PDA

View Full Version : Why switch in email clients

wpshooter
June 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I notice that in Ubuntu 12.04 the default / installed e-mail client is now Thunderbird instead of Evolution which has been the default client for a goodly number of the past Ubuntu versions. Yes, I know that I can install and use Evolution if I choose.

Why has this been switched to Thunderbird ? Is it supposed to be superior to Evolution ? And if so, in what way(s) ? Does Thunderbird have all of the little bells & whistles (i.e. calendar related functions) that Evolution has ?

I know that in the past that this change between Evolution and Thunderbird has taken place before.

It would be nice if & when they decide to change these default installed applications in Ubuntu that they would be better at giving some explanation to users as to why the change is being made.

Thanks.

revtds
June 26th, 2012, 12:58 AM
As a follow-up question, what do you do if you were synching a Visor Handspring in 11.04 with Evolution, and now are told to migrate to Thunderbird, whose website basically says if you want to use Sunbird, the latest calendar with Thunderbird, you are out of luck if you want to use a Handspring Visor. Then after installing Evolution 3.2.3, you find out that the sync menus are all gone, and the documentation that tells you how to do it is out of date, and there appears to be no way to sync a Visor with an Ubuntu machine anymore? What happened to keeping legacy equipment viable and usable, as I used to read about constantly in linux forums.

Does anyone else have issues with 12.04 and a Visor. If so, have you found a way around it?

dcstar
June 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM
It would be nice if & when they decide to change these default installed applications in Ubuntu that they would be better at giving some explanation to users as to why the change is being made.

It was changed in 11.10, here's why:

http://design.canonical.com/2011/08/thunderbird-evolution-usability-testing/

There is always plenty of information on why most things occur, just don't expect to have them served up to you.

mastablasta
June 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM
i think the calendar in Thunderbird is also Lightning. I am not sure hwo it is different form Sunbird but maybe it will work better.

dcstar
June 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Then after installing Evolution 3.2.3, you find out that the sync menus are all gone.

Did you install all the other Evolution packages that may support that feature?

Buster95
June 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I was also "encouraged" to make the switch.

I found Thunderbird and the Lightning calendar attachment simpler and easier to use than Evolution, so I don't have a problem with the switch.

My gripe was and still is that there was no migration support package to smooth out the transition bumps. I spent many unsuccessful hours trying to switch AND retain my email history.

It's a bit like golf. A good swing can be ruined by a bad follow-through!

zombifier25
June 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
For normal users (which is the primary target of Ubuntu), Thunderbird fits them more perfectly. Thunderbird is easier to set up (and I've tried both), and Thunderbird is more popular to Windows users. For corporate solutions, Evolution is a better choice.

And I'm pretty sure you can migrate all mails from Evolution to Thunderbird.

Grenage
June 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I was very happy with the default change; I've had to use Thunderbird for some time, due to stability and feature issues with Evolution. I am in a corporate environment.

Where Evolution dragged its slow posterior around, failing at even simple LDAP lookups, Thunderbird is comparatively flawless.*

*Opinion alert.

wpshooter
June 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I was very happy with the default change; I've had to use Thunderbird for some time, due to stability and feature issues with Evolution. I am in a corporate environment.

Where Evolution dragged its slow posterior around, failing at even simple LDAP lookups, Thunderbird is comparatively flawless.*

*Opinion alert.

Grenage:

Have you used the add-on "Lightning" (calendar) feature in conjunction with Thunderbird ?

I don't particularly like the look of Thunderbird (layout, etc. looks a bit amateurish when compared to Evolution (which more closely resembles Outlook)). I suppose that the default look can be re-configured somewhat.

However, the account setup under Thunderbird is a lot more automated than Evolution. I just did a test setup of my Verizon e-mail account under Thunderbird and it was simply a matter of putting in my Verizon e-mail address and password and everything was done for me, whereas Evolution is not quite that simple.

If you have used the Lightning add-on with Thunderbird, please let me know what you think of its ease of use and dependability / stability.

Thanks.

Grenage
June 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Have you used the add-on "Lightning" (calendar) feature in conjunction with Thunderbird ?

Hi, wpshooter.

I do indeed use Lightning - I'm not sure I'd use Thunderbird if it wasn't available. It's not yet gone wrong, although there was a short period some time ago where I updated Thunderbird, and Lightning wasn't compatible. Thankfully, an update was released quite quickly.

It's very easy to set up and use.

revtds
July 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments, but no one addressed the issue I am having, which is the fact that Thuderbird/Lightning have no way to sync a handheld device with the calendar, which is a critical need for me.

I cannot get Jpilot to function to sync, and with the upgraded Evolutioni, it was taken out of there as well. I now have 2 months of unsynced data on my pda and no way to connect with my calendar, and memos.

Any insights or directions to help would be deeply appreciated.

Grenage
July 5th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Is syncing with an online calendar an option? You device could then sync with the online calendar; that's what I do.

dcstar
July 6th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments, but no one addressed the issue I am having, which is the fact that Thuderbird/Lightning have no way to sync a handheld device with the calendar, which is a critical need for me.

Then start a separate thread with that as the topic.

Elfy
July 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Just one more "why didn't I know" thread

@revtds - I suggest you start a thread for your issue