PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 12.04 (encrypted) onto an existing partition

MagicalDean
June 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04, both from separate HDs. However, the drive I want to use for Ubuntu is already partly used for backups. I therefore have two separate partitions, one of which I want to install Ubuntu onto. I'm trying to find a guide to do this while also encrypting Ubuntu, but I've completely failed so far. Are there actually any available?

cyrus_the_virus
June 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Assuming that you only want to encrypt your home directory and swap partition, this should be pretty straight forward.

Boot into the ubuntu livecd
Select install
When the installer asks where to install Ubuntu, you should select the "Advanced" or "choose yourself" option (not sure how it is called)
Selector create the partition where you want to install it.
More specifically, make sure you have two partitions:
- One "Swap" partition. It is recommended that this partition is about the size of your systems amount of RAM. This is used as an extension of your systems RAM.
- One EXT4 partition with mount point '/' (no quotes). This is the main parition for Ubuntu.

When the installer asks about your user name, you can select "Encrypt my home folder"

Hope that helps

MagicalDean
June 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I remember doing it ages ago, and I think there was a partition for /home instead of the "Encrypt my home folder" option. Is the end result the same?

cyrus_the_virus
June 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I remember doing it ages ago, and I think there was a partition for /home instead of the "Encrypt my home folder" option. Is the end result the same?

I do remember that option, but as far as I recall that had nothing to do with encryption.
The 'Encrypt my home folder' option will not create a separate partition; your files are stored on the main partition instead (/).