PDA

View Full Version : Is Angelina Jolie Really a Hacker?

youknowme
June 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Angelina was of course in the movie hackers. She must have picked up some knowledge on the topic while acting the script. I reckon so anyway.

In the film she talked about liking RISC rather than CISC machines.

Can anyone shed any factual light on this subject????:popcorn::confused:

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Sylvester Stallone is a world class boxer and he won the purple heart.

Keanu Reeves can fly.

Carrie Ann Moss knows how to use nmap and sshnuke

Hugh Laurie is a trained physician.

Yes what you see on TV is real ;-)

Anybody who does anything learns a little bit about it, any actor learns or remembers what they did or do for a film, whether its real or not is a different matter.

If you are asking is "hackers" real, it has some elements and aliases based on real events and people such as "emmanuel goldstein" it also is a load of a rubbish at the same time

Movies are for entertainment.

I know people who have been in IT for 20+ years and still think that having symantec installed means you are protected, they couldnt even spell security. Making a movie about something does not teach you to be that something or necessarily anything about it from a realistic point of view.

If you watched it 1000000 times you wouldnt learn anything so why would she after making it and probably never watching it.

youknowme
June 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Sylvester Stallone is a world class boxer and he won the purple heart."
- perhaps not but he is still a tough bastard!

"Movies are for entertainment."
- is that all you get from them? What about documentary movies? What about films based on factual events? - are they all just to entertain? I would suggest that they can be very informative as well.

The fact is you are assuming Angelina had no interest in hacking. For all we know, she could be the head kingpin of Anonymous! {DISCLAIMER - I MAKE NO ASSERTION EITHER WAY - JUST SPECULATING FOR SAKE OF DISCUSSION};

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM

- is that all you get from them? What about documentary movies? What about films based on factual events? - are they all just to entertain? I would suggest that they can be very informative as well.

The fact is you are assuming Angelina had no interest in hacking. For all we know, she could be the head kingpin of Anonymous! {DISCLAIMER - I MAKE NO ASSERTION EITHER WAY - JUST SPECULATING FOR SAKE OF DISCUSSION};

The movie hackers and a documentary are totally differerent things. Fictional movies are for entertainment, you said hackers, that is to what i refer.

Anonymous is a internet meme which has no leader or membership, thus your point is moot

Sylvester is a tough ? why, cos he guzzled steroids and HGH ?

Angelina Jolie didnt need any training for that movie, very little in it was accurate.

I dont see a point to the discussion myself, so i will let others entertain it.

Peace

Grenage
June 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Angelina Jolie is as likely a hacker, as Arnold Schwarzenegger is a robot from the future. What a bizarre thread.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Angelina Jolie is as likely a hacker, as Arnold Schwarzenegger is a robot from the future. What a bizarre thread.

That being said, Arnie being a robot from the future i could believe ;-)

LOL

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
To help answer the OP bizarre question.

Interview with Angelina on Hackers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUSyvROTfA)

The chances of her knowing the difference between a buffer overflow and a sidejack or IPX and IP are as likely as me winning the lottery this evening (and i didnt get a ticket)

If she was or had any knowledge of computer hacking either malicious or not, then she wouldnt of allowed the portrayal to be so pathetically inaccurate

Grenage
June 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
You're right, it was a poor comparison. ;)

Tombgeek
June 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Well, I saw the film three days ago (rented the DVD because I've never seen it before). Judging by the film, I highly doubt that hackers navigate colourful 3D file systems, especially during the 90s. It's really just fictional fluff written by someone who knew nothing about hackers. Die Hard 4.0 had a more accurate representation of hackers, but even that had a lot more fictional elements.

I think Angelina Jolie was really just following her script. I highly doubt she learnt anything about hacking.

mips
June 26th, 2012, 02:39 PM
It's every bit as real as WWF!

Grenage
June 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM
It's every bit as real as WWF!

The man with the fanciest pants wins every time!

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
a couple of close examples of movie representations that show real "hacking" and "hackers" would be Takedown (though the story is skewed, but what they mention and show is reality) and the matrix (where trinity uses nmap and the sshnuke exploit) obviosly the story is a little off key....LOL

The movie hackers was more a representaton of the underground culture and cyberpunk androgyny very prolific in the NY hackers scene in the 90's, in fact very alive today if you attend any cons.

As for real world hacking or anything like that it was complete tosh, they threw in buzzwords at random moments to make it sound informed.]

it is very difficult to show in a movie the 3 months of reconnaissance and then a few weeks of scanning and enumerating, followed by weeks of failed access attempts, in a movie they press 3 keys and clap their hands and bang they are in...LOL

flemur13013
June 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, Angelina Jolie really is a hacker, and a good one!

In fact, this comment was written by the software she surreptitiously installed.

youknowme
June 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sylvester Stallone is a world class boxer and he won the purple heart.

Keanu Reeves can fly.

Carrie Ann Moss knows how to use nmap and sshnuke

Hugh Laurie is a trained physician.

Yes what you see on TV is real ;-)

Anybody who does anything learns a little bit about it, any actor learns or remembers what they did or do for a film, whether its real or not is a different matter.

If you are asking is "hackers" real, it has some elements and aliases based on real events and people such as "emmanuel goldstein" it also is a load of a rubbish at the same time

Movies are for entertainment.

I know people who have been in IT for 20+ years and still think that having symantec installed means you are protected, they couldnt even spell security. Making a movie about something does not teach you to be that something or necessarily anything about it from a realistic point of view.

If you watched it 1000000 times you wouldnt learn anything so why would she after making it and probably never watching it.

But all actors 'get into script'. You don't just blindly memorise stuff and play the part - an actor seeks to become the character they are portraying. - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series actress must have learned something about hacking to play the part well. Hollywood studios do a heck of a lot of work in preparing people for the roles they are going to play. Do you think Brad Pitt never studied Alexander the Great? Or didn't Kevin Costner study the alternative theories of what may have happened on that fateful day in November 1963? You are being naive my friend;)

And BTW People like Angelina most likely have far more time on their hands than the likes of you or me!

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM
But all actors 'get into script'. You don't just blindly memorise stuff and play the part - an actor seeks to become the character they are portraying. - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series actress must have learned something about hacking to play the part well. Hollywood studios do a heck of a lot of work in preparing people for the roles they are going to play. Do you think Brad Pitt never studied Alexander the Great? Or didn't Kevin Costner study the alternative theories of what may have happened on that fateful day in November 1963? You are being naive my friend;)

You answered your own question then, if actors get into their roles then she did also obvisiously (which i stated in my post
Anybody who does anything learns a little bit about it, any actor learns or remembers what they did or do for a film, whether its real or not is a different matter

Did she learn about hacking in making the movie ? yes probably but very unlikely she learnt how to be a hacker.

People with 20+ years experience dont necessarily have the skill or knowledge to become a hacker (and im using the term hacker in the movie and this thread sense and not the TMRC sense)

is she a hacker ? no one knows.

Does the movie mean she could of been or is ? in no way shape or form as it was wholly inaccurate.

Ji Ruo
June 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Angelina is a hacker of hearts and libidos. We are all powerless against her 1337 skilz

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Angelina is a hacker of hearts and libidos. We are all powerless against her 1337 skilz

I would rather kiss a jellyfish

IWantFroyo
June 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I would rather kiss a jellyfish

Trust me, that's not a pleasant feeling.

cprofitt
June 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I know people who have been in IT for 20+ years and still think that having symantec installed means you are protected, they couldnt even spell security.

Symantec is the new CA... its where product go to die after being purchased. I work on so many computers that are infected, badly, that have Symantec on them that I almost think Symantec is the 'trojan horse'.

To be fair I have seen quite a few that use ESET NOD on them as well.

IWantFroyo
June 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Symantec is the new CA... its where product go to die after being purchased. I work on so many computers that are infected, badly, that have Symantec on them that I almost think Symantec is the 'trojan horse'.

To be fair I have seen quite a few that use ESET NOD on them as well.

Half the time when a computer is glitching (in my experience), removing the antivirus/firewall fixes the problem.

QIII
June 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Angelina Jolie has no need to be a hacker. If she dressed just right (or not at all) she could probably walk right in to any IT department and be handed the keys to the kingdom.

blackbird34
June 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
On a related topic, has anyone seen the Millenium (swedish version) films (from Stieg Larsson's books)? Would those characters approach being hackers? Because at least she (and her mate) did their stuff in a Terminal, even though it looked like it was all to easy and preconfigured...

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
On a related topic, has anyone seen the Millenium (swedish version) films (from Stieg Larsson's books)? Would those characters approach being hackers? Because at least she (and her mate) did their stuff in a Terminal, even though it looked like it was all to easy and preconfigured...

Yes i have them all, good movies.

If we are trying to define hackers here ? which i am not sure if thats what we are doing or not, then it is simple really.

Hackers have a passion for technology and a lust for learning, that passion could be directed toward an antisocial end where the correct nomenclature would be cracker (not confused with copyright crackers) though the term is usually used to define either where context allows us to decide for ourselves.

To truly define then from RFC 1392:

hacker:
A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular. The term is often misused in a pejorative context, where "cracker" would be the correct term. See also: cracker. source: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1392#appendix-H

With all that in mind then everyone reading this thread can apply it to whoever they wish, fictional or not and make a decision.

Peace

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm sure she had no idea what those really are when she was saying that. She probably learned the general definitions, but I seriously doubt if she could have held a real discussion offstage about RISC vs. CISC.

The fact is you are assuming Angelina had no interest in hacking. For all we know, she could be the head kingpin of Anonymous! {DISCLAIMER - I MAKE NO ASSERTION EITHER WAY - JUST SPECULATING FOR SAKE OF DISCUSSION};That movie was a long, long time ago when she was a lot younger. Judging from what we see of her life in the public eye today, I highly doubt if she has retained much of what she learned from acting in that movie. The real Angelina Jolie of today doesn't really show any signs of being interested at all in hacking.

spynappels
June 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM
The real Angelina Jolie of today doesn't really show any signs of being interested at all in hacking.

Or acting IMHO....

Paqman
June 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
This thread makes my brain hurt.

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
This thread makes my brain hurt.

Why? It should be tickling your funny bone. :)

Paqman
June 26th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Maybe I've been on the internet too long, but I think I've lost the ability to see the wood for the trees. I can't help the sneaking suspicion that the OP is a brilliantly subtle troll, when a large part of my brain is screaming that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it could well be a duck.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM

I hit mine this morning, i didnt find it in the slight bit humerus.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe I've been on the internet too long, but I think I've lost the ability to see the wood for the trees. I can't help the sneaking suspicion that the OP is a brilliantly subtle troll, when a large part of my brain is screaming that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it could well be a duck.

I keep a bottle of single malt and a tub of xanex near my computer so that when i log into the forums i am well prepared.

PC_load_letter
June 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Hugh Laurie is a trained musician.

I corrected that for ya ;)

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I corrected that for ya ;)

It didnt need correcting, I know hes a trained musician.

Peace

ExSuSEusr
June 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Why is Stallone tough? Because he can act in choreographed sequences? Doesn't mean anything - you can put me in a movie and I can kill 20 guys at the same time - doesn't make me "tough" in real life because I can move in a predetermined sequence of "dance" events.

You want real movies tough guys... try Jet Li (an actual real life master martial artist), or as horrible of an actor as he is.... but Steven Seagal is also a for real master martial artist. Stallone? He's an actor - his scenes are fake. Doesn't make him tough.

Bandit
June 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Angelina was of course in the movie hackers. She must have picked up some knowledge on the topic while acting the script. I reckon so anyway.

Can anyone shed any factual light on this subject????:popcorn::confused:

LOL Hollywood yo..

Do we really need to debate her skills. None of us really know her. She could really be SandyD for all we know :biggrin:

ExSuSEusr
June 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
LOL Hollywood yo..

Do we really need to debate her skills. None of us really know her. She could really be SandyD for all we know :biggrin:

It's just funny to think that just because Matt Damon was a spy in the Borne Trilogy that he's now an expert driver because his stunt double drove Fiat down a flight of stairs.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I doubt she has time to "hack", she is far too busy running around in tight shorts and pistols raiding tombs

ExSuSEusr
June 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Reminded me of "the scene" in Entrapment with Cathrine Zetta

odiseo77
June 27th, 2012, 12:07 AM
But she is a hacker -a cracker, actually. I know it because she cracked into my computer last week to steal some pictures of me :P

QIII
June 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Only fair. After all, you had all those pictures of her.

HansKisaragi
June 27th, 2012, 12:21 AM
The title made my day. thanks :lolflag:

odiseo77
June 27th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Only fair. After all, you had all those pictures of her.

Yes, thinking it better, that's the most likely reason why she did it (to delete her pictures from my HDD) :D

Max Blyss
June 27th, 2012, 01:41 AM
The next time I recommend Ubuntu to a friend, and they say some dumb crap like "That Linux stuff is for, like, really smart people...", I'm going to pop open a browser and show them this thread and say "No, really, ANYONE can use it.".:lolflag:

PC_load_letter
June 27th, 2012, 03:36 AM
It didnt need correcting, I know hes a trained musician.

Peace

I was just trying to be funny, hence the winky smiley.

zombifier25
June 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
The next time I recommend Ubuntu to a friend, and they say some dumb crap like "That Linux stuff is for, like, really smart people...", I'm going to pop open a browser and show them this thread and say "No, really, ANYONE can use it.".:lolflag:

Including the Power Rangers (or whatever name they are using now)

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 03:41 AM
The next time I recommend Ubuntu to a friend, and they say some dumb crap like "That Linux stuff is for, like, really smart people...", I'm going to pop open a browser and show them this thread and say "No, really, ANYONE can use it.".

Well... come on now... Ubuntu users are a bit above the "average"

Did I mention Cathrine Zetta earlier?

:---) :) :redface: ):P :-& :shock: :oops: :wink:

I'll probably get in trouble for that... but I'll be ok.

Max Blyss
June 27th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Including the Power Rangers (or whatever name they are using now)

They drove robots... I bet they're hackers IRL!;)

Max Blyss
June 27th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Well... come on now... Cathrine Zetta...

Every time I hear her name, I'm overcome with grief that such, um, wisdom and talent was wasted on a 9,000 year old man, lol.

ExSuSEusr
June 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Every time I hear her name, I'm overcome with grief that such, um, wisdom and talent was wasted on a 9,000 year old man, lol.

No kidding... hell I was free!

forrestcupp
June 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I keep a bottle of single malt and a tub of xanex near my computer so that when i log into the forums i am well prepared.
Try a bottle of that old Janx spirit.

haqking
June 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Try a bottle of that old Janx spirit.

No !dont you give me no more of that old Janx Spirit,my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die......or somit like that ;-)

I spose it depends if you are a doug adams or a george lucas fan ;-)