PDA

View Full Version : I love Ubuntu. it just works

wbeck85
March 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM
I just have to express my love and adoration for Ubuntu. This is the most beautiful distro. I love the visual presentation.
It is also the first distro to support darned near EVERYTHING that I have.
I am using it on a Sager np4750 laptop.
usb printer, video driver, builtin BLUETOOTH hid(mx900 mouse)(wow, i am happy), powernow, sound, uh, everything but the card reader and tv tuner. BUT I AM SO HAPPY.

I have tried to get my mx900 mouse to work in Suse 9.2, Mandrake 10.1, FC3, Yoper2.1.1, vidalinux 1.1, and knoppix 3.7 (on a hdd install). I had gotten everything to work in Ubuntu, except my mouse,which i had not actually tried out yet in this distro, and i figured tonight i would make another futile attempt at getting it to work in linux. So i got the bluez stuff via synaptic and "#modprobe hidp" and "#hidd --server" and was about to continue the directions on this site http://www.bueche.ch/comp/mx900/mx900.html when i bumped my mouse and the cursor skittered accross the screen!!
I was estatic!

I love ubuntu. I hope you all do to :)

TravisNewman
March 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Oh we do! ;) That's why we spend so much time here!

jsgotangco
March 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM
you gotta really admire something "that just works" for any user

tkiesel
March 15th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I love ubuntu. I hope you all do to :)

Absolutely love it, and love the community. :)

Got Photoshop working through Wine today. My wife is the graphics artist in our household, but she seems perplexed by my "Linux obsession". :(

Slapdash
March 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
yeah, my Fiance also looks at me in a kinda "am I gonna marry a guy with a couple of screws loose"way when I tell her about stuff like "XFree86" and "UBUNTU" and "Ghu-nooh" and "Gentoo" and "FreeBSD" and "Guh-nome" and "Distributions" and "XTerminals" and "Warty Warthogs" and "Haory Hedgehogs' etc. etc :D

Its really funny when she tries to look interested in what I'm saying but she havent got a clue. Bless her ;)
i caught her the other day playing Linux breakout ( Lbreakout 2 ) and then the other day she played Pingus while I was playing on my PS2 so slowly but shurely she is using Linux without even knowing. "Where is minesweeper" she asked I just laughed

dizzie
March 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
"Where is minesweeper"

Tell her its called Gnome Mines :mrgreen:

Slapdash
March 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM
LOL I did later and she looked at me funny. :razz:

vanvan
March 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Hi,

I just want to say thank you for your great distro..

I've received the cds just now, and shared them with anyone interested in my office ;-)

Thanks again for your kindness..

E-werd
March 18th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Ubuntu works great for me. If it didn't automatically work, I was able to easily make it work via HOW-TOs (except for sound in gaming--issue has yet to be resolved). I am taken by the fact that it is a GREAT distribution based on GNOME--most of the others out there don't know how to take GNOME to its full potential.

Ubuntu found the secret to GNOME: leave it alone. GNOME is great by itself, and Ubuntu just optimizes it.

Out of the box Ubuntu comes with all the software the average user would ever need. All I had to do was install some libraries and a driver or two and I was set.

For reference, here is my system:

AMD AthlonXP 2200+
512mb PC2700 memory
ATI Radeon 9000Pro 128mb DDR
via8233a AC'97 onboard sound
Realtec 8139 onboard 10/100 (i think) network adapter
19" RIC monitor
16x DVD+-RW

HungSquirrel
March 18th, 2005, 05:50 AM
(except for sound in gaming--issue has yet to be resolved)
When I can't hear sound in a game, esd is usually to blame. killall esd in console will end any esd processes out there that are fighting with SDL for control of the sound device. This might not be your problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Oh we do! ;) That's why we spend so much time here!

Here Here!

(here)

Kakalto
March 22nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm loving ubuntu, too. I suppose that there's a lot of us :P

basse1989
March 26th, 2005, 11:08 PM