PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install the latest nVidia driver in Precise Pangolin 12.04

Cavsfan
June 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I just installed the latest nVidia driver 295.59 which came out on 2012.6.11.

1) Download the latest nVidia driver here. (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)

2) Open Module blacklist by entering this in terminal gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Add these to the file and save it:

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv3) Uninstall any previously installed Nvidia drivers: sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

4) Reboot your computer and login via recovery mode.
I had to enter "login" and then my userid and password.

5) Navigate to where you downloaded the driver.

6) Enter sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.59.run (or whatever your file name is, mine is 64 bit) to make it executable.

7) Enter sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.59.run
This should start the nVidia installer program.
It will give you a warning that you are running at runlevel 1 and to quit the installation and enter telinit 3 but, ignore that and continue.
It will ask if you want to update the xserver config and answer Y to everything.
When it completes you can enter telinit 3 and you will be looking at your normal login screen.
Entering telinit 3 is probably not the perfect thing to do but, it worked for me.

Then once you have the driver installed, you must go through this How to from this forum so that subsequent kernels that get installed have this driver installed into them.
It is very simple and it provides a way for making a couple of minor changes for the next time you install a new driver.

HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel updates (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573)

I just copy the first 2 command to a text file (gedit) and modify them as needed.
Then copy and paste them one at a time into terminal.

Then after accomplishing the first 2 lines, I clear the gedit and copy the entire script and save it as update-nvidia in my home.

OrangeVixen
April 26th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Just wanted to add that as of 2013 April 22, I was able to just go to settings and under Hardware -> Additional Drivers install the latest proprietery drivers and it worked.

I clicked on NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended] and clicked on Activate. It asked me to install and then after a download it asked me to reboot.

Rebooted without any problems. So I believe NVidia has fixed most of the problems past encountered on Precise 12.04.

Just incase you come across any problems, such as a black screen, I found these commands to help.

Reboot in recover mode (hold SHIFT during Ubuntu boot) or if you can drop to a non-graphical terminal (CTRL + ALT + F1).

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This will remove all nvidia packages and try to go back to using the default X driver.