PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] So Now What...?

fuzzer37
June 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I installed the new version of ubuntu, 12.04. I downloaded the ".iso" file because my update manager would see that there was a new update. I have 2 questions.

1.) since I downloaded the ".iso" file, shouldn't a newer version of Ubuntu appear in my boot menu?

2.) I put Ubuntu on a flash drive so i could hopefully install it. I clicked install, but when i got to the part where you have to do all the partition stuff, i got kinda confused. It kept saying to me "no root filesystem selected" or something along those lines.

Could someone please answer my questions?

Frogs Hair
June 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
What version of Ubuntu was installed when you were trying to upgrade from the update manager and was update manager set to check for new releases ? It is possible to start the upgrade process via the terminal.The commands vary based on what version of Ubuntu.

1.) since I downloaded the ".iso" file, shouldn't a newer version of Ubuntu appear in my boot menu?

No, you have simply downloaded an ISO file and not installed it. I have not used an USB for installation , but the process is described at the link.

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

wilee-nilee
June 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I installed the new version of ubuntu, 12.04. I downloaded the ".iso" file because my update manager would see that there was a new update. I have 2 questions.

2.) I put Ubuntu on a flash drive so i could hopefully install it. I clicked install, but when i got to the part where you have to do all the partition stuff, i got kinda confused. It kept saying to me "no root filesystem selected" or something along those lines.

Could someone please answer my questions?

This sounds like a wubi install, wait for proper help.

A wubi is a install from windows.

Ask the mods to make the thread header appropriate to your situation, by reporting yourself.

So Now What...? Is not even close to being a clue to your problem.