PDA

View Full Version : The role of the Community Cafe

vasa1
June 20th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I agree with this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12039592&postcount=61) that "I would have the community cafe removed from this site period."

A reading of the following excerpt from the Code of Conduct gives me the impression that the primary purpose of ubuntuforums.org is support: "The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company." .

Because of various forum limitations, I too feel that support requires a forum of its own.

If, as hoped, the number of users of Ubuntu grows, one would expects posts, both support and the other type, to increase.

Currently, those seeking support have to wade through a bewildering amount of non-support material. Yes, I know that Google search exists and that the forum has a search function.

Requests for support can be quickly pushed off the top 250 "new posts" especially during peak hours and people may have to resort to bumping.

I don't know whether it's possible to know the rough ratio of support to non-support posts, but I'd suspect that there are sufficient of each type to justify a bifurcation into two forums.

ExSuSEusr
June 20th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Yeah... ahhhh.... no.

Here's the deal - if you don't like what's being talked about in the cafe - guess what? You don't have to click on it!

There is more to a "community" than ask and answer. It's about sharing stupid jokes, asking advice on non-tech related issues, hell even... omg... making a few new friends... what a terrible concept (please note the sarcasm there).

"Linux" is more than just an operating system. If you don't understand what I mean, I can't help you.

This site is perfect the way it is. It has different areas that are specific to questions and answers for Ubuntu related problems. It also has this particular section where "we" as a community of Linux / Ubuntu users can let our proverbial hair down and enjoy different conversation topics for the very reasons I listed above.

I would suspect that the cafe would be quite an attraction to a non-Linux user. For them to see and realize that we're not 40 year old men living in our mother's basements playing World of Warcraft in our underwear eating Hotpockets and..... I would think THIS section of the forum would be a welcome site - that not only can they get answers to the questions they have in other sections of the forum, but they can come here to cut loose and become a member of like-minded group.

If you're THAT offended by a section of a message board that you don't have to click on? May I suggest Slackware... well no.... those guys are nuts.... how about....SuSe? Nice and proper and business like???

I am really amazed that people are actually that obsessed about one section of a message board.

And what in the world are you talking about - when you say that new users have to "wade through hundreds of post??" Really? Come on man.... when a user comes to this site the very top links are dedicated to NEWBIES. You have to scroll down to the very bottom of the page to get to the cafe.... what in the world are you talking about?

cariboo
June 20th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I'd suggest that the majority of our members don't even realize the Cafe exists. Personally I was a member for 2 years, before I started regularly checking out the Cafe, and that was more because I became a staff member, than anything else.

The Cafe serves as a place that our forum community members can socialize, and blow off a bit of steam. It's is a far nicer nicer place now than it was in previous years, and in a way I kind of miss the wild and woolly past, but on the other had, we the staff don't spend half as much time moderating as we did previously.

The Cafe has it's place in the forum, and as far as I'm concerned it will stay as part of the forum.

Elfy
June 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'd suggest that the majority of our members don't even realize the Cafe exists. Personally I was a member for 2 years, before I started regularly checking out the Cafe, and that was more because I became a staff member, than anything else.

The Cafe serves as a place that our forum community members can socialize, and blow off a bit of steam. It's is a far nicer nicer place now than it was in previous years, and in a way I kind of miss the wild and woolly past, but on the other had, we the staff don't spend half as much time moderating as we did previously.

The Cafe has it's place in the forum, and as far as I'm concerned it will stay as part of the forum.

Sum's it up for me too.

AllRadioisDead
June 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Agreed.

haqking
June 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
There's a cafe ? ;-)

KiwiNZ
June 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
It's a Wolf Den

lisati
June 20th, 2012, 09:07 AM
It's a Wolf Den

Definitely.

chamber
June 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
It's a Wolf Den

Did anyone tell Artificial Intelligence (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=19)? He appears to be quite sheepish.

nothingspecial
June 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
absolutely

KiwiNZ
June 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Did anyone tell Artificial Intelligence (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=19)? He appears to be quite sheepish.

No, AI is off to a Baa Baa Q

chamber
June 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
No, AI is off to a Baa Baa Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jv_XR6RMAI

Metallion
June 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I don't think the community café gets in the way of support posts in any way. The café should stay and wolves should be tamed.

Face-Ache
June 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
As i get to grips with Linux, specifically Ubuntu, i have utilised the Ubuntu Forums on a regular basis for help in the form of technical advice. Whilst i've personally only helped a couple of other people with issues that they have had, i'd like to be a part of, and give back to, a community that has helped me out for no other reason than to help me out.

With limited technical expertise in Ubuntu, this is really the only other viable place where i can regularly contribute, albeit simply from a social angle rather than a technical one. At this stage anyway.

I enjoy how multicultural the Ubuntu Forums are, and i like coming to this part of the forums to see the various threads, hear others opinions, and generally get to know the people around these parts.

I don't really understand the OP's point about wading through posts; it appears to me that 99% of the support posts are in the support area, either Absolute Beginner, or the other more specific sub-forums under Main Support. The off-topic posts are here in the Cafe. So i'm a bit confused as to what the actual issue is :)

It's sort of a bit like complaining about all the silly games threads in the games section! :D (i don't think they're silly either, that's just an example).

I like coming to the Cafe, and would hate to see it disappear.