PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install without accessing Bios

coopsinio
June 24th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I have an eeePC 900a and have successfully run a number of editions of ubuntu on it over the past few years. Unfortunately it has been bashed a few times and as a result I can't use the F2 key. I am trying to install a fresh version of the new Ubuntu (I don't want to upgrade) using a USB pen which I have done before. Unfortunately without the F2 key I cannot access the Bios and therefore cannot make my machine boot from the USB. Is there any way that I can either: access the bios without using the F2 key or, access the bios some other way or, boot from the USB some other way (by using "grub 2" perhaps, I have tried to read up about this but got a little confused)

Many thanks in advance

haqking
June 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I have an eeePC 900a and have successfully run a number of editions of ubuntu on it over the past few years. Unfortunately it has been bashed a few times and as a result I can't use the F2 key. I am trying to install a fresh version of the new Ubuntu (I don't want to upgrade) using a USB pen which I have done before. Unfortunately without the F2 key I cannot access the Bios and therefore cannot make my machine boot from the USB. Is there any way that I can either: access the bios without using the F2 key or, access the bios some other way or, boot from the USB some other way (by using "grub 2" perhaps, I have tried to read up about this but got a little confused)

Many thanks in advance

buy a new keyboard then plug it in.

If its a laptop, plug in the new keyboard you bought above ^ ;-).

Peace

darkod
June 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
You can also check if you get a boot menu with F12, F10 or similar. On some computers you get a boot menu to select the boot device without actually going into BIOS.