PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why does Transmission-gtk lose data all the time

Acharn
June 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I wasn't sure which forum to use, this or the Absolute Beginner's forum, but I decided to try this one first. I've been using the Transmission fit-torrent program since last year. I'm pretty much satisfied with it, it seems reasonably fast and it's easy to add torrents. The thing is, I've noticed that every few days torrents which I thought were completely downloaded suddenly appear in the "Paused" section. Often they suddenly show up in the "Errors" section, either with "Bad file descriptor" or "Verify local data." Where they were complete, now they show only 87% or 99% complete. It seems to happen to about 20% of the torrents I downloaded.

So I was wondering, is this a regular occurrence with Transmission? Is this a feature? Or should I be reporting a bug? It generally just requires clicking on "Verity local data" or starting the download over, but it's annoying.

3Miro
June 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I have never seen this behavior. What is your HDD arrangement, there may be an issue with storing the files to the partition that you are using due to the filesystem problem or mechanical problem with the HDD.

Acharn
June 21st, 2012, 02:59 AM
Well, let's see. Here's the output from 'df -h':

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 24G 6.2G 16G 28% /
udev 491M 4.0K 491M 1% /dev
tmpfs 201M 884K 200M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 501M 160K 501M 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda3 438G 77G 339G 19% /home

There's also a 5GB swap file in sda1. I save all torrents to various directories in /home, on sda3.

Checking Transmission for the first time thismorning, I find two torrents which were complete yesterday listed in the "Paused" group with messages, "Error: Please verify local data! Piece #xxx is corrupt." The same two torrents are also listed in the "Error" group with the same error messages. Hmmm. Interesting. Yesterday there were about ten in the paused group and four in the error group, all of which were reported as completed before I shut down last night, including these two.

panaut0lordv
June 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM
This is happening to me all the time. Transmission 2.51 (13280) here.

Acharn
June 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Yes, that's the version of Transmission I'm using now, but this is not new. I started using Ubuntu (and Transmission last year in September, and it's always done this. However I was having hard drive failure problems, and then trying to use "persistent sessions" with a USM bemory stick and frequently losing my whole setup. I expected after getting my new hard drive it would stop.

I have found part of the problem. There were some audio torrents I downloaded. I included them in my music library, but was still uploading them. However, a couple of them were lacking ID3 tags, which I entered with EasyTag (a very good program). Apparently Transmission periodically compares the torrent files on my computer with other torrent files and considers any change corruption. Actually that makes sense; it normally should. So I remove those torrents from Transmission now before I edit the tag info. Still doesn't explain what's going on with movie and video files that I don't edit in any way.

Acharn
June 25th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Yes, that's the version of Transmission I'm using now, but this is not new. I started using Ubuntu (and Transmission) last year in September, and it's always done this. However I was having hard drive failure problems, and then trying to use "persistent sessions" with a USM bemory stick and frequently losing my whole setup. I expected after getting my new hard drive it would stop.

I have found the solution to part of the problem. There were some audio torrents I downloaded. I included them in my music library, but was still seeding them. However, a couple of them were lacking ID3 tags, which I entered with EasyTag (a very good program). Apparently Transmission periodically compares the torrent files on my computer with the same torrent on other seeders and considers any change corruption. Actually that makes sense; it normally should. So I remove those torrents from Transmission now before I edit the tag info. Still doesn't explain what's going on with movie and video files that I don't edit in any way.