PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Simple PHP File Upload not working

PaulM1985
June 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi

I have tried setting up a simple PHP file upload so that I can move files about on my local wireless network.

I have copied the code from this tutorial (http://www.tizag.com/phpT/fileupload.php) hoping it would just work, but unfortunately I always get the error message.

I guessing it might be to do with permissions on the folder, but I tried setting the ownership from "root" to myself and that didn't fix the problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Paul

Dimarchi
June 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Better minds may clarify - and correct - this, but my understanding of the situation is as follows: it is not root nor you who needs the permission to write a file...it is the server, since it does the job (www-data in case of Apache 2, if I recall correctly).

PaulM1985
June 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ok, so what do I need to enter into my chown? Is there a way so that I can use chown to make access available to everyone? There is no real issue regarding security for me since this is to only be used on a small personal network.

Paul

SeijiSensei
June 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
You must use a directory to which the www-data has write privileges. /tmp is the easiest solution since all users can write there.

I dislike the fact that Ubuntu points the DirectoryRoot to /var/www, much preferring the RedHat model where publicly-visible pages are stored in something like /var/www/htdocs which lets me create other directories under /var/www that are invisible to website visitors. In this model I'd have:

/var/www/htdocs - DocumentRoot
/var/www/upload - temporary upload storage

The www-data user should have read and list privileges to /var/www/htdocs. Giving that user write privileges is a potential security hole. For /var/www/upload the user www-data needs all privileges.

If you have multiple people creating content for the site, I'd put them in a "webauthors" group, and give the group write privileges to /var/www/htdocs.

sudo addgroup webauthors
sudo adduser bill webauthors
sudo adduser mary webauthors
cd /var/www
sudo mkdir htdocs upload
sudo chown www-data:webauthors htdocs
sudo chown www-data:www-data upload
sudo chmod 575 htdocs
sudo chmod 700 upload

If you're the only person who will creating content for the site, you can set just use your own username for the group since every user in Ubuntu has a group created with the same username and that single account as a member.

In the <VirtualHost> configuration, you would have

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName myserver.example.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs
<Directory "/var/www/htdocs">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
[other options if appropriate]
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

PaulM1985
June 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help SeijiSensei. I have a folder /var/www/uploads so I did:

paul@paul-desktop:/var/www$ sudo chown www-data uploads

at it is now working.

I have a few PCs running poker AI evolution on an adhoc wireless network and I connect to them using Remote Desktop. It is a hassle transferring poker players about using USB sticks to test them on my main PC so uploading via a webpage is much easier.

Thanks again.

Paul