PDA

View Full Version : Ugentu/Genbuntu

Pirie.ian
June 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I just want to give a shout out to Ugentu/GenBunToo. I am a fan of the idea behind gentoo in optimizing the operating system from a compiler stand point. I think that it will hopefully increase the speed at which unity runs as well as it is not quite as responsive as I would like it to be.

Please, can this project give me some type of date that you guys are hoping to finish by?

Also, if you would like any help, I would be glad to try my hand. Currently, I am trying to create an auto configuration file for the kernel( I am still in need of a lot of research specifically on all hardware and what each component needs and what it doesn't need from the kernel libraries as well as extra stable options it can use).

Ian

Info >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GenBunToo

sffvba[e0rt
June 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I just want to give a shout out to Ugentu/GenBunToo. I am a fan of the idea behind gentoo in optimizing the operating system from a compiler stand point. I think that it will hopefully increase the speed at which unity runs as well as it is not quite as responsive as I would like it to be.

Please, can this project give me some type of date that you guys are hoping to finish by?

Also, if you would like any help, I would be glad to try my hand. Currently, I am trying to create an auto configuration file for the kernel( I am still in need of a lot of research specifically on all hardware and what each component needs and what it doesn't need from the kernel libraries as well as extra stable options it can use).

Ian

Info >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GenBunToo

From the wiki page:

GenBunToo (last edited 2008-08-06 16:30:35 by localhost)

I would say this project is dead.

Pirie.ian
June 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
But why!?! X_X

Version Dependency
June 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Combining elements of Ubuntu and Gentoo? I can see why that project never got off the ground.

And to the OP, are you using 12.04 LTS? I find Unity to be rather snappy in 12.04. It was quite a bit slower in 11.10, and very slow in 11.04.

forrestcupp
June 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
If you want the good points of Gentoo in an OS that is simpler to use, you should check out Sabayon Linux. With Sabayon, you have a choice between using Portage to compile all your packages, or using Entropy to install binaries from their repos. You won't find anything like that that uses Unity, though.

codingman
June 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM
^
Sabayon is great, genbuntu didn't flap a wingbeat and fell through the earth's crust.