PDA

View Full Version : Converting from .ogg to .ogg

kudzu
June 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a very specific music file situation that I could use some help with: I had several CDs stored on my hard drive in .wma format, but my Android phone doesn't recognize track sequencing information for .wma files. So, I converted them all to .ogg using "Sound Converter," and I chose to convert them using the "insanely high" quality option. What I should have realized, but didn't, though, is that all those new .ogg files would be insanely huge. Now I'd like to convert them to "regular" quality .oggs to save space on my hard drive. My question is: Will these new, "regular" quality .ogg files be inferior to the original .wma files that I converted from? As in, by converting from a lossy format to another lossy format (albeit the very same lossy format) will I have degraded the quality of my files to the point that they will be worse than the originals? If that's the case, I may just leave them as the humongous files that they currently are.

Thanks!

CharlesA
June 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
OGG is just a container format, it is a lossy, so you'd be better off converting the WMA to OGG again.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219349

I prefer FLAC, which is lossless, but the file sizes are bloody huge.

philinux
June 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Moved to multimedia forum.

kudzu
June 25th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Ah, thanks for the move.

As for the files, I would convert from the original .wmas if I could... but I deleted all of them to save space.

hakermania
June 25th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ah, thanks for the move.

As for the files, I would convert from the original .wmas if I could... but I deleted all of them to save space.

Hint of the minute: External Hard Disks are quite cheap :)

Why don't you try to convert one of your files and see if you are satisfied with the new quality?

kudzu
June 25th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hint of the minute: External Hard Disks are quite cheap :)

Why don't you try to convert one of your files and see if you are satisfied with the new quality?

This is true. And good idea about testing the sound quality.

sudodus
June 25th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Converting from a high-quality file (in a lossy format) to a low-quality file should be OK (almost as good as to make that low-quality file from the original file. Obviously you cannot reverse the process).

Try with different settings of you converter to find the optimal balance between quality and file size.