PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Authenticity

orion_114
March 15th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Does anyone else think it would be cool if the Ubuntu Discs where shipped with a "Certificate of Authenticity" sticker like the Windows discs ?
I would love to have an Ubuntu sticker on my machine that says something like:

Ubuntu Linux,
Hoary Hedgehog Release
100% Opensource
Please Feel free to copy and distribute this software.

Would it be possible to organise something like this ?

bored2k
March 15th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Does anyone else think it would be cool if the Ubuntu Discs where shipped with a "Certificate of Authenticity" sticker like the Windows discs ?
I would love to have an Ubuntu sticker on my machine that says something like:

Ubuntu Linux,
Hoary Hedgehog Release
100% Opensource

Would it be possible to organise something like this ?
The 100% is a bit *catchy* should it ever happen. People could then argue when downloading a non-free app they were promised 100% freely distribution, when that is not the case , with, par dire, Crossover/Cedega/VMware.

orion_114
March 15th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Good point.
Ok scratch the 100% bit.

Buffalo Soldier
March 15th, 2005, 08:37 AM
orion_114,

I change a bit your original idea, hope you don't mind. How about this?

Ubuntu Linux 4.10
Free / OpenSource Software
Feel free to copy and distribute

bored2k
March 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM
orion_114,

I change a bit your original idea, hope you don't mind. How about this?

Ubuntu Linux 4.10
Free / OpenSource Software
Feel free to copy and distribute
Ubuntu Linux,
Hoary Hedgehog Release

IMO better structured ("Feel free to copy and distribute" --> Distribute what ?) . Also, if a newbie with that disc enters the forums and gets askes "warty or hoary?" what would he answer?

Ok im getting geeky now... back to my happy place (Fight Club people!)

orion_114
March 15th, 2005, 09:27 AM
That could also be a problem. The whole release thing.
You would end up with like 20 stickers on your machine.
Maybe it should just stay straight Ubuntu Linux and not the release version ?

bored2k
March 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM
That could also be a problem. The whole release thing.
You would end up with like 20 stickers on your machine.
Maybe it should just stay straight Ubuntu Linux and not the release version ?
I would ditch the numbers [4,10 - 5.04], this would automatically create even for good users the "why 5.04 ? there's been 5 releases ? and this is the 4th release of this one? whaaat ?" Keep it simple, this is not Mac's short names where you can say OS X 10.4 and still sound cool.

jeremy
March 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM
how about;

UBUNTU
gnu/linux
INSIDE!

orion_114
March 15th, 2005, 02:47 PM
how about;

UBUNTU
gnu/linux
INSIDE!
Lol I like it !!!! Good idea !!! :D

orion_114
March 20th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Just drew up a quick sticker idea .... lemme know what u guys think ...

cdhotfire
March 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
nice idea, maybe something else instead of that d00d, he looks kind of weird. ;)

Burgundavia
March 20th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Just a quick note. It is Ubuntu not Ubuntu Linux or Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The name is like that to avoid the very issue.

Secondly, I like the idea of avoiding specific releases on the sticker. Also means the 5000 you printed last year can still be used.

Corey

TheCondor
March 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Out of pure curiosity, why dont people use the term GNU/Linux ( especially in the distros of corporations or companies such as Canonical or any other ) and just use *distroname* Linux?

TravisNewman
March 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Just a quick note. It is Ubuntu not Ubuntu Linux or Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The name is like that to avoid the very issue.
Well, perhaps they need to change their url then:
ubuntulinux.org
They should also change the frontpage of their wiki that says Ubuntu Linux.
I'm not saying your wrong, just saying if you're right, they need more consistency.

I'd also like to see where you read that, or know who you talked to that told you that. That's the first I'd heard of it.

TravisNewman
March 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Out of pure curiosity, why dont people use the term GNU/Linux ( especially in the distros of corporations or companies such as Canonical or any other ) and just use *distroname* Linux?
Huh? You want people to use the term GNU/Linux, and just use the term *distro* Linux? Don't get it.

cdhotfire
March 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
its fine as it is, but i think that little d00d there doesnt look right. Id probably take off the website, and put sometin like linux for human beings, and instead of the d00d, put a computer, Bluecurve computer icon.

edit: Sometin like this
http://img233.exs.cx/img233/6817/stick8pk.png

i take no credit for this, well maybe a little. 8-)

TravisNewman
March 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM
*shudder*
Bluecurve. Ech.
Ubuntu doesn't even use Bluecurve. While the gnome default computer icon wouldn't work, that HAS to be something better than bluecurve

I don't even think it's necessary to use a computer, or anything, in that space. I mean, the sticker is going onto a real computer, so they'll know that there's a computer involved ;)

I'm all for taking out the "inside" (Intel Inside has gotten so old and trite I don't think it'd help us out). And just making the "Linux for Human Beings" bigger. Or making the logo smaller and the "ubuntu" bigger so that those two things are all that are on the sticker. Simplicity is the key. Something like "this computer uses" above "ubuntu", then get rid of inside.

Just my opinions here.

cdhotfire
March 20th, 2005, 07:56 PM
http://img190.exs.cx/img190/2117/stick8nm.png

???? :-k

Telep
March 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
http://img190.exs.cx/img190/2117/stick8nm.png

???? :-k

"Made for..." implies the computer in question was actually made with Ubuntu in mind, which I doubt is very often the case.

TravisNewman
March 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
There's ONE place I know you can get a computer made for Ubuntu. Theres a guy in the community marketplace here that's making PCs for Ubuntu.

But sending these out with CDs, if that's the intended purpose, that wouldn't work.

Though I DO like where it's going.

cdhotfire
March 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM
http://img208.exs.cx/img208/8647/stick9tp.png

:roll:

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM

Not really. I haved never been impressed with seals of approval (even back in the NES days).

Now a hologram CD would kick ass though.....

orion_114
March 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM
Now a hologram CD would kick ass though.....

Good Idea !!!! I wonder how much a holographic disc would cost to produce tho?

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM
Good Idea !!!! I wonder how much a holographic disc would cost to produce tho?

too much I bet. Oh well, thats what you can do when you have more money than any Emperor of Rome every did.....

kuap
April 1st, 2005, 06:41 AM
I would like to have a sticker with just de logo.. without the ubuntu word...

I like minimalistic logos (one image is better than a thousand words)... it would be like the apple of mac.

jeremy
April 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM

I like minimalistic logos (one image is better than a thousand words)... it would be like the apple of mac.
A lot of PC cases have a 1 inch square place for a manufacturers label, how about a 1x1 sticky-back logo.

ubuntu_demon
April 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM
A lot of PC cases have a 1 inch square place for a manufacturers label, how about a 1x1 sticky-back logo.
good idea!
Would be great if this were shipped together with the cd's :)

Goldenmouse
July 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
its fine as it is, but i think that little d00d there doesnt look right. Id probably take off the website, and put sometin like linux for human beings, and instead of the d00d, put a computer, Bluecurve computer icon.

edit: Sometin like this
http://img233.exs.cx/img233/6817/stick8pk.png

i take no credit for this, well maybe a little. 8-)

Replace the computer icon with the gnome foot and tux? Granted, that could remain whitespace, but adding those two icons in would be informative and not detract in the slightest. Ditch the "inside". Suppose "Linux for human beings" were to be put in as script?

We should probably be asking ourselves what function a sticker serves before designing one. With Wintel, they are almost marks of quality. The validity of that is debateable, but that is the impression that the end user (who knows jack about hardware or software) walks away with. The OS sticker says that the software is high quality, solid, and dependable, whereas the "Designed for..." portion implies that all of the hardware contained inside the computer is fully supported and will work with that operating system. (It also hints that other OS's may not work so well.)

Remember, in marketing, perception is more important than reality. So, the Ubuntu sticker(s), certificate, etc. should convey a sense that this is a mature, professional product. Also, the packaging should help Ubuntu position itself, differentiating it from windows. Saying, "Linux is better" flat out will be met with skepticism, but saying that it is different and hinting that that may be ultimately better for the user could go a long ways. The reason why Lindows, now Linspire, never really took off is the fact that it is marketed as a Windows knock-off, a replacement, not as a product in its own right.

WildTangent
July 13th, 2005, 05:28 PM
you mean like this?

http://longlivemarneus.serveftp.net/Justin/ubuntulogo.bmp

-Wild

Spoofhound
July 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM

I would like to see something like this as well.

Give it a sort of tribal feel - like a tattoo - doesn't need a lot of words.

the "Ubuntu Inside" or Ubuntu For Human Beings" just doesn't do it for me, it feels a bit "me too"