PDA

View Full Version : Error message in Eclipse: "Editor does not contain a main type"

jhargis1012
June 26th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Hello.

I'm still new at Linux and programming so please forgive the newbie question.

I am learning Java programming and I would like to move my projects to Ubuntu. I downloaded Eclipse as my IDE, and it was working fine for me for a while (I was able to edit, run, and save programs). I dual boot with Windows 7 and I've done most of my programming work in Windows. I store and access all my Java files on the Windows partition at /media/Windows7_OS/Users/Jeremy/Documents/Study - Java 1/linux/TestEclipse/src.

When I boot up, I first open Ubuntu's file browser and open the Windows partition so it is mounted. Then I open Eclipse. I am able to view the code for my *.java files, but suddenly for some reaosn when I try to run them I get this error: "Editor does not contain a main type". That is strange to me because I've tried it on several Java programs that I know work just fine in Windows (although I don't use Eclipse in Windows).

I skimmed Google and either the situation in which others had similar errors didn't apply to me or I didn't understand the solutions.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Here is an example of the code I'm working on:

import javax.swing.*;
public class StudentIDArray
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
int[] studentIDs = {1234, 2435, 3456, 4567, 5678, 6789, 7890, 8901, 9012, 0123};
String[] firstNames = {"John", "Ben", "Mary", "Sally", "Fred", "Biff", "Diane", "Justin", "Pete", "Laura"};
double[] gradeAverage = {2.3, 3.1, 4.0, 2.5, 3.6, 3.3, 3.1, 2.9, 3.8, 3.7};
final int NUMBER_OF_STUDENTS = 10;
String inputString;
int inputNumber;
String selectedName = "";
double selectedGPA = 0;
boolean validID = false;
do
{
inputString = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter the student ID of the student >>");
inputNumber = Integer.parseInt(inputString);
for(int x = 0; x < NUMBER_OF_STUDENTS; ++x)
{
if(inputNumber == studentIDs[x])
{
validID = true;
selectedName = firstNames[x];
selectedGPA = gradeAverage[x];
}
}
}
while(validID == false);
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Information for student " + inputNumber + ":\n Name: " + selectedName +
"\n GPA: " + selectedGPA);
}
}