PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds "Harsh" Words

HansKisaragi
June 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Nvidia decided to respond to this video

http://youtu.be/MShbP3OpASA (49:57 mark)

Below is the NVIDIA PR response.

Supporting Linux is important to NVIDIA, and we understand that there are people who are as passionate about Linux as an open source platform as we are passionate about delivering an awesome GPU experience.

Recently, there have been some questions raised about our lack of support for our Optimus notebook technology. When we launched our Optimus notebook technology, it was with support for Windows 7 only. The open source community rallied to work around this with support from the Bumblebee Open Source Project http://bumblebee-project.org/. And as a result, we've recently made Installer and readme changes in our R295 drivers that were designed to make interaction with Bumblebee easier.

While we understand that some people would prefer us to provide detailed documentation on all of our GPU internals, or be more active in Linux kernel community development discussions, we have made a decision to support Linux on our GPUs by leveraging NVIDIA common code, rather than the Linux common infrastructure. While this may not please everyone, it does allow us to provide the most consistent GPU experience to our customers, regardless of platform or operating system.

As a result:

1) Linux end users benefit from same-day support for new GPUs , OpenGL version and extension parity between NVIDIA Windows and NVIDIA Linux support, and OpenGL performance parity between NVIDIA Windows and NVIDIA Linux.

2) We support a wide variety of GPUs on Linux, including our latest GeForce, Quadro, and Tesla-class GPUs, for both desktop and notebook platforms. Our drivers for these platforms are updated regularly, with seven updates released so far this year for Linux alone. The latest Linux drivers can be downloaded from www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html.

3) We are a very active participant in the ARM Linux kernel. For the latest 3.4 ARM kernel – the next-gen kernel to be used on future Linux, Android, and Chrome distributions – NVIDIA ranks second in terms of total lines changed and fourth in terms of number of changesets for all employers or organizations.

At the end of the day, providing a consistent GPU experience

Source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEyMjk

smellyman
June 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, the open source community did rally to try and support it, but we still say

.....good luck and you're on your own....

Metallion
June 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hey at least they let the open source community do what they do. Enough other companies would be against it altogether.

mastablasta
June 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
While this may not please everyone, it does allow us to provide the most consistent GPU experience to our customers, regardless of platform or operating system.

most consistant GPU experience? so the Optimus experience is same in Linux and Windows?

We support a wide variety of GPUs on Linux, including our latest GeForce, Quadro, and Tesla-class GPUs, for both desktop and notebook platforms.

How many of the mentioned systems are being sold in notebooks? as i see here in price range from 400-1000EUR laptops with nvidia have optimus. they effectivelly locked out linux on nvidia on laptops. just because someone reverse engineered an option doesn't mean it is a good option.

besides i don't think the F word was directed at them only because of Optimus.

AllRadioisDead
June 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
What a joke.

alphacrucis2
June 20th, 2012, 11:57 AM
most consistant GPU experience? so the Optimus experience is same in Linux and Windows?

How many of the mentioned systems are being sold in notebooks? as i see here in price range from 400-1000EUR laptops with nvidia have optimus. they effectivelly locked out linux on nvidia on laptops. just because someone reverse engineered an option doesn't mean it is a good option.

besides i don't think the F word was directed at them only because of Optimus.

First thing I did on my Lenovo laptop was disable Optimus in the bios. I dual boot and Windows is also better with Optimus disabled.

mastablasta
June 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
yah but as i know not all notebooks have this disable option.

so if optimus is disabled what GPU is then used? intel?

Lightstar
June 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I always think positive reinforcement is better than negative comments.

If my name was nVidia and someone told me 'F you' I'd most likely do my best to never be close to that person again.

On a good note, Unity game engine version 4 will have native linux support which might help linux get some more games.

azangru
June 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
If my name was nVidia and someone told me 'F you' I'd most likely do my best to never be close to that person again.

Yeah, but if you F-ed that someone time and time again, wouldn't you feel that the "F you" is deserved? :)

Warpnow
June 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM

In this case, though, the person saying it is also the inventor/developer of the parent technology of android, which is something they are planning to use to build their business and make billions of dollars. Nvidia has heavily backed android. If i were nvidia, and i was planning on making billions of dollars off of a technology, i'd listen real close when the developer is pissed off.

alexfish
June 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
At the end of the day, providing a consistent GPU experience

consistent

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/consistent

fatality_uk
June 21st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Don't know if this expression translates to all the users in this forum!
Cutting your nose off to spite your face

If Linux's market share was 15-20%, TRUST me, they would be ALL OVER any issues and have drivers ready for shipping month before they hit the shelves.

Despite having many, many technical advantages over other OS's, Linux has singularly failed to grab sufficient market share by making the right deals with the right box makers and quite frankly, the right desktop.

Linux feels a bit "Cosa Nostra". It could be so much more!

mastablasta
June 22nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
well they did grab it in smart phones and a bit in tablet market, but not desktop. and even those two they use modified kernel.

zombifier25
June 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
well they did grab it in smart phones and a bit in tablet market, but not desktop. and even those two they use modified kernel.

Android's kernel has merged with Linux's some time ago.

Carborundum
June 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Android's kernel has merged with Linux's some time ago.
Hardly. The merging process began with kernel 3.3, and is expected to take four to five years to complete.

Lucradia
June 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
It's too bad AMD still sucks for driver support >_>