PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Dimension 2400...

Lemonboi5
June 23rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
So as it says in the title, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 I am wanting to put Xubuntu or Ubuntu on (I don't care which at the moment) I've tried both, and I've tried Puppy linux, and linux mint 9 and 13. I cannot seem to get anything running correctly. It will never make it to the live cd setup, It hangs on the logo with a mouse, and the bar going back, and forth, and then it eventually stops, and shuts down.
I can't install any linux distro at all on this garbage.

2GB DDR 333MHZ Ram (Upgrade)
3.06GHZ Intel P4 Processor (upgrade)
160GB Hard drive (Upgrade)
HIS Radeon 9250 (Upgrade)
USB Mouse and Keyboard if that makes any difference.
I am trying to install a distro alone, Windows runs fine on it though.

Puppy linux- It installs with no problem, BUT then when I turn it on it gets to a part where its hangs at "Recognising Media Devices... optical input" and just Freezes.
On Linux Mint 9 & 13 I install it fine, but it will never boot into the system.
Ubuntu & Xubuntu: Doesn't even make it to the installation screen unless I press F6 then doesn't load anyways. Which I find weird cause Ubuntu is the easiest to install on any other computer I've ever had.

mörgæs
June 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you tried the alternate ISO?

Lemonboi5
June 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you tried the alternate ISO?

Hello, thanks for the reply:)
I haven't tried it yet, I will now, whats different in it? Thanks.

black veils
June 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
did you try installing without the usb mouse and keyboard? i have read that can be an issue, dont know how common though.

Lemonboi5
June 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
did you try installing without the usb mouse and keyboard? i have read that can be an issue, dont know how common though.

Will keep this in mind & get back to you all :P

Lemonboi5
June 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
So I am installing it from the alternative (text based) install. (Xubuntu) and it hangs at "Detecting Link on eth0; please wait...

black veils
June 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
have you got it connected to the internet by wire?

Lemonboi5
June 23rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
have you got it connected to the internet by wire?

Yes, anyhow.. the computer is not even showing up on the screen anymore. Not even bios logo* :s is it finally shot?

black veils
June 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
could be PSU or motherboard then.

Edit:

is there any activity, like fan, harddrive noise, flashing lights?

Lemonboi5
June 24th, 2012, 01:42 AM
could be PSU or motherboard then.

Edit:

is there any activity, like fan, harddrive noise, flashing lights?

Yes, Everything seems to come on fine as usual, but no activity on the screen, I've tried two monitors in which says "no signal" I even swapped out the graphics cards and it still says "no signal" then I resorted to onboard graphics, still says same thing :s

EDIT:
The Dell came on fine with the onboard now, I don't know what happened o.O maybe the PSU is failing, I really think it would be the first thing to fail, its still the same one from 03 or 04 whenever the pc was made. It is now installing Xubuntu from the Alternative disc. Now I hope I can finally get into the OS before anything else happens.. :P

Lemonboi5
June 24th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Sorry for the double posting, but I've finally got Xubuntu running, then I stuck my PCI Wireless Network card in, and Bam. It doesn't want to log in anymore. It must be my wlan card?

Edit: after fussing with it for so long, I changed the hard drive back to the original. I noticed the other had a bent pin (really not good.) I installed Xubuntu normally, and it went great! now when it boots its just a black screen D: I feel like I'm so close! lol

mörgæs
June 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Does this help for the black screen?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Lemonboi5
June 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Does this help for the black screen?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

I don't believe so.. I tried, but it freezes on a black screen with a white underscore _ on it. It blinks a few times, and just stops

Which should I be using? I've tried 12.04, and I've tried 10.04, I think my graphics card is majorly unsupported.. its a HIS Radeon 9250
I thought, maybe all I have to do is use the onboard, install a driver for that card, and stick it back in and voila. I was wrong though. Doesn't work that way I guess :( every time I used my onboard things came out great, but my onboard card is so bad its not even funny.

mörgæs
June 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I still think you should try to post in the thread. I don't have any experience with your graphics card, sorry.