PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken keyboard short cuts

hwychld
June 20th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Some of my keyboard shortcuts have stopped working - like ctrl-alt-L to lock the screen. I have tried recreating the shortcut via the keyboard settings but no luck. I have tried changing the shortcut to something else but no luck.

Any ideas how to fix this? What config file holds the keyboard shortcut mappings?

Thanks in advance.

LinXNut
June 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry I'm not sure how to fix this, but I know the keyboard configs are located somewhere in the X11 folder.

/usr/share/X11/xkbAlso I found this site which may help. Link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto:%20Custom%20keyboard%20layout%20definitions)

hwychld
June 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the reply LinXnut. I have looked through those directories and it seems like they are for keyboard layout, and assigning special characters to keys. It seems like what I need would be an abstraction layer (or two) up. I didn't see anything in those files for the keyboard shortcuts. I do appreciate the info, learned a thing or two poking around in there.

Anybody have any idea what config file keyboard shortcuts (like ctrl-alt-L to lock the screen and ctrl-t for a terminal window) are stored in?

LinXNut
June 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Actually another thing you could try is "Gconf-editor"? Type these in a terminal.

$ sudo apt-get install gconf-editorAfter installing, type:

$ gconf-editor &1.) Double click apps.
2.) Go down to "metacity", and double click.
3.) Open "Keybinding_commands"

I have never used this before, but this may help your situation. :popcorn:

hwychld
June 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM
I will give it a shot. I already have the gconf-editor installed but didn't know it had keybinding stuff in it. Thanks again.