PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] LXPanel Settings - Get Back "Power" Icon

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Hey everybody! :)

In my journey to find a lighter Desktop Environment, I installed LXDE, and it works very fast. However, while I was customizing the LXPanel, I accidentally removed the "Power" icon and now my panel looks like this: see screenshot. How do I get back that icon?

Dennis N
June 24th, 2012, 03:06 AM
One method: Use the terminal - You can get the original default panel back with:

lxpanelctl restart

which will include the shutdown button. Any changes you made will have to be redone.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 03:20 AM
One method: Use the terminal - You can get the original default panel back with:

lxpanelctl restart

which will include the shutdown button. Any changes you made will have to be redone.

Didn't work. :(

black veils
June 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM
you should be able to right-click the panel, find where to add items/plugins to it, and look for the power add-on or an indicator.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I've tried to find something related to "Shutdown", "Power"..etc, but nothing.

black veils
June 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
oh that button, i thought you meant the one with battery, for power settings.

it might be called Session

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 07:00 AM
oh that button, i thought you meant the one with battery, for power settings.

it might be called Session

:lolflag: Yeah, the button that let's you log out, shut down, switch user..etc.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Here's a screenshot of what is available to me when I try adding an application. No "Session", no "Shutdown", no "Power". I haven't a clue. :(

black veils
June 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
what system do you have - how did you acquire the lxpanel? do you have ubuntu and just install the panel, or do you have lxde?

if you just have the panel, i suggest completely uninstalling it, using Synaptic, then installing again.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 08:44 AM
what system do you have - how did you acquire the lxpanel? do you have ubuntu and just install the panel, or do you have lxde?

if you just have the panel, i suggest completely uninstalling it, using Synaptic, then installing again.

I have LXDE on Ubuntu. I installed LXDE using the Ubuntu Software Center. I was thinking of uninstalling LXDE and reinstalling it again, as a last resort. You suggest I do that?

black veils
June 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
there are different packages for installing lxde, don't know what you used, maybe you could try lubuntu-desktop instead? then as usual, choose your session from the login screen.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 09:05 AM
there are different packages for installing lxde, don't know what you used, maybe you could try lubuntu-desktop instead? then as usual, choose your session from the login screen.

The only thing I did was go to Ubuntu Software Center, typed in LXDE, only one result showed, and I installed it. That's exactly the steps that I did in getting LXDE. After installing it, I logged out of my Ubuntu with GNOME Classic (No effects) Desktop Environment and logged into LXDE. Will installing lubuntu-desktop replace my ubuntu-desktop? I don't want that. Hope I made everything clear. :) Appreciate the help.

black veils
June 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
use Synaptic to install either

lxde

or

lubuntu-desktop

it won't remove your ubuntu desktop, they are just other desktop sessions, different packages are available for the lxde desktop environment.

vasa1
June 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Didn't work. :(

What happened? Was there any response in the terminal? Error message? Anything?

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
What happened? Was there any response in the terminal? Error message? Anything?

Nope, nothing at all.

shadius@shadius-5410US:~$ lxpanelctl restart
shadius@shadius-5410US:~$

That's all I get. I used Ctrl+Alt+T to open up Terminal. I don't know if that makes a difference.

vasa1
June 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Nope, nothing at all.

shadius@shadius-5410US:~$ lxpanelctl restart
shadius@shadius-5410US:~$

That's all I get. I used Ctrl+Alt+T to open up Terminal. I don't know if that makes a difference.

And I assume you did a restart of your computer after that, or at least logged out and back in? Some things need a log out and log in. Others need a reboot.

Shadius
June 24th, 2012, 09:44 AM
And I assume you did a restart of your computer after that, or at least logged out and back in? Some things need a log out and log in. Others need a reboot.

Yupp, logged out, logged back in. Tried it again, rebooted. Still didn't work.

kalehrl
June 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Type this command as normal user:

mv ~/.config/lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/panel ~/
Then, restart lxpanel with:

lxpanelctl restart
It works on normal Lubuntu (lxde) so it may work on Ubuntu with lxde as well.

seppalta
June 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Have you checked the logout desktop file in /usr/share/applications for correctness? That it includes LXDE among the systems allowed? You can also just create a new desktop file with exec=lxde-logout. http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#11

VinDSL
June 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Let's try a quick n' dirty screencast... ;)

HOWTO: VinDSL adds a "Shutdown" icon to LXPanel (http://vindsl.com/video/vindsl-howto-add-lxpanel-shutdown.zip)

Shadius
June 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Let's try a quick n' dirty screencast... ;)

HOWTO: VinDSL adds a "Shutdown" icon to LXPanel (http://vindsl.com/video/vindsl-howto-add-lxpanel-shutdown.zip)

Really appreciate your efforts here VinDSL, but I don't have that "Shutdown" icon to add. :( I got fed up and just uninstalled LXDE, but I still see the options LXDE, GNOME/Openbox and Openbox are present in the login screen. Why are they still there and how do I get rid of them?

VinDSL
June 26th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I got fed up and just uninstalled LXDE, but I still see the options LXDE, GNOME/Openbox and Openbox are present in the login screen. Why are they still there and how do I get rid of them?
Not sure about that.

I quit trying to config LightDM a long time ago.

It's like playing with nitroglycerin! LoL! :D

Shadius
June 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Not sure about that.

I quit trying to config LightDM a long time ago.

It's like playing with nitroglycerin! LoL! :D

:lolflag: Thanks for the help anyway VinDSL. Now I just want to get rid of LXDE completely. My LightDM is a mess with those entries. Eyesores.

Shadius
June 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Here's something weird. I uninstalled LXDE via Ubuntu Software Center and it shows that it is uninstalled, but Synaptic Package Manager shows related packages of LXDE. :confused: Why wasn't everything that was installed, uninstalled?

I've attached screenshots to make things clear. I've marked the packages related to LXDE for complete removal.