PDA

View Full Version : Why Debian Install Is better then ubuntu - My Thoughts

nitricacid
June 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Latest Debian:
The latest stable release of Debian is 3.1. The last update to this release was made on April 19th, 2006

My Thoughts on Debian And Ubuntu:

I just installed Debian from Debian.org.
I must say that the install procedure of Debian From Ubuntu are quite different and unique.

1. Ubuntu it fully graphical where as Debian is only part.

2. Ubuntu has many versions (u/k/x/ed, Ubuntu), where as debian only has one but comes with KDE and GNOME desktops.

3. Ubuntu Installs Everything it needs and leaves it up to you to change drivers & hardware such as nVidia driver.
Debian Actually has a list of drivers for you to choose from for your Graphic cards and pretty much configures everything for you automatically.

4. Debian actually has a "Manual Package" installer where you can choose what you want to install be for you actually install the entire O.S.

I can't speak for everyone that trys to install Debian but I can say that my experiance on installing Debian is that Everything worked out-of-box and I only had one problem with the screen rezolution that I quickly changed.
I am not saying Debian is better then ubuntu, since ubuntu is based off of debian architecture.
I am simply stating my views so far between them both and I think that if Ubuntu used the same install method of debian it might relieve some of the hassle when it comes to some hardware failures such as the nVidia driver, Of course keeping the graphical part since watching a terminal installing everything is kind of boring.

Thank You.

user1397
June 20th, 2006, 11:09 PM
i think this topic belongs more in the cafe than anywhere else...

qamelian
June 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Wish I could agree. I've always liked the idea of Debian, but in 8 years of using Linux, I've never been able to get a fully working Debian install. Considering the goals of the Ubuntu team, I think Ubuntu and all it's variants are right on track. Although Warty gave me some grief, Ubuntu has been my favourite distro since the release of Hoary. To me, it's Debian done right.:)

nitricacid
June 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM
i think this topic belongs more in the cafe than anywhere else...

Cr@P, I was there and then when I went to post something got messed up and when I went to post again it somehow put it here...
My fault for not noticing where it had placed me in the forums..
Sorry gang.
Oh, well. The newbies can read it ;)

aysiu
June 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Debian and Ubuntu are different.

Apparently, nitricacid, Debian's installer suits your needs. It doesn't suit mine.

C'est la vie.

nitricacid
June 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Wish I could agree. I've always liked the idea of Debian, but in 8 years of using Linux, I've never been able to get a fully working Debian install. Considering the goals of the Ubuntu team, I think Ubuntu and all it's variants are right on track. Although Warty gave me some grief, Ubuntu has been my favourite distro since the release of Hoary. To me, it's Debian done right.:)

To each his/her own :D

user1397
June 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
Cr@P, I was there and then when I went to post something got messed up and when I went to post again it somehow put it here...
My fault for not noticing where it had placed me in the forums..
Sorry gang.
Oh, well. The newbies can read it ;)oh ok, no hard feelings