PDA

View Full Version : Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic for precise

Welly Wu
June 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Today, I watched this recent YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=traegZveTKo

I carefully followed the instructions and I downloaded and I installed Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic for Precise Pangolin. Previously, Linux kernel 3.2.0-generic would frequently notify me that a random software application has crashed and it asked me if I wanted to send a crash report to Canonical. This got to be rather frustrating to me since it kept happening all of the time. I don't have any new PC hardware as I have an older ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. I noticed that Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic for precise does not constantly inform me that another random software application has just crashed and it does not ask me if I want to send a crash report to Canonical. This is good news. The other thing that I noticed about Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic for precise is that it is improved in terms of energy efficiency or battery life compared to Linux kernel 3.2.0-generic. Finally, I noticed some noticeable speed and performance improvements as everything is more fluid and responsive due to the fact that Ubuntu is not constantly informing me that another software application has just crashed with the Linux kernel 3.2.0-generic.

This is the first time that I have manually upgraded my Linux kernel and I thought that the process was rather simple and easy. I was a bit apprehensive about doing this in the first place because Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support was working pretty okay for me, but I am now glad that I did upgrade to Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic because software applications no longer crash randomly and using my computer is smoother and it is more responsive. I would not recommend that everybody who uses precise pangolin do this on their computers worldwide. However, I just wanted to state for the record that Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic solves the software application crashes permanently.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

Welly Wu
June 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I got an extra 10 - 15 minutes of battery life with Linux kernel 3.4.0-generic for precise. Now, my Lithium Ion 6 cell 48Wh battery can last just over 4 hours on a full charge. I remember using Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition and I got about 3.5 hours of battery life. This is pretty cool in my book.

DingusFett
June 25th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I followed the steps here (http://packages.qa.dev.stgraber.org/qatracker/milestones/223/builds/16265/downloads) to install linux kernel 3.5.0-1-generic and it has been great. The upgrade went through without a hitch, and everything is still working fine. Have noticed an improvement to boot times too.