PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux Is Best for File Servers? Survey Says: Debian and Ubuntu

newbie2
June 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Debian and Ubuntu Linux. This new survey comes from cloud storage and backup service firm Symform, which found that smaller businesses prefer Debian and Ubuntu over Red Hat distributions for file servers, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258286/which_linux_is_best_for_file_servers_survey_says_d ebian_and_ubuntu.html
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/debian-and-ubuntu-surpass-red-hat-and-centos-for-top-linux-distributions-on-smb-file-servers-2012-06-25
:popcorn:

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258286/which_linux_is_best_for_file_servers_survey_says_d ebian_and_ubuntu.html
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/debian-and-ubuntu-surpass-red-hat-and-centos-for-top-linux-distributions-on-smb-file-servers-2012-06-25
:popcorn:

67% prefer Debian, and 54% prefer Red Hat.

A full 67 percent of respondents using Linux on a file server, in fact, said they use Debian distributions, while only 54 percent use Red Hat-based ones.

They might want to check their maths.

Grenage
June 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
67% prefer Debian, and 54% prefer Red Hat.

They might want to check their maths.

True, if you assume that they have only one fileserver. ;)

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
True, if you assume that they have only one fileserver. ;)

The survey included 100 small and medium-sized business users,

A full 67 percent of respondents using Linux on a file server, in fact, said they use Debian distributions, while only 54 percent use Red Hat-based ones.;-)

I imagine to be more accurate they should of said, out of 100 users 70% couldnt figure out how to use Red Hat, 20% managed to get Debian up and running eventually, the other 10% are still waiting for a reply from a forum on how to get past the purple screen LOL

Peace

Grenage
June 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
What I mean is, many companies have several fileservers; it's possible that some of them have both Debian and Redhat servers, thus ticking both boxes. :)

Of course, given their language, they could have been talking about RH/Deb on non-fileservers! The quality of news authoring really has slumped, hasn't it?

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 10:55 AM
What I mean is, many companies have several fileservers; it's possible that some of them have both Debian and Redhat servers, thus ticking both boxes. :)

Of course, given their language, they could have been talking about RH/Deb on non-fileservers! The quality of news authoring really has slumped, hasn't it?

Indeed, i dont read or watch the news, i never buy a paper and i dont own a TV, anything i want to watch i download (and its never news).

News and journalists are just bad storytellers, i prefer to choose my fiction from a library or amazon.

Porcini M.
July 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM

Readers demanding free news ==> lower overall quality

haqking
July 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
The best Linux or more to the point the best OS in general is the one you know how to administer correctly be it Linux (whatever distro though a server version would be best) or Unix or Windows or whatever.

Peace

cprofitt
July 3rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
The best Linux or more to the point the best OS in general is the one you know how to administer correctly be it Linux (whatever distro though a server version would be best) or Unix or Windows or whatever.

Peace

Have to agree there... the best is the one you know how to use and secure.

Primefalcon
July 3rd, 2012, 02:57 AM
;-)

I imagine to be more accurate they should of said, out of 100 users 70% couldnt figure out how to use Red Hat, 20% managed to get Debian up and running eventually, the other 10% are still waiting for a reply from a forum on how to get past the purple screen LOL

Peace
as far as running a server goes I'd honestly recomend Ubuntu LTS edition... they are rock solid... especially on the server

haqking
July 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
as far as running a server goes I'd honestly recomend Ubuntu LTS edition... they are rock solid... especially on the server

So is any server OS on the right hardware if you know how to administer it.

kurt18947
July 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Indeed, i dont read or watch the news, i never buy a paper and i dont own a TV, anything i want to watch i download (and its never news).

News and journalists are just bad storytellers, i prefer to choose my fiction from a library or amazon.

Would you mind terribly if i forward that to the heads of ABC,CBS, CNN, NBC, NY Times et. al?:lolflag:

haqking
July 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Would you mind terribly if i forward that to the heads of ABC,CBS, CNN, NBC, NY Times et. al?:lolflag:
feel free ;-)

Simian Man
July 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
There's really nothing about different distros that actually make one or the other better for a file server. This is nothing more than a survey on the administrator's favorite.

Primefalcon
July 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
There's really nothing about different distros that actually make one or the other better for a file server. This is nothing more than a survey on the administrator's favorite.
puppy ftw then?

haqking
July 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
puppy ftw then?

I think we are assuming distros with server versions ;-)

That being said a file server is a file server, if you share a file resource then by definition it is a file server and you can do that reliably with any distro, scalability is the key of course here and for that then any server version if administered correctly is suitable, the rest comes down to environment and budget and if support is needed etc

Peace

Artemis3
July 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Of course you can do servers with any distro (or without linux for that matter); the purpose of distros is usually to reduce time spending in setting up and administration, and different distros provide different ways or extra tools for that.

For example Ubuntu Server provides cloud setting tools not available in Debian, that doesn't mean it can't be done there, but will take more time, which people often don't have...

rai4shu2
July 4th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Reminds me of a few people who ran Fedora servers... I don't remember what happened to them.