PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updating ubuntu to 10.04, grub install devices?

arctyler
June 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM
i am a complete newb when it comes to ubuntu, windows on the other hand im not that bad at, but about 2-3 years ago i installed ubuntu to try it out with my friends help, and he serperated the hard drive space so when i boot my PC i can select which operating system i want to use, either windows 7 or ubuntu, and now i am going to update it and start using it again and i almost got it updated and i have a screen that says "configuring grub-pc" then it says "GRUB install devices:" then for the choices i have /dev/sda then -/dev/sda5 then i have /dev/sdc and each of them have a whole list of confusing things in parenthesis after them, which one do i choose? dont forget that i am a complete newb and just about have no idea what i am doing on linux

darkod
June 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
The /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc are the disks, in order how BIOS detects them on the board they get named a, b, c, etc.

If it has a number after the letter, then it's a partition on that disk. So, sda5 for example is partition #5 on the first disk.

The grub2 bootloader usually goes to the MBR of the disk, not to a partition. And it would usually be the first disk, sda, but this can vary with multiple disks and depending how your system is set up.

So, you can try /dev/sda first. Note that in a textual menu the selection is usually done with Space, not Enter. You hit Space so that a * mark appears to mark it as selected, and then you hit Enter to continue. Otherwise if you only hit Enter it can continue with nothing selected.

arctyler
June 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
thanks man, it was /dev/sda