuntu isn't about failure.

Face-Ache
June 27th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I do P90X in the morning, then in the afte.....

Oh man, i am seriously in awe.

I have P90X, and i admit, it was bought at 2am one morning after seeing the infomercial for it; "I wanna be ripped like that dude!!" i said to myself. ;)

Then, after not being able to get through the first exercise, let alone the first hour, with all my motivation completely gone. I packed it away in the top of a closet. :(

I'm turning into quite a fatty, so any advice you could give on how someone who is totally unfit can get into this P90X without it killing them, would be greatly appreciated.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Oh man, i am seriously in awe.

I have P90X, and i admit, it was bought at 2am one morning after seeing the infomercial for it; "I wanna be ripped like that dude!!" i said to myself. ;)

Then, after not being able to get through the first exercise, let alone the first hour, with all my motivation completely gone. I packed it away in the top of a closet. :(

I'm turning into quite a fatty, so any advice you could give on how someone who is totally unfit can get into this P90X without it killing them, would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot me a PM brother - I'll do my best :p

Face-Ache
June 27th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Oh i already have! :D I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, and it sounded like you didn't mind getting a PM about it. Also; thanks :)

HermanAB
June 27th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I swim about 3 kilometers per week to remain reasonably fit. It helps living in an excessively hot country though.

The easiest thing any fatty can do to get in shape, is to join a gym and do strength training. It is a positive exercise regime, where you build up muscle and replace fat with something much better and the more muscle you have on your body, the easier you burn fat. Doing weight training is addictive and the results show quickly - though it will take about 3 years for serious results.

Doing cardio exercises is a negative exercise regime, where you only try to reduce fat, without building muscle, which is simply dispiriting. I simply hate running...

Swimming is a form of resistance training that is also a muscle building exercise, with results similar to weight lifting and is good in a hot climate. (It is not so great going swimming in northen climes and then walking outside with wet hair having your head freeze up on the way to your car.)

Pick up some weights - build muscle!

chamber
June 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Monday - Body Pump
Wedensday - Gym for an hour and a half
Thursday - Yoga, Thai Chi and Pilates
Friday - Body Pump

I have a 5 month old daughter so that's as much as I can get in.

Dragonbite
June 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
My most consistent exercise if Fencing (Epee is my choice, but I'll use anything).

Usually for lunch I get up and walk around the building for some "fresh" air.

At home, if the weather, timing and activities line up, I walk or ride the bike while my wife goes horseback riding. Otherwise we just "walk the (BIG) dog" :)

If I'm ambitious (or my cholesterol test comes back really bad) I try to take a quick (30 min) jog before getting ready for work, but it just doesn't work out most of the time... the bed is just too comfortable. :lolflag:

Find something, anything, to do even if it is just to walk around the block (the bigger the better), and do it consistently. Modifying a routine is easier than starting one so if you know between the hours of X and Y is "exercise time" then the question becomes "what exercise to pick?"

At one point my exercise came in the form of my wife riding the horse through the woods, and I'm running to try and keep up! She'd have to wait up for me every so often, but it was a fun challenge and a simple motivation (keep up with her).

Simian Man
June 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I find that I have much more motivation to work out when I'm playing a sport. I will get bored and tired running for 20 minutes, but will happily play ultimate frisbee for 3 hours running almost the whole time. If you can find some friends to play a sport with, it may help - even tennis or racquetball only needs one other person.

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Put some punk on your mp3 player, it makes you do more in less time.

Dragonbite
June 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Put some punk on your mp3 player, it makes you do more in less time.

When I was doing my morning jog, I actually put Swing into my iPod (shuffle). The beat of Swing was close enough to match my steps in my jog that it helped keep me going.

blennox
June 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm also a university student and work part time, but I make sure to have a weight-training session 6 days a week (Sunday off) even if it's just for half an hour. Buying a good set of dumbells/barbells and bench with cast iron plates helped as now I don't need to drive to the gym which saves time and the money saved on a gym membership more than makes up for buying extra weights. I also go jogging on my lunch break the days I have uni. I find listening to educational audiobooks/podcasts while working out lessens the feeling that I should be studying instead :)

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'm also a university student and work part time, but I make sure to have a weight-training session 6 days a week (Sunday off) even if it's just for half an hour. Buying a good set of dumbells/barbells and bench with cast iron plates helped as now I don't need to drive to the gym which saves time and the money saved on a gym membership more than makes up for buying extra weights. I also go jogging on my lunch break the days I have uni. I find listening to educational audiobooks/podcasts while working out lessens the feeling that I should be studying instead :)

Hahaha thats a good thought. I frequently find myself under the same pressure 'I should be working on the project' :D

wirate
June 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
What's your fitness goal?

Are you trying to look sexy? Drop weight? Extend your lifespan? Recover from some injury? Build strength or endurance?

You kind of have to know what the goal is before you debate the means.

The goals are look sexy and build strength and endurance.

I am underweight BTW :P

drawkcab
June 28th, 2012, 12:45 AM
The goals are look sexy and build strength and endurance.

I am underweight BTW :P

I would lift weights every other day, specifically a modified powerlifting workout like Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards.

On the other days I would run or cycle for a steady cardio workout.

Of course you are underweight, you have to make sure you get more calories and lots of protein to retain the muscle mass you desire.

IWantFroyo
June 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I get up at 6:00 in the morning and go run for a while.

It's hard at first, but then it gets easier.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 28th, 2012, 01:37 AM
At my age, there is a problem may old people have with muscle loss or loss of muscle strength. It is also very difficult for old people to correct the problem.

I have some weights that I use daily to preserve my upper body muscles. For my leg muscles, I do something similar to squatting; however, I don't squat lower than the level of my office-chair set.

Exercise while you are young. It will benefit you when you get old.

You don't want to become one of the gray-haired old people shuffling their feet as they walk very slowly through a store.

mips
June 28th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I surf and that's my exercise. Best sport in the world!

I use to do tae bo but the instructer stopped offering classes years ago. That was also fun and gave you a really good workout. When I started I felt like puking for the first month, she was a real slave driver :biggrin:

DJonsson2008
June 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Over the last 18 month period, I neglected common sense regarding a bare minimim of excercise.

I paid dearly for it 2 months ago with severe back pain that had me laid out for 3-4 days, and weeks of severe discomfort, loss of work time and so on. I'm still being treated for this.

Now I walk a minimum of 45 minutes each day. Per doctors instructions and my latest round of phyiscal therapy, I'm now on a prescribed daily 20 minute stretching routine -- to avoid pain I do it.

I know this is just the basics, and ideally some aerobic excercise like riding a bike, swimming and/or skatting is also in order.

I've begun weekly Tai Chi classes which provide a good balance from the rapid digital dance, and hopefully will improve my balance so ice skating in winter will be more comfortable.

In any case the moral of the story is, one needs a balance - like someone above said a sitting all the time lifestyle can kill and cripple.

At bare minimum find an excuse to go walking, even something as basic as a brisk 10 or 15 minute to a cafe or a pub for a breakfast or lunch special, quick orange juice, small beer or coffee -- can pay for itself over time in lost down time.

mips
June 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I paid dearly for it 2 months ago with severe back pain that had me laid out for 3-4 days, and weeks of severe discomfort, loss of work time and so on. I'm still being treated for this.

Strengthening your core muscles will go a long way in preventing back issues.

whatthefunk
June 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cycling. I commute to work by bike, that gives me around 100 km per week. Other rides usually push my weekly ride distance to around 150 km per week. Its great fun and good exercise, but expensive to get started in.

Dragonbite
June 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Strengthening your core muscles will go a long way in preventing back issues.

My wife has back problems and Pilates helped her strengthen her core muscles significantly.

Before Pilates she was able to do just about anything not too strenuous on the back, except horseback riding (which bummed her out). Now, she's able to go riding again so long as she stretches in the morning, and gets her exercise daily.

Eiji Takanaka
July 1st, 2012, 02:10 AM
Sorry about the delayed response, been busy.

lol what is with the px90 or whatever its bloody called, advertising man. Its almost comical.

For the price of a bike i could get this wonderful dvd set that tells me how to exercise....

Yeah o.k, buy a bike which is generally useful, or buy a few crappy dvds, which tell me to do so and so exercises, because i cannot use my brain to figure out a fitness regime for myself.

C'mon dude get real.

Why you so keen on peddling the thing, you got shares in it or something?

sandyd
July 1st, 2012, 02:55 AM
I do mine at work. My work actually requires me to be fit, so I take time off inbetween.

I usually just do the 100m climb + pick 2 things from the list below.

Tai Chi (Chen Style)
Professional Dance (This is not what you normally see)
Biking
Yoga

My job also has lots of parts where I do exercise by default.

corrytonapple
July 1st, 2012, 03:12 AM
Why would it be locked? The community is more than "what do you use to play media files with." It's a real community - and this is the forum for any topic. We Linux "nerds" need a place to let our hair down and talk about anything that comes to mind - even if it's not computer related. If we don't allow that, then we are undermining the very premise of what a "community" is.

If we can't take some time to help one of our Linux / Ubuntu brothers with something other than how to configure his sound card - then as a "community" we fail. And Linux / Ubuntu isn't about failure.

The arguing between why the machine (PX whazever) is the best, and if anybody disagrees they are wrong.

Right now, we are breaking records in the US, so swimming is a nice thing to do.