PDA

View Full Version : Need Art Program

LinXNut
June 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone knows what program the guy uses on Digital Blasphemy (http://digitalblasphemy.com/)? I am using Ubuntu on my laptop, and I doubt I can run any hardcore rendering, but still some basic yet cool rendering. Any programs you guys would recommend?

Thanks. :popcorn:

Mr.Dee
June 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Gimp. It runs on my netbook... so it should work on whatever you are using.

snowz
June 25th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Take a look at MyPaint (http://mypaint.intilinux.com/) ;)

buddyd16
June 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Digital Blasphemy is probably using either MAYA or 3D Studio Max plus detail work in Photoshop. To get similar style through Ubuntu you want to look at using a mix of Blender for modeling/rendering and GIMP for detail work.

Zaxy13
July 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
I would agree with using Blender and Gimp. both work well in Ubuntu and can be found in the software center (thought not at the latest version) hope that helps.

tizzicle
July 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Gimp and Inkscape is what I have used in the past on Windows but havent used them on Ubuntu; I will see what there like on it today.
Gimp is a good open source editing package and inkscape is more of a Adobe clone with a better interface.

Dawnbandit
July 31st, 2012, 09:25 PM
Gimp or Pinta, there both good!

houseworkshy
July 31st, 2012, 09:59 PM
"ubuntustudio-video" which is available via synaptic package manager, is a metapackage for video. There are others for other types of media.
+1 to the recomendations for Blender, gimp especially with gimp-gap, which is for animation, and inkscape. You probably can render ( search youtube for "blender" to see vid's of what it can do ). Cinepaint is also good if it will go on your version.
For the more video and less rendering bits cinelerra is superb but only for little bits, under about 15 minets, as it can crash on bigger sections - not that it matters much, unless you are into very long takes, as it is none linear and just opens again where you were. Most of the simpler video editors can stick the final bits together when your done.
None of these programs are zero learning curve as they are mostly proffesional standard but there are many free tutorials online.

ZDroid
August 23rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Gimp or Xara Xtreme, choose is yours ...

houseworkshy
August 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
An aside. I used to duel boot Ubuntu with windows and did a simple test with gimp; generated a small fractal, made it tileable, then rendered a small spinning sphere from that. Identical number of frames and identical size. Gimp rendered very much faster on linux.

ofnuts
August 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone knows what program the guy uses on Digital Blasphemy (http://digitalblasphemy.com/)?
Talent... software is a side issue there.

nerdux
August 24th, 2012, 02:02 PM
An aside. I used to duel boot Ubuntu with windows and did a simple test with gimp; generated a small fractal, made it tileable, then rendered a small spinning sphere from that. Identical number of frames and identical size. Gimp rendered very much faster on linux.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.