PDA

View Full Version : What does Linux mean to you?

ExSuSEusr
June 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I have a question for you..... what does Linux... the concept.... not just the OS mean to you?

Part of the reason I hate MS so much is for what [they] represent. For what they are.

Linux to me isn't just an operating system that allows me to manipulate my hardware for specific results. Maybe for some of you that's it. It's free and you don't have to pay for it - or any of the applications you use. I suppose that's fine.

But for me, Linux is so much more. It's a movement. It's a way for all people, regardless of race, religion, creed, nationality, background to communicate, to contribute, to learn, to grow - without being subjected to the financial racism of a Microsoft. Maybe racism isn't the right word - I find it hard to articulate my point.

I understand that we use Linux to pay bills, check email, do work, and escape from reality with our favorite game. But, take a moment to think about what you have experienced.

Just by using this particular forum - the cafe - you have met people from all around the globe. People you would never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. All in the same place with a common belief, with a common goal, with a common mindset.

Maybe I'm being a bit too altruistic - but if you take a moment to consider what we have here. It really so much more than just an OS.

So, give us all an honest answer. What does LINUX mean to you? Why are you a part of our community?

For me, LINUX whether Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, SuSE... it truly represents.... it's so much more than an operating system.

mastablasta
June 20th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I It's a movement. It's a way for all people, regardless of race, religion, creed, nationality, background to communicate, to contribute, to learn, to grow - without being subjected to the financial racism of a Microsoft. Maybe racism isn't the right word - I find it hard to articulate my point.

i find it hard to understand your point. Windows price varries quite a bit. You think Cannonical doesn't charge for it's services?

I understand that we use Linux to pay bills, check email, do work, and escape from reality with our favorite game. But, take a moment to think about what you have experienced.

i can check e-mail and browse internet with it. but that's about it. it also use it on the server. i really can't do work on it and can't play my favourite games on it.

ExSuSEusr
June 20th, 2012, 07:11 AM
wow you so missed the point. I guess for you it is nothing more than just a way to manipulate your hardware.

I don't care what you use Ubuntu / Mint / Slackware / DSL / Puppy for.... I want to know if you think Linux as a movement means anything more - by what it represents - than just an operating system.

Shadius
June 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I share your view of Linux being more than an OS. It's part of the reason why I've switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. One of the things that attracted me to even try Ubuntu Linux was reading about the philosophy behind it. I used to be so lost in my computer, not knowing anything about what in the world is a Terminal, how to install packages/programs..etc, but this Ubuntu Community has helped in guiding me. Now I'm not so lost! :lolflag: I wish my first computer was a Linux computer rather than a Windows. When comparing it to Windows, Linux has taught me more in weeks than Windows has taught me in the years that I've been using it. I hope to keep learning Linux!

catlover2
June 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM
wow you so missed the point. I guess for you it is nothing more than just a way to manipulate your hardware.

Just because you asked "What does Linux mean to you?" doesn't mean that you're going to get the answer you wanted. ;)

As for the rest of it, yes, I generally agree with your original post. The whole philosophy behind free software is probably about equal to me as the technical advantages of Linux.

-catlover2

KiwiNZ
June 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
A computer Operating System, nothing more nothing less

AllRadioisDead
June 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Well said.

kalkems
June 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Linux to me isn't just an operating system that allows me to manipulate my hardware for specific results. Maybe for some of you that's it. It's free and you don't have to pay for it - or any of the applications you use. I suppose that's fine.

But for me, Linux is so much more. It's a movement. It's a way for all people, regardless of race, religion, creed, nationality, background to communicate, to contribute, to learn, to grow - without being subjected to the financial racism of a Microsoft. Maybe racism isn't the right word - I find it hard to articulate my point.

Just by using this particular forum - the cafe - you have met people from all around the globe. People you would never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. All in the same place with a common belief, with a common goal, with a common mindset.

The community aspect is important for me as it coincides with the philosophy that my work place has and, therefore, was the reason for our partial migration to Ubuntu.

I work at, what we call in Sweden, a Folk High School (FHS). The philosophy behind a FHS is that everyone has knowledge that is unique to him/her and that we all have a responsibility to educate each other, a kind of "all for one and one for all idea". This means that in a class situation we let students teach the rest of us within their specific area of "expertise".

I see this clearly in the Xhosa word ubuntu and hope that that is the philosophy that is maintained and encouraged in this forum.

Of course when money becomes an issue lock downs are inevitable. My experience with Canonical as a support partner showed that even in a business situation they retain this philosophy of spreading knowlegde.

Brimwylf
June 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
+1, word by word.

As an addendum, "hate" is such a strong word. I do not hate Microsoft. I actually need Windows to do my work because I use software that was not designed for Linux. Why would I hate Microsoft because Adobe doesn't like Linux?

HansKisaragi
June 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Freedom.. Freedom to do what I want with my OS..

Metallion
June 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I kinda like how nobody's trying to duck under my radar and install spyware or weird toolbars. For example if I install a gfx driver in a Linux distro I get the driver and nothing else. In Windows I have to uncheck a million boxes for software that I don't want and will probably get a control center full of bells, whistles and a lawn mower. With Apple I have no experience.

I also like how it's so customizable, robust and light weight. There's a lot of maintenance to be done but for a tech guy like me, that's alright.

I don't really follow the whole movement thing although I guess you kinda could classify my first paragraph here under it if you wanted to.

yeehi
June 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
To me, Linux doesn't mean freedom. It means only open source. Linux to me means binary-blobs and proprietary software. Linux-libre means freedom and a social movement, a conviction and a way of life.

Most distros of Linux are not free, as in freedom, Ubuntu included.

A list of GNU/Linux distros that actually are free and use free software can be found on the Free Software Foundation website (http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html).

If you want to try one of the free distros listed in the above link, I highly recommend Trisquel. It is based on Ubuntu but only uses free software.

Face-Ache
June 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM

That was my initial sentiment also.

I love the open source concept, and whilst Canonical charge for their services, they don't personally charge me for the operating system or any of the programs that i use for that operating system. I genuinely appreciate that.

I don't do any PC gaming, so echoing what Metallion has said, i like not having to worry about anti-virus, malware scanners, accidentally installing something i shouldn't that then becomes a nightmare to get rid of, etc.

I've also been able to customise the look of my Ubuntu install to a considerably greater degree than i ever seemingly could with Windows. Being able to personalise my system really makes it feel like it's mine, and i guess i like that level of individuality, even if it's just my perception rather than reality (although don't they say that perception is reality?!? :D )

pissedoffdude
June 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Exactly. Freedom in both the practical and technical sense. In the practical sense, I can choose what software I want on my computer, meaning I can start off with the basics and work my way up to the gui, experimenting with various desktop environments, etc

And in the technical sense, I'm allowed to modify any existing code so as to create my own program.

germanix
June 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Linux to me is just like a box of Lego building blocks. You can have it in any shape, form or color. You can build whatever you want from it, then break it down again and build something else. You can add, subtract and change it to your hearts desire. It is both a tool and a toy, to be used for work or play. It is a really cool product, developed by really cool people for really cool users. It is exciting, it is fun, it is simply just wonderful.

JDShu
June 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I think that Linux is proof that an open source ecosystem works and can become a major market player in today's capitalist society. This is significant, and what makes Linux more than just a piece of software to me, while at the same time not a statement against the perceived evils of Microsoft/Apple.

Phrea
June 20th, 2012, 11:40 PM
It's an OS I chose.
I could've chosen any other OS, but this one suited me best.
That's what Linux means to me.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
To me, Linux is a kernel. It is useless to most home computer users until a windows manager, a desktop environment, and applications a added on top of it.

Dr. C
June 21st, 2012, 01:43 AM
to me, linux is a kernel. It is useless to most home computer users until a windows manager, a desktop environment, and applications a added on top of it.

+1

zombifier25
June 21st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Linux = your software must be free (in freedom), or we won't use it.

Seriously, it's impossible to do on Windows what you can on Linux without coughing up 100$+.

spynappels
June 21st, 2012, 08:44 AM
To me it is a way of getting things done in the best way possible for me. This means I'm more interested in the free-as-in-beer and opensource aspects and the stability than in the RMS/FSF definition of free/freedom.

But above all, I like playing, changing tweaking, breaking and fixing things, and Linux lets me do that while learning about cool technologies.

Tombgeek
June 21st, 2012, 01:14 PM
To be honest, Ubuntu and Linux doesn't mean that much to me. It's an OS that allows me to get work done.

The open-source movement is great and all, but it's can really become silly sometimes (such as this hatred for proprietary software; futile bickering over desktop environments, distros, etc). For me, I use what works well and sometimes Linux and FOSS just doesn't cut it. That's why I use Windows and Linux and if it comes to a time where Microsoft doesn't suit my needs, I'll use Mac and Linux. I'm kinda like Nixie Pixel in a way. ;)

Dlambert
June 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
A philosophy. That is what Linux is to me.

Gone fishing
June 22nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
I agree with kiwiNZ Linux is just another operating system no more no less, in the same way the democracy is just another way of running a country no more no less.

zombifier25
June 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
The open-source movement is great and all, but it's can really become silly sometimes (such as this hatred for proprietary software; futile bickering over desktop environments, distros, etc). For me, I use what works well and sometimes Linux and FOSS just doesn't cut it. That's why I use Windows and Linux and if it comes to a time where Microsoft doesn't suit my needs, I'll use Mac and Linux. I'm kinda like Nixie Pixel in a way. ;)

Not all Linux users are GNU extremeist. Most of us agree that we use what works for us.

And I agree about the constant flamebate between users about their favorite DEs, distros, etc. I found a quote like this on this forum some time ago (I forgot who, so if you came up with it, post here and you'll receive full credit)

Different desktop environments are like different flavour of beers; some like light beers, others prefer black beers, but let's not forget in the end we're all having fun.

Mikeb85
June 22nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
To me Linux represents an interesting business model, as many of the world's largest and richest corporations use it, contribute to it, and it powers so much of our world (the 'Cloud', embedded systems, websites, social networks, etc...).

On a basic level, I like it as an operating system, it's fast, stable, and I know it will always be around, I'll never have to worry about finding a new ecosystem. I like some aspects of the open source model, it presents the idea of software as more of a service or enabling technology rather than an end product.

While I'm not into the idealist 'software freedom' movement, I do think Linux embodies the capitalist and free market spirit. Linux isn't successful because it's free, it's successful because it enables people to do work, create, it's a tool, to which people contribute back and we all benefit. Linux also embodies the purest form of competition - different distros, companies, etc... compete against each other, with all their cards on the table for all to see.

mike acker
June 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I agree with kiwiNZ Linux is just another operating system no more no less, in the same way the democracy is just another way of running a country no more no less.

I would disagree with this, noting that it is important to understand how an O/S protects itself from tampering,-- or exposes itself.

I recently came across this article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/ (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/)

the reference is a little dated but very insightful

when the kids brought me back their older XP computer again for service I determined to put Ubuntu on it and start learning about Ubuntu.

I found the Ubuntu distribution delightful; very well done. Yes, it takes a bit of poking about to find the right buttons, but it's not really hard.

Their old computer is a single cpu 768M box; not really suitable for my preferences, so I have started a Computer Build Project

as an Old, Retired, Fellow (ORF) I can get away with this, particularly as I need stuff to play with. Speaking of which, this forum is very nicely done!!

Gone fishing
June 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
mike acker interesting (if a little old) article, of course some of the article could be applied to other Unix like operating systems (and MS has improved security with Vista and 7 etc). However, I think Linux is special, and some of its success is related to being open-source and GPL. Which I believe encourages an open development model, somewhat like how science develops with the peer review system. I'm not a GPL freedom extremist, but ideas. openness and empowering users is important in developing better systems.

However, as you are in a tinkering mood why not also have a play with FreeBSD and see how you think it compares with Linux and Ubuntu.

weasel fierce
June 24th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Trust and freedom.

I feel I can trust my own computer, if something goes awry, I can usually trace it to something I did, and I feel I have the freedom to do with it what I will.

Not much of that in the general consumer world.

forrestcupp
June 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I don't give a rat's backside about being committed to the Free Software philosophy, other than the fact that I get a lot of great software free of charge, and it takes people believing in that philosophy for me to get that. I also agree that operating systems are tools, and that they aren't worth getting worked up about, unless they're not doing the job you need them to do.

But I'll have to say that Linux is more to me than just an operating system, nothing more nothing less. Without Linux, I never would have met a good group of people on these forums that have so deep a like interest. I've been on many Windows forums and have never found the camaraderie that you find here. Without Linux, I would never have had that, and built relationships with people around the world, giving me a different perspective on life. Also, using Linux over the years has given me a wider variety of the possibilities of technology.

With Windows, you have a tool that is very usable. But with Linux, you can actually take ownership. There's a certain thing about Linux that I haven't felt since my C64 days (although not as great as my feelings for the C64). I totally agree that it's just a tool. But I like my jigsaw and chop saw a lot more than my flathead screw driver. Linux is one of my favorite tools. ;)

alexfish
June 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I don't give a rat's backside about being committed to the Free Software philosophy, other than the fact that I get a lot of great software free of charge, and it takes people believing in that philosophy for me to get that. I also agree that operating systems are tools, and that they aren't worth getting worked up about, unless they're not doing the job you need them to do.

But I'll have to say that Linux is more to me than just an operating system, nothing more nothing less. Without Linux, I never would have met a good group of people on these forums that have so deep a like interest. I've been on many Windows forums and have never found the camaraderie that you find here. Without Linux, I would never have had that, and built relationships with people around the world, giving me a different perspective on life. Also, using Linux over the years has given me a wider variety of the possibilities of technology.

With Windows, you have a tool that is very usable. But with Linux, you can actually take ownership. There's a certain thing about Linux that I haven't felt since my C64 days (although not as great as my feelings for the C64). I totally agree that it's just a tool. But I like my jigsaw and chop saw a lot more than my flathead screw driver. Linux is one of my favorite tools. ;)

Seems to bring back some memories ;)

psyclechick
June 25th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Linux means I can breath new life into my old netbook since Windows bores me...thats about it.

Not into philosophy, rights, and all the other bla bla and I am happy to buy proprietry software on whatever device I 'compute' with ;-)

Its fun, and a challenge and its taugt me a bit more about how computers work, other than that its just a means to an end that I started using because I found Windows boring, thats all.

mike acker
June 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
mike acker interesting (if a little old) article, of course some of the article could be applied to other Unix like operating systems (and MS has improved security with Vista and 7 etc). However, I think Linux is special, and some of its success is related to being open-source and GPL. Which I believe encourages an open development model, somewhat like how science develops with the peer review system. I'm not a GPL freedom extremist, but ideas. openness and empowering users is important in developing better systems.

However, as you are in a tinkering mood why not also have a play with FreeBSD and see how you think it compares with Linux and Ubuntu.

thanks for the note ;)

I only just got my first Linux running! still I'm looking forward to a little regular chat here on the forum -- which is very well done!!

as I mentioned, the box I have to play with is an old Dell 4550 that I rebuilt for the kids with a new hard-drive and memory. this time when they brought it back all clogged up I re-formatted the hard drives and installed Ubuntu

so I have only just now started looking at the differences. Windows and Linux have entirely different roots and I thought the article I referenced was a good introduction to that topic

as I see it Windows faces two horrible problems. First, the RPC mechanism is vulnerable, particularly compared to Linux' use of "Userland". Second Windows implemented virtual memory but not storage protection and this seems to be related to their hardware abstraction layer (HAL). Reference: Rootkit Arsenal

I started fighting computer virus about 1990 when boot sector virus programs such as Stoned and the Pakistani Brain were all the latest. We stopped those by simply changing the BIOS so it didn't boot from the A: drive. that lesson remains valid today: we prevent virus infections by blocking the paths they use to enter our systems

Bruce Schneier has noted that "complexity is the enemy of security". It's an astute observation of course: the more hallways you have the more doors there are to check.

Artemis3
June 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Actually, Linux is only the kernel. As others said, you need additional components to have the entire thing. Distros usually take care of that...

Or do you mean the Free Software philosophy? Or the fact that there are alternatives?

Distros that include Linux would be more correct, but people are lazy and call Linux the whole thing, but in reality this is highly inaccurate. You would have to name every single package in the distro to be correct ^_^!

Sure, Linux is usually bundled with gnu... and xorg, and.. etc, etc.

If you look at other projects, such as Freebsd, it is simpler to understand. In theory Gnu should become the same, but for a couple of decades it has used Linux instead of their own kernel.

Then it could also be more accurate to use the distro name instead. "You run Ubuntu", that should imply Linux, and Gnu, and Xorg, and Gnome, etc.

But there are distros like Debian that may even not include linux...

I just say Free Software to be done with it.

When someone says Windows, it is implying a number of Microsoft packages including their kernel and graphic user interface (shell), services, etc.

What we use here is a free software os made of many components with many different names, and there is no single correct name to refer to it. Traditionally people use "Linux" because Linux is included, but linux alone doesn't do much.

There is so much freedom here that you can cherry pick which parts you want, and even replace essential parts (like Linux with kFreebsd) and still have a working free os.

Freebsd is a project for an operating system distribution (thats the D at the end). So when you refer to it, you are actually naming a distro and os (because their kernel has no distinct name). Freebsd doesn't use gnu but have their own equivalents for OS libraries and essential programs, also not named separately but seen as part of the distro/os. They do, however include common free software such as Xorg, gnome, etc.

Confused yet?

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Actually, Linux is only the kernel. As others said, you need additional components to have the entire thing. Distros usually take care of that...
We all know that, but most of us don't care. It's a lot easier to say Linux than it is to give all important parties some of the credit and say, "I use
GNU/Xorg/Gnome/Pulse/Compiz/Unity/Linux."

I think it's generally understood that if you say Linux, you're usually talking about the OS, and if you want to talk specifically about the kernel, you would call it the Linux Kernel. There are so many different distros out there that I don't see anything wrong with unifying the general Linux-based OS by calling it Linux.

spynappels
June 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
But there are distros like Debian that may even not include linux...

Huh? Care to explain?

Artemis3
June 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Huh? Care to explain?

Debian kfreebsd and hurd editions don't use linux.

Artemis3
June 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
We all know that, but most of us don't care. It's a lot easier to say Linux

I explained the same, but that doesn't mean its correct at all. Linux is the name of the kernel, anything else is informal, and even inaccurate (Gave examples of Distros without linux).

There is no linux in Freebsd, and there is no linux in Arch Hurd, yet end users might not notice any difference, as they use most of the other components the same, same Xorg, same kde/xfce, whatever.

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I explained the same, but that doesn't mean its correct at all. Linux is the name of the kernel, anything else is informal, and even inaccurate (Gave examples of Distros without linux).

There is no linux in Freebsd, and there is no linux in Arch Hurd, yet end users might not notice any difference, as they use most of the other components the same, same Xorg, same kde/xfce, whatever.

Which is exactly why we informally call it Linux. I don't want people thinking I'm using a BSD or the HURD; I want them to know I'm using Linux. So if I'm using a distro with the Linux Kernel, then it's not inaccurate.

And it's ok to be informal and not feel like you have to give everyone all of your details. If someone informally asks me what kind of computer I use, they usually don't want me spouting off all of my hardware specs and explaining all of the intricate details about all of the pieces that work together to create my operating system and all of the software it runs. I can usually just tell them I have a laptop running Linux, and they know what I'm talking about and that's enough.

Besides, you have to realize that it's possible to run a complete Linux system with almost no GNU components at all. The Linux kernel is not part of the GNU Project, and neither are a lot of the key parts of our OS. If it's not already possible, soon it will be possible to even compile everything using a compiler other than GCC. So in that case, it would be inaccurate to call it GNU/Linux.

If I said "I use Linux" and everyone automatically thought that's weird because Linux is just a kernel, then you would have a point. But anyone who has heard of Linux understands what you're talking about when you say you use Linux.

Tombgeek
June 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM

As far as the tech industry is concerned, Linux is Linux. "GNU/Linux" is a stupid name anyway. We're better off just creating another name.

The only people who really object to Linux being called "Linux" are RMS (but, let's be honest, who really cares what he says?) and l33t Linux nerds (who are probably running Gentoo or something because Ubuntu is too easy). Whether it's correct or not, nobody really cares.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Whether it's correct or not, nobody really cares.

The trouble with people who "dont care" about whether something is correct or not, is they always say incorrect things.

I prefer to be pedantic and sound condescending than i would be incorrect (of which i am guilty of often, both condescension and incorrect ;-)

Paqman
June 26th, 2012, 10:54 PM
The trouble with people who "dont care" about whether something is correct or not, is they always say incorrect things.

I prefer to be pedantic and sound condescending than i would be incorrect (of which i am guilty of often, both condescension and incorrect ;-)

I refer you to the strapline under my user name.

The point of communication is to bring about mutual understanding. If both parties understand what is being said, there's no need for anything to be clarified.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I refer you to the strapline under my user name.

The point of communication is to bring about mutual understanding. If both parties understand what is being said, there's no need for anything to be clarified.

If you read back through there were some posts from people asking to explain.

Hence clarification needed, as mutual understanding was obviously not attending this communication ;-)

ExSuSEusr
June 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Which is exactly why we informally call it Linux. I don't want people thinking I'm using a BSD or the HURD; I want them to know I'm using Linux. So if I'm using a distro with the Linux Kernel, then it's not inaccurate.

And it's ok to be informal and not feel like you have to give everyone all of your details. If someone informally asks me what kind of computer I use, they usually don't want me spouting off all of my hardware specs and explaining all of the intricate details about all of the pieces that work together to create my operating system and all of the software it runs. I can usually just tell them I have a laptop running Linux, and they know what I'm talking about and that's enough.

Besides, you have to realize that it's possible to run a complete Linux system with almost no GNU components at all. The Linux kernel is not part of the GNU Project, and neither are a lot of the key parts of our OS. If it's not already possible, soon it will be possible to even compile everything using a compiler other than GCC. So in that case, it would be inaccurate to call it GNU/Linux.

If I said "I use Linux" and everyone automatically thought that's weird because Linux is just a kernel, then you would have a point. But anyone who has heard of Linux understands what you're talking about when you say you use Linux.

Excellent! Very well said. Some people just want to argue for the sake of arguing. If I can called it "Ubuntu with x.x kernel with Unity... bla bla bal" Artme would be here telling us that we shouldn't be so technical to cause confusion. Again, some people are bored and need something to "debate" or to prove to everyone else how "smart" they are.

I am quite sure that 90% of the board's population knows that when we say "Linux" we're more than likely referring to the complete OS - we all know that it takes individual components brought together to make an OS. It's understood.

A "Distro" is "Linux" to general population and more than likely the bulk of it's users. When someone asks me what types of computers I use - I too just say "Laptop with Linux" - why? Because chances are they are a Windows user... and chances are they aren't going to know what the hell Gentoo is, or what Ubuntu is, or what Mint is... But chances are good that they are going to know what "Linux" is - to some extent.

Now if they want to know more - then sure then I get more specific and state that it's Ubuntu 12.04 with compiz, et al...

EDIT -- I actually have a real life story here. I took my laptop into work today. One of my co-workers was complaining that his old laptop was running slow and didn't know what to do with it. I asked to come to my desk to show him something. I fired up the laptop and after it booted he said (and I qoute) "hey that's sweet! What is that?" I said "Ubuntu" - He said "what?" - I said "Linux" - He said "ahhh ok yeah very cool! I didn't know linux was point click!" -- I gave him the link to download and explained a little how to install - we'll see if he does it. Point here is he had no idea what Ubuntu was - soon as I said "Linux" the lightbulb went off. True story, swear on my grave.

Now stop hijacking my thread and get back on topic :guitar:

Paqman
June 26th, 2012, 11:30 PM
If you read back through there were some posts from people asking to explain.

Hence clarification needed, as mutual understanding was obviously not attending this communication ;-)

I know, I wasn't really picking on you specifically. I just find the whole recurring naming argument a bit pointless.

haqking
June 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I know, I wasn't really picking on you specifically. I just find the whole recurring naming argument a bit pointless.

ha ha no worries, me too ironically.

I just call it linux or *nix when not Linux kernel based, i was just butting in to be pedantic ;-)

forrestcupp
June 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

I prefer to be pedantic and sound condescending than i would be incorrect (of which i am guilty of often, both condescension and incorrect ;-)The problem is that GNU/Linux isn't necessarily correct, either.

ha ha no worries, me too ironically.

I just call it linux or *nix when not Linux kernel based, i was just butting in to be pedantic ;-)
Troublemaker! :)

haqking
June 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
The problem is that GNU/Linux isn't necessarily correct, either.

Troublemaker! :)

It's what i live for, well that and tiny pickles.

Peace

vazduxosbra4kania
June 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM

Agreed! You see Ubuntu for what it actually is!

vazduxosbra4kania
June 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM

What is an exmaple of the freedom you are refering to?

ratcheer
June 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM

I agree. Also, the freedom to use my machines in the way I see fit. Many people see Richard Stallman as some kind of a nut case, but he is right.

Tim

ratcheer
June 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
What is an exmaple of the freedom you are refering to?

Freedom from things such as secure boot, with Microsoft selling a license to a key to allow me to install the OS of my choice on my own PC.

Tim

mike acker
June 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
(1) Escape from a Bad Business Model

I look at the IT business today and wonder about the business model. it is clearly not in the interest of the consumer or end user. Their entire model seems to be driven by negative motivators.

OTH the OSF concept is all about building that better mousetrap that we may all benefit from it. I'm retired now so I no longer write software -- I don't have the stamina to work those 36 hour efforts now --

but I love to use this software. and perhaps contribute some comments along the way

it's All Good

ps-- I have 11 posts now what do i need to get my first bean? my profile shows 0,-- whats up with that?

haqking
June 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
(1) Escape from a Bad Business Model

I look at the IT business today and wonder about the business model. it is clearly not in the interest of the consumer or end user. Their entire model seems to be driven by negative motivators.

OTH the OSF concept is all about building that better mousetrap that we may all benefit from it. I'm retired now so I no longer write software -- I don't have the stamina to work those 36 hour efforts now --

but I love to use this software. and perhaps contribute some comments along the way

it's All Good

I am pretty sure businesses are in business for the money and not the consumer.

Charities are what you are looking for ;-)

Peace

mike acker
June 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I am pretty sure businesses are in business for the money and not the consumer.

Peace

Yes: and that will always be the case.

In a Free Market competition forces quality and customer service up and price down. When monopolies form they are able to reverse this, and when sanctioned (fascism) actually mandate the purchase of shody products.

haqking
June 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yes: and that will always be the case.

In a Free Market competition forces quality and customer service up and price down. When monopolies form they are able to reverse this, and when sanctioned (fascism) actually mandate the purchase of shody products.

If you've got it, get more !

But i am a nihilist, or at least until i win the lottery