PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new laptop

Hari5g900
June 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hello,
Can anyone provide a good choice for a new laptop. My requirements are these:
1. I want the price to not go above Rs.35000 (I am an Indian)
2. I play a lot of games (especially like call of duty: modern warfare 3)
3. I want it to be very fast
4. I am going to install (in partitions) Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
5. Apart from these, it should be a good all round performer

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

cortman
June 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hello,

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

I recently bought an HP DM4 series laptop, and was pretty impressed with the specs and form factor. I think it wound up costing around $575 USD (about Rs.33000).

philinux
June 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Moved to cafe.

uylug
June 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM
You should make sure you are really willing to pay for a gaming laptop.

Gaming laptops have proven to not be the way to go. Instead of getting a gaming laptop you should consider getting a high end desktop computer + mid end laptop for the same money.

You'll probably end up with a smoother experience on your desktop than on a gaming laptop plus you will also have another computer.

Simian Man
June 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I tend to agree with uylug. Plus I don't know how the computer market is in different parts of the world, but in the US, I wouldn't think you can find a "gaming" laptop for that low of a price. Do you need to play games on the go? Because a gaming desktop would give you much better performance : price ratio.

youknowme
June 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hello,

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Games huh? IMHO You should invest in a games console - Xbox or PS3. Sure you can play games on a laptop but not the kind that require constant keyboard pounding - otherwise your laptop will not last very long.

If i were in your shoes I would buy a games console and a cheap laptop for computing..

stmiller
June 27th, 2012, 02:01 AM
system76 of course! :)

https://www.system76.com/

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I disagree with not getting a laptop - they are plenty powerful enough now to handle most games.

I run an ASUS G60V and I can and DO run:

Quake Arena
Call of Duty
Everquest II
World of Warcraft
Eve Online
Metro 2033
Unreal
Unreal Toury
Doom 3
Quake Team Fortress (well have it installed, but haven't played it).

Now I will say that given my ASUS is a bit dated - I do have run in lower graphics mode (rather than extreme) for Metro, EQ II, and EVE.

BUT - they are still very playable - and enjoyable.

Installing some games like Metro was a PITA - but doable.

However, since you are going to run Windows 7 anyway it shouldn't be an issue - you can just game in Windows.

With a better gaming laptop you should be fine. Don't buy the hype that "desktops" are the only way to go for gaming - it's simply not true. I am not trying to step on anyone toes, but I wonder if the folks telling you to avoid laptops even game at all... or just regurgitating what they heard from someone else.

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

Not sure what that price converts to you in your home country's currency - but it clearly shows that gaming is quite easily accomplished on a laptop.

I would suggest going ASUS - I love ASUS - but they do run hot so make sure you do your yearly maintenance of removing the bottom and dusting it out. Avoid Alienware like the plague - their systems are WAY overpriced... I can't believe people actually pay their prices.

Just keep in mind that for gaming... size does matter... size in terms of your GPU. RAM and processor do matter, but not as much as your graphics processor.

Keep in mind that Windows is more of a resource hog than Ubuntu - so that can affect your gaming experience if you get a system that's too under powered - but you'll have more headaches with gaming in Linux.

Also keep in mind that the game has be coded to take advantage of the mutlicore processors - most older games are not. Everquest II is an example. Yes, I know I said the GPU is more important - but the CPU and RAM still matter.

When you are looking at your new laptop - review the graphics card. Check out the core clock speed, GPU memory, shader units, GPU clock speed - these all matter more than anything.

Given that most gaming 'tops are going to have more than 4 gigs of RAM now - it's so much of an issue - and besides you can always upgrade later. Same with the CPU.

Oh I forgot to add Vanguard Saga of Heros to my list. You want to talk about a game that DEVOURS resources? Vanguard is on par with Crisis IMO. Don't play it now because I just don't care for it so much - and it's buggy as hell - anyway different topic.

youknowme
June 27th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I disagree with not getting a laptop - they are plenty powerful enough now to handle most games.

I run an ASUS G60V and I can and DO run:

Quake Arena
Call of Duty
Everquest II
World of Warcraft
Eve Online
Metro 2033
Unreal
Unreal Toury
Doom 3
Quake Team Fortress (well have it installed, but haven't played it).

Now I will say that given my ASUS is a bit dated - I do have run in lower graphics mode (rather than extreme) for Metro, EQ II, and EVE.

BUT - they are still very playable - and enjoyable.

Installing some games like Metro was a PITA - but doable.

However, since you are going to run Windows 7 anyway it shouldn't be an issue - you can just game in Windows.

With a better gaming laptop you should be fine. Don't buy the hype that "desktops" are the only way to go for gaming - it's simply not true. I am not trying to step on anyone toes, but I wonder if the folks telling you to avoid laptops even game at all... or just regurgitating what they heard from someone else.

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

Not sure what that price converts to you in your home country's currency - but it clearly shows that gaming is quite easily accomplished on a laptop.

I would suggest going ASUS - I love ASUS - but they do run hot so make sure you do your yearly maintenance of removing the bottom and dusting it out. Avoid Alienware like the plague - their systems are WAY overpriced... I can't believe people actually pay their prices.

Just keep in mind that for gaming... size does matter... size in terms of your GPU. RAM and processor do matter, but not as much as your graphics processor.

Keep in mind that Windows is more of a resource hog than Ubuntu - so that can affect your gaming experience if you get a system that's too under powered - but you'll have more headaches with gaming in Linux.

Also keep in mind that the game has be coded to take advantage of the mutlicore processors - most older games are not. Everquest II is an example. Yes, I know I said the GPU is more important - but the CPU and RAM still matter.

When you are looking at your new laptop - review the graphics card. Check out the core clock speed, GPU memory, shader units, GPU clock speed - these all matter more than anything.

Given that most gaming 'tops are going to have more than 4 gigs of RAM now - it's so much of an issue - and besides you can always upgrade later. Same with the CPU.

Oh I forgot to add Vanguard Saga of Heros to my list. You want to talk about a game that DEVOURS resources? Vanguard is on par with Crisis IMO. Don't play it now because I just don't care for it so much - and it's buggy as hell - anyway different topic.

You sound like you know your onions. I have never been one for serious gaming on my laptop or any pc for that matter. I only play games like chess or card games on my laptop for obvious reasons.

I just prefer to use my xbox for real gaming - thats what it's for :D.

If the OP prefers to use a laptop to a console - good luck to him. I was just offering my opinion to try and help some.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Well sure, and you're on to something - a lot of gaming companies are looking at consoles over PC editions - as they should - because a system that is completely dedicated to gaming is going to be better than a laptop or desktop.

But, there is a lot of misinformation out there about gaming and laptops.

I wrote a tutorial about how to install Everquest II for Ubuntu users - and guess what? It's already obsolete as PlayonLinux does it all for you now.

Gaming, serious gaming, is viable in Linux and laptops - it just takes a lot of work - too much work IMO. I am actually teaching myself Python and Perl (excuse me... perl) now to do something about it. I want to create a program that assists Ubuntu / Debian / Mint users in installing and configuring their games - real games ;) Considering gaming has been a thorn in the side of Linux for some time - I decided I can sit on the sidelines and b***h about it, or learn a couple of languages and do something about it. I decided to do something about it.

But, as far as this topic - laptops today are more than able to handle gaming.

Metro is more demanding on a GPU than Crisis 1 - and I can run Metro - so yeah - laptops can do the job.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 04:47 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2011052

ASUS my brother... ASUS.

mips
June 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hello,

You are NOT going to get a 'gaming' laptop with that budget. Even a gaming desktop would not fall within that budget.

You will either have to up your budget or settle for less.

na5h
June 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
You are NOT going to get a 'gaming' laptop with that budget. Even a gaming desktop would not fall within that budget.

You will either have to up your budget or settle for less.
Mips might be right...If I'm correct, Rs.35000 should be around 500€ or $600.

I Googled around a bit and found out that you should be able to get a laptop with up to i5/4GB in India for that price...a mid-range laptop for casual gaming, that is. Don't know about any specs on the GPUs, though:
http://www.mysmartprice.com/computer/pricelist/laptops-between-rs-30000-and-rs-35000-in-india.html

mips
June 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Mips might be right...If I'm correct, Rs.35000 should be around 500€ or $600.

I Googled around a bit and found out that you should be able to get a laptop with up to i5/4GB in India for that price...a mid-range laptop for casual gaming, that is. Don't know about any specs on the GPUs, though:
http://www.mysmartprice.com/computer/pricelist/laptops-between-rs-30000-and-rs-35000-in-india.html

Out of that list look at the Samsung RC420 & Sony VAIO E Series VPCEB44EN as they have discreet GPUs but even those are bottom of the line.

Hari5g900
July 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for helping. I have googled a lot and found a laptop. It's a Samsung NP300E5Z-S08IN 2 Gen Ci5.
Do you think my option is good?
Have anyone used it?

Hari5g900
July 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO
Have anyone got anything to say about it?