PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Anti Virus Software

MonkWy
June 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Does Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 work well with Kubuntu 12.04? I have tride ClamAv, KlamTk, Avast, AVG Free and several others and have had issues with them. Mostly crashes, freezes and this and that messages about outdated engines and the like. Tried many solutions and none worked. Any advice would be great, about Trend Micro or another propritary anti virus software suite that will work 100% with Kubuntu 12.04. Thanks. I know lots of people say that a person doesn't need anti virus for Ubuntu, that it's very secure, however, I would like to error on the side of caution.

SpongeBob SquarePants
June 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
AVG also do a free anti-virus software...

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-all-product

I used to use it years ago... or rather I installed it and left it there. It didn't do anything, so I never bothered to reinstall it. I've not had a virus in over 10 years.

philinux
June 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Moved to recurring discussions.

Please see all these threads on this subject.

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=86871904

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=86871933

whatthefunk
June 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Does Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 work well with Kubuntu 12.04? I have tride ClamAv, KlamTk, Avast, AVG Free and several others and have had issues with them. Mostly crashes, freezes and this and that messages about outdated engines and the like. Tried many solutions and none worked. Any advice would be great, about Trend Micro or another propritary anti virus software suite that will work 100% with Kubuntu 12.04. Thanks. I know lots of people say that a person doesn't need anti virus for Ubuntu, that it's very secure, however, I would like to error on the side of caution.

You dont really need an anti-virus program. Ive never had one on a linux system and have never had a virus. Youd be much better off tweaking your browser to block certain content and sites and using safe computing practices.

craig10x
June 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
I've been using linux since ubuntu 8.04 came out (check back and see how long ago that was...lol) and the only thing i do is install and turn on "gufw" (enables the firewall in linux) no virus scanners installed and not ONE single virus, malware, trojan or any other of those goodies you get on microsoft's system ;)
And i do a LOT of web surfing...so, don't think you need to worry....

MonkWy
June 21st, 2012, 03:46 AM
Philinux thanks for the info about other posts about this topic. I will check them out. Also to everyone else, thank you very much for the info.

sammiev
June 21st, 2012, 04:23 AM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1992822) is only a few weeks old. I usually spend most of my time view peoples wall papers and backgrounds.

na5h
June 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM
You dont really need an anti-virus program. Ive never had one on a linux system and have never had a virus. Youd be much better off tweaking your browser to block certain content and sites and using safe computing practices.

I agree. However, if you still want an anti-virus program, I think that both Avast and Kaspersky have Linux-version. ClamAV is supposed to be a great free alternative too.

rnahlawi
June 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
I've been using linux since ubuntu 8.04 came out (check back and see how long ago that was...lol) and the only thing i do is install and turn on "gufw" (enables the firewall in linux) no virus scanners installed and not ONE single virus, malware, trojan or any other of those goodies you get on microsoft's system ;)
And i do a LOT of web surfing...so, don't think you need to worry....

I Totally agree .. Linux, and Especially Ubuntu, do not require Anti-Virus. Just Enable your firewall and make sure to keep updating your system with ligitimate source (Ubuntu).

aysiu
June 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Installing "antivirus" software isn't erring on the side of caution.

There are actually a lot of useful things you can do to err on the side of caution. More details in the security sticky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812).

3rdalbum
June 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Don't waste your CPU power and hard disk space, not to mention your RAM, on anti-virus software.

It's an absolute waste. Like giving earmuffs to a deaf person.

However, you mentioned getting an error message about an "outdated engine". This was ClamAV, wasn't it? Don't worry about it. As long as you have the latest virus definitions, it'll pick up every infection that the later engine will. The older engine will still be able to retrieve the latest virus definitions, too.

If you're still worried, why not actually install the later version of ClamAV then? There's probably a PPA or repository around where you can easily keep up-to-date with ClamAV releases.

If you absolutely must waste CPU time, electricity, RAM and hard disk space - it would be better to waste it with a program that's easy to use and doesn't waste quite so much of those above things.

MonkWy
July 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I will continue to lookinto these thing about security, thanks to everyone. I will mark this as solved.