PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Surface crashes during presentation!

Linuxratty
June 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yup, good old Microsoft,never changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg&feature=share

sffvba[e0rt
June 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Poor presenter...

vasa1
June 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Starts around 13:30 and really obvious by 14:10.

BigSilly
June 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Feel sorry for the guy, but hey, stuff crashes. Not the sole domain of Microsoft.

wilee-nilee
June 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Feel sorry for the guy, but hey, stuff crashes. Not the sole domain of Microsoft.

+1 exactly.

smellyman
June 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM

just happens a lot to MS during big announcements though.

3rd time that I know of....

Basher101
June 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
:lolflag:
gold right here

KiwiNZ
June 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Windows 8 is still pre-release, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse OSX etc have issues with pre-release versions. I don't see an issue here.

azangru
June 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't see an issue here.

No issue at all. Just funny :D

Dr. C
June 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Déjà vu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

Erik1984
June 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Windows 8 is still pre-release, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse OSX etc have issues with pre-release versions. I don't see an issue here.

Did anyone say a tablet with Ubuntu can't crash during a presentation? no. It's just funny. I would laugh as well if Ubuntu gets a kernel panic during a presentation (if that makes you feel better) :p

tjeremiah
June 20th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Déjà vu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

:lolflag: @ the first comment:

13 years later:

"That must be why we're not shipping Windows 8 yet"

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 20th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Plus the tablet hardware is still under development. They had a second tablet on stage. They knew it could happen.

:lolflag:

CharlesA
June 20th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Always be prepared! :lol:

Bandit
June 21st, 2012, 12:20 AM
LOL poor guy.. I hope they paid him good..

If MS had that tablet with Win7.. I would consider it. But no way in heck will I touch something with Win8 on it.

zombifier25
June 21st, 2012, 07:41 AM
People keep complaining about Windows 8 because of the GUI. Personally I only care about what's underneath that GUI.

alphacrucis2
June 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
Probably the crash was deliberate to prove it's a genuine MS product.

;)

AllRadioisDead
June 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
LOL poor guy.. I hope they paid him good..

If MS had that tablet with Win7.. I would consider it. But no way in heck will I touch something with Win8 on it.

Windows 8 is optimized for tablets. Windows 7 is not.

I don't understand your logic.

Paqman
June 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM

Me neither. What the heck would you want Win7 on a tablet for? Metro looks like a really good tablet interface TBH.

Metro on a desktop I'm less convinced about, I share the general scepticism about that and the general schizophrenic nature of Win 8 on desktops, but on tablets and phones you shouldn't ever need to leave Metro so it's not an issue.

chamber
June 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM

Windows 7 tablets are unbelievably awful. We have had to trial a few in work. Windows 7 is not meant to be used for touchscreen.

Grenage
June 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM
I don't have much of an issue with W7 no tablets; it's no ipad, but hopefully Metro will change all that.

Poor presenter; makes you wonder why they don't just stick to videos. :)

lz1dsb
June 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
I just read this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg
and I'm wondering, where's UbuntuTV going?

CharlesA
June 21st, 2012, 02:58 PM
Me neither. What the heck would you want Win7 on a tablet for?

I've tried Win7 on an HP Slate2 and the interface was clunky as hell. Having to use the stylus to get a tiny on screen keyboard made it a royal pain to use.

I could see it being used for stuff like price look up and whatnot, but no web browsing, at least not with the Win7 interface.

cariboo
June 21st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Merged two similar threads.

Bandit
June 22nd, 2012, 12:46 AM

I dont understand who the hell would want Win8. I have tried it. Its disgusting excuse for an OS. Win7 isnt greatest in the world, but at least there is some sanity in it.

Me neither. What the heck would you want Win7 on a tablet for? Metro looks like a really good tablet interface TBH.

Metro on a desktop I'm less convinced about, I share the general scepticism about that and the general schizophrenic nature of Win 8 on desktops, but on tablets and phones you shouldn't ever need to leave Metro so it's not an issue.
I hate Metro. Bunch of god awful squares on my desktop. Might as well revert to DOS and install some ASCII/GUI with shortcuts..

I will eat Pig Vomit before I put Win8 on my hardware..

vasa1
June 22nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
Poor presenter; makes you wonder why they don't just stick to videos. :)
If you look carefully, you'll see he tried to ignore that IE was not responding when he tapped/stroked/whatever the screen. Only when it was totally apparent that he couldn't proceed did he change pieces.
But, as they say, it happens to everyone.

What I didn't like is how premature the presentation was and how much uncertainty (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228292/FAQ_What_we_don_t_know_about_Microsoft_s_Surface_t ablet) prevails. It seems that they're sending a message to someone but if the message isn't clear it's a wasted effort.

AllRadioisDead
June 22nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
I dont understand who the hell would want Win8. I have tried it. Its disgusting excuse for an OS. Win7 isnt greatest in the world, but at least there is some sanity in it.

I hate Metro. Bunch of god awful squares on my desktop. Might as well revert to DOS and install some ASCII/GUI with shortcuts..

So, you don't like it. That means it's a disgusting excuse for an OS?

This thread is about the Surface tablet. Suppose you bought one. You would remove the touch friendly Metro interface and revert to clumsily controlling a mouse pointer with your finger?

KiwiNZ
June 22nd, 2012, 05:53 AM

And following that, thread closed.

Refer Code of Conduct....

"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them."